women, any cycles messed up by weight loss??

Options
since losing weight my cycles have changed from the normal 28day cycle with ovulation at day 14 to 33day cycles or longer! i even missed 2 periods when i got to my lowest body fat but now its higher im having really strange periods. last cycle was 33days this cycle im now on day 35 with no signs of AF!

anyone else have this happen?

Replies

• LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    are you exercising a lot? I heard it can effect your cycle but not sure how true it is
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    Options
    are you exercising a lot? I heard it can effect your cycle but not sure how true it is

no more than ever infact now its school holidays iv not been doing as much as dont have as much time!
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    Yes, and its a pain in the *kitten* I tell you what.

Since I have loads of fat stores that are being depleted my Dr. says my hormones may go crazy for awhile. He wasn't joking. I have currently been on my period for three weeks. I went from having a very typical 28 day cycle, 4 day period and am on the same birth control as previously...

My last two periods, however, have been long and drawn out to say the least.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have skipped a couple periods over the course of the past year and a half, and my cycle has changed a couple times too......

If your body fat gets too low you risk not even being able to menstruate, so be careful there.
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did go through about 2 months of getting my period almost every week a while ago about 2 months after I started losing weight and exercising I have the implant in my arm and thought it was that playing up as you normally don't get your period with that, it could have been my body adjusting i guess as haven't had them now since

Hope it settles down for you soon
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, when I was losing weight very quickly, I had problems with constant 'spotting'. This went on for around 3 months, then nothing for two months. The only thing that regulated it was going back on the pill...
  • francesiax
    Options
    For roughly every half a stone you lose or gain your hormones change and with that comes a messed up period. Once your weight stays stable then your hormones will settle down. Hope this helps.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Yes, I ended up being 2 weeks late when I really started going to the gym and losing weight so I think it does have an impact. I'm fairly regular now though. :)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    yep! in fact, i was just talking to a nutritionist about this the other day. i complained about my periods being all messed up and not sure when i'd be starting and she said weight loss or extreme workouts can mess up your hormones.

I personally, have had 2 periods a month some months and no period at all others. she suggested i see my dr about changing my birth control. i just started mine this morning and according to my birth control... i'm not due for a week.
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    Options
    For roughly every half a stone you lose or gain your hormones change and with that comes a messed up period. Once your weight stays stable then your hormones will settle down. Hope this helps.

iv only lost and gained the same few pounds now for last 6months!
  • francesiax
    Options
    Mmm. Maybe pop in to see your dr. It probably is even those few pounds but I'd do it just to put my mind at ease. Give it a few more months hopefully it will settle down.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I know I get boated the week before...
  • sazvampire
    Options
    Mine were absolutely fine until January when I started my weight loss, have been mucking around a bit and since April they have become shorter by a day but really painful. I am on the strongest painkillers I can be on (codeine allergy) and I go nuts on bc so am just having to put up with it for the time being. Hopefully it will settle down and stop hurting constantly for 5 days!
  • New_Keeley
    New_Keeley Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes intially....went from 30 day cycle to 32 now I sit at 34 days. Took about 6months to even out. I think at one point it was 46 days!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Boy was I glad to see this thread! I just went 7 weeks between mine. Had an ablation in November and was hoping they would stop all together, they didn't. Then I missed my July TOM (supposed to hit around the 1st and it didn't). It just showed up on Friday. I have lost about 28 lbs. to date, so that very well might have something to do with things changing, it seems!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. My cycles are wacky now. I'm a group exercise teacher so I workout a lot. ever since I did this and lost 40lbs originally I've been random with my TOM.
  • Rennae9
    Rennae9 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes....I just went to my OBGYN the other day. I have had two periods this past month and irregular periods since I started my weight loss in April of this year. I am going today to have an ultrasound and possible biopsy to rule out all the really bad stuff first. She said if all that is normal of course it will be my body fat being lowered so quickly that caused the weirdness.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    yes messed up, Ive had 3 pregnancy tests in the past 18 or so months :O .... after missed periods. I missed two in a row at one point