Too FEW calories???

Options
Occasionally, I run into a problem where I will eat far too few calories, but I will be relatively full/not hungry. For instance, today I ate tons and tons, but it was primarily veggies. My calorie count was 900 calories short of my goal and 300 calories short of even 1200 calories. My concern is that I will put my body into "starvation mode." My daily caloric intake is 1850. This number works for me and I have been seeing a loss of 3+ lbs a week for the last couple weeks. Therefore, I worry about what such a drastic decrease could do to my metabolism. Today, I did eat some healthy vegetarian lentil chili to get the number at least up to 1200.

I'm interested in getting some other peoples opinions :)

Replies

• T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode won't happen after having the occasional low day. It would have to be a persistent thing and way below your necessary caloric intake. You'd have to be starving yourself, hence the term.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I agree, if it happens all the time, it becomes a problem. If it happens once in a while, no big deal. If you are really having trouble netting above 1200, you might try incorporating more calorie dense foods into your diet like nuts, peanut butter, cheese etc.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Agreed - one day is not an issue, in fact lots of people do it - it's call calorie cycling.

Just make sure that your weekly calories come out somewhere near the number you are aiming for.
  • JuliaSchumacher
    Options
    Starvation mode won't happen after having the occasional low day. It would have to be a persistent thing and way below your necessary caloric intake. You'd have to be starving yourself, hence the term.

I guess I should have explained better :) I dont believe that I will go into total "starvation mode." I just don't want to slow my metabolism. I have a very low metabolism due to thyroid issues and have to take a medication for it. Just concerned about whether I should eat a few healthy bites to get my up to at least 1200 even if i don't feel too hungry.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

I guess I should have explained better :) I dont believe that I will go into total "starvation mode." I just don't want to slow my metabolism. I have a very low metabolism due to thyroid issues and have to take a medication for it. Just concerned about whether I should eat a few healthy bites to get my up to at least 1200 even if i don't feel too hungry.

I'm not a big fan of the "listen to your body, only eat when hungry" theory.
    I am happier and healthier (and thinner) than ever before in my adult life by eating a reasonable amount (1500 - 2500 cals/day depending on exercise) even when I'm not feeling especially hungry.
    This doesn't mean I stuff myself (usually!) but I plan my meals and snacks and eat regularly, I don't wait until I feel hungry.
    That's not to say this is right for everyone, but it certainly works well for me.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    keep an eye on your weekly net calories as well. I eat between 1200 & 1500 calories but my net is low some days by as much as 600 but it seems to all avg out over the week.