C25K participants!

Options
I just started C25K this morning and it dawned on me that I have no idea how to "log" it in for my exercise! I tried searching for it thinking maybe I could find something that would have already been entered by someone else that would give a generic idea of what I did, but no luck. Plus, I don't want to say that I'm running for 30 minutes when I'm actually walking for 5, running for seconds, walking for seconds, etc.

I was hoping for something along the lines of "Week 1 Day 1" you know, I ran for this much time and walked for this much time, etc. But... yeah... new to C25K... new to MFP... help me out! Suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• smekbeck
    smekbeck Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What is C25K? I keep hearing people on here refer to that and i can't figure out what it is??
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What is C25K? I keep hearing people on here refer to that and i can't figure out what it is??

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Trains you to get off the couch in run - in 9 weeks - 3 times a week.

----

I have a fitbit so I just let that calculate for me, but a Heart Rate Monitor would also work well.
  • beckyh444
    beckyh444 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use the map my run app which tells me how far/fast I ran and log my speed in with the time. So yesterday I did 30 minutes at 5.0 miles per hour average speed. I was running faster and walking slower but it averaged to that so that's what I logged.
  • nellelaughs
    Options
    I calculated the distance I went and divided by a half hour, so it translated, for me, to 3.5 mph, which is "walking, brisk pace."
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Get a Heart Rate Monitor.. thats how I track mine.

I just input what my HRM says and created my own exercise C25K with HRM.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3.5 mph ... I run at 5-5.5 mph ... my typical avg is 4.3 - 4.9 mph for my c25k workouts ...
    I time my workouts with a casio runners watch where I can log lap times.
    Use google maps to determine path length or a HS 400m (0.25 mile) track.
    Use simple math to determine speed.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post a C25K question, and found this so I guess I'll start here...

Just this morning I found out about a 5K that is in late September that I'd like to run in. I've never ran before in my life, other than sprinting a block with my dog. But I have been exercising since May.

So my question to current C25K users - is 7 weeks enough time to train to do a 5K? I'm pretty sure I could walk 5K if I tried, and I don't want to win or anything, I just want to finish.
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi Lissie!

I broke it down and logged my total amount of running sections at their MPH and then entered my total amount of walking sections at their MPH. I don't know if that's right or wrong, but I figured that way I wasn't overcalculating. I figured up the 1st day had 9 minutes of running and 21 minutes of walking. I continued walking a little longer than the app said on my iphone because I needed to cool down some so my walking entry was a hair more than 21 minutes, but hopefully you get the idea of what I'm trying to convey.

I do like the HRM that has been suggested. I want to get a little bit more into this before I purchase one, but I can see me going that route in the near future.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post a C25K question, and found this so I guess I'll start here...

Just this morning I found out about a 5K that is in late September that I'd like to run in. I've never ran before in my life, other than sprinting a block with my dog. But I have been exercising since May.

So my question to current C25K users - is 7 weeks enough time to train to do a 5K? I'm pretty sure I could walk 5K if I tried, and I don't want to win or anything, I just want to finish.

Why not try it? Just dont try to take off at a break neck speed, maintain a good pace that is right for your fitness level and give it a go. Nothing is as thrilling as your very first 5k and you will feel proud of yourself for finishing!