Oat meal

Options
svesemenja
svesemenja Posts: 67 Member
So today I bought oat meal, but I have no clue what do to with it.. I have never ate anything similar not even the cereals, I am not really fond of them, but today in the store I just took regular oat meal to give it a try..

Any suggestions how to make it? I am planing to eat it for breakfast, since usually i dont have a lot of time in the morning for cooking.

Replies

• diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast, I've got 4 children and my mornings are very busy. This is what I do:
    half a cup of oat meal
    One cup of water or milk (or half and half)

Put it on a glass bowl and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, (make sure it is a tall bowl or it will bubble over)
    I usually make the packed lunches while this is cooking or have a shower!

Pour into a bowl and add frozen blueberries, or raspberries and slices banana ( the frozen blueberries cool it down and turn it a lovely purple colour!)

Sometimes I add ground mixed seeds or nuts for a change.

If I don't have time to eat it, I put it in a pot and take it to work and eat it when I get in!

In the winter I do a big pan and everyone has it for breakfast!

I also grind it and use it as flour to make pancakes because I can't eat wheat!

have fun experimenting!
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love it uncooked...put in bowl pour milk over and add dried fruit (I love blueberries and cherries) and chopped nuts...I eat it every day and love it!!!!! Makes not difference if you cook or eat raw ..up to you!!! (by the way, it's one of the HEALTHIEST breakfasts you can eat and it keeps you full for hours!!!!)
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I also eat oatmeal everyday! I put 1/2 cup in a good size bowl with 1 cup of water, 1 Tbl flax meal, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 Tbl. walnuts (or sliced almonds) 1 scoop of protein powder (if I have a big/busy morning)
    Then I let this soak while I exercise and shower( an hour + usually).. Oatmeal will absorb the water and "bulk" up, making it seem like you are eating tons more. Then I add 1/2-1 cup of unsweetened almond milk and microwave for 1-2 minutes.
  • svesemenja
    svesemenja Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great... Thank you so much..
    I love cinnamon.. Years ago I used to drink every morning lemonade with cinnamon.. it was so tasty... I will def add some cinnamon.
    I will try tomorrow morning..
  • KateL1969
    KateL1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I keep it at work and put some in the microwave when I get hungry. I'm happy to eat it plain just made up with semi skimmed milk. Need to cook half a cup for at least 3 minutes so its soft and have to add more liquid after its cooked so its runny enough. In Britain you can buy smart price Oats in all supermarkets. Its cheap and good for you. Might think about grinding it and using it for pancakes - great idea suleng!
  • diadojikohei
    Options
    I discovered the ground oats as a flour substitute by accident! I was making pancakes for my children and was really missing being able to eat them because of the flour (which gives me stomach cramps) and it worked so well the children ate them too!
    Oat pancakes with natural yoghurt, banana and a dribble of maple syrup yummy yum yum!
    Also works as a crumble topping!
  • diadojikohei
    Options
    Oh yes and sometimes I mix in tuna or mackerel and have them for supper with salad, you have too use more egg for this as they are quite fragile to turn over in the pan!
    Good luck!
  • nrd2212
    nrd2212 Posts: 128
    Options
    cook with peanut butter and apple or banana or strawberries

I made it earlier with my chocolate protein powder and cocoa powder, it was awesome!
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I cook it per the instructions, then add a tbsp of natural PB and a scoop of chocolate whey protein for breakfast occassionally.
    I also use oatmeal to replace bread crumbs in my turkey meatloaf.
    Also use it with cottage cheese and eggwhites to make "pancakes"
  • steffcontreras
    Options
    I love the different ways everyone makes their oatmeal! i'm excited to try some of those ideas now!:happy:
  • amandajam2012
    Options
    I buy Quaker maple and brown sugar oatmeal and I add strawberries or banana
  • pink2lady
    pink2lady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch and store it in the refrigerator and heat it up daily (saves time).
    In a blender I add the water or unsweetend almond milk
    add flax seed
    cinn. spice
    a dash of pumpkin spice
    1 cut up apple with skin
    1 banana
    a little honey
    blend till the flax see is ground up.
    Pour mixture in the pot with steal cut oats.
    Takes about 15 min. to cook on stove top.
    I like to add fresh strawberries cut up on time after I heat a small (1/2 cup cooked oats) bowl
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal: 1/2 c oatmeal, 1/2 c greek yogurt, 1/2 c almond milk (can also add chia seeds, protein powder), mix up and put in refrigerator overnight or for at least 20-30 min for the oatmeal/chia seeds to absord liquid. Stir and add your choice of fruit -- enjoy! There are many different combinations, just look it up online.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    1 scoop of protein powder, chia seeds & tbspn peanut butter !!!!! Hello "Proatmeal" !!! :-)
  • TJsAprilia
    TJsAprilia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oats (http://www.mccanns.ie/) is my favorit Oat Meal! They have an awsome section on the website for what to do with the oat meal... I have tried alot of them and they are great. Some are really good for making in advance and grabing on the go in the AM...

http://www.mccanns.ie/recipes.html
  • LelaYang
    LelaYang Posts: 43
    Options
    I use a vanilla flavored milk. I buy the plain quaker oatmeal and put about 1/3-2/3 of a cup size into a bowl. I pour in some of my favorite frozen berries...any will do...I fill up the bowl with milk until the milk is covering the oatmeal a little...put it in the microwave for 2 minutes...stir...add a banana for protein and there you go! It's cheap, easy, healthy, and fulfilling :) Every morning I crave eggs, bacon, hashbrowns...but I remember how wonderful oatmeal makes me feel in the morning. My stomach is still flat and I start my day knowing I made the right choice. Nothing can beat that.
  • LelaYang
    LelaYang Posts: 43
    Options
    I love the different ways everyone makes their oatmeal! i'm excited to try some of those ideas now!:happy:

I agree!!!