Healthy peanut butters?

Options
ctooch99
ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
So I am doing better shopping the outer aisles of the market, but someone pointed out in my food diary that my PB of choice is Jif which is pretty lame by healthy eating standards. I have tried all natural peanut butters before, but quite honestly I have found their runny, oily consistency to be be nasty to my palette

Anyone find a decent, healthy peanut butter that lasts, tastes good and is smooth without turning into an oily mess?

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Bump - Jif addict here. Need the info as well.
  • elinakalna
    Options
    What makes the peanut butter smooth and silky is the hydrogenated vegetable fat, which acts as emulsifier, added at the end of the manufacturing process.
    If you want healthy peanut or any nut butter it will be oily as the natural nut oil does separate without emulsifier.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I use Jif as well, but my All Natural PB of choice is Skippy, it's a little bit runny but I mix it a bit and it's not as bad.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Smart Balance makes a good natural pb. Even has omega-3.
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Teddies All Natural is good. they have other options as well...some with flaxseed. chunky, etc. and i actually find Teddies to be quite thick.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Try PB2. It's a powdered peanut butter. Just add a tablespoon of water. Two tablespoons is 45 calories. I use it in smoothies and for PB&J. I've seen it in health food stores here locally but you can also order online.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Teddies All Natural is good. they have other options as well...some with flaxseed. chunky, etc. and i actually find Teddies to be quite thick.

I like Teddies as well. Just have to stir it up really well before using it.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just eat regular PB. It might not be perfect, but it's got high protein and it's tasty.

If you have a food processor you could try making nut butters- search "Oh she glows almond butter" for recipies. But overall, I wouldn't worry too much about changing your PB if you enjoy it.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Whole earth organic peanut butter is lovely. I have it every day. Not sure where you are from but in the Uk its available in most shops.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I love meridian - not sure if you have it over there...could be just a UK brand but I adore their almond butter, its just like regular peanut butter to me. I've got a jar of their cashew butter to try next!! Yum! xx
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I've tried pretty much every peanut butter out there and nothing compares to Jif (in my mind anyway) so when I want peanut butter, I have Jif. To me it's worth it since I work it into my day
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    under ingredients the first and pretty much the only ingredient should say:
    Peanuts
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Jif All Natural is my favorite! I have tried a ton of natural peanut buttter and this one I am sticking with!
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    get one that has the following ingredients: "peanuts" that's it, nothing more
  • JamieAshman91
    JamieAshman91 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Whole Earth Organic Peanut Butter <33
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    PB2 is awesome!!! Low in fat and calories, and is great in protein shakes!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Skippy Natural is the best-tasting peanut butter I have ever had. It does have added sugar (though it's very low per serving) and oil, but peanut butter is peanut butter as far as calories and fat. It's not a "true natural," but I like the taste better and it doesn't have HFCS or trans fats.
  • MrsB724
    MrsB724 Posts: 247
    Options
    Smuckers makes a natural peanut butter that is not oily and really good. I think it's just Smucker's Natural or something and its right by the Jif at the grocery store.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I love JIF all natural :)

But I also love Naturally More Peanut Butter. 169 cals, 14g fat, 7 carb, and 9 protein for 2T. You only have to stir it once, and then it stays like that, AND you don't have to refrigerate it :)
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Also, if you dont like PB2, you can grind your own at Wholefoods!