Advices for my huge legs&bum, i'm not proportioned (pics)

Options
2»

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Do a full combo of what was mentioned above. Lose more fat overall, train your entire body with weights, focus on upper body lifts to gain proprtion. Realize that if you do resistance training that actually grows your leg muscles without losing the fat on them, they will just look bigger. So if you do that and no upper body training you will look even more like you don't want to. Large amount of info on losing fat and gaining muscle etc can be found here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • MaudeBeige
    MaudeBeige Posts: 282
    Options
    I'm a pear too! Does my head in. Was told that I had lost enough weight a while ago but my bum and hips had another story to tell! I put a bit more back on and ALL of it went straight to my hips and butt...

I think some of us are just this shape and will always battle to find clothes that fit our waists and bums - on me they're like they're from two different bodies!
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Weightlift!! Weightlifting is your buddy :) Workout your legs every other day! (be sure to have your 1-2 rest days) Squats, Lundges and tons of other great workouts for your bum and thighs. Everyone has their "problem" areas. Extra fat hits my thighs and chest like a tons of bricks! Google lower body workouts. http://fitbie.msn.com/ and http://www.oxygenmag.com have awesome workouts that you can do at home. But everyone is right, you need to weightlift and not spot train. Spot training (just focusing on your thighs) doesn't help. Keep working out your total body. Your thighs and bum will soon see it's reward :)
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have the same body type too. I like to do wind sprints once a week or so. I could be wrong, but those seem to make my butt and thighs feel less jiggly.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue and found that the butt bible (cheap on amazon) really helps to tone and lift your butt if you can stick with it.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Pilates with the machine (not the floor work/yoga type), or barre workouts.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose more fat on your thighs you just have to keep losing weight all over. You have a classic pear shape, and will no matter how much you weigh! This means you will probably get thinner everywhere, not just your bottom half. Squats, lunges, and other leg strength training techniques will help your thighs and bum look firmer but not smaller. Alternatively, doing arms, shoulders, and back strength training could broaden your top half a bit and make you feel more proportional.

I personally think you look great as you are, but that you look like you would still be healthy if you lost more or gained more muscle. It all depends on what type of body you want - - slim, curvy (which I think you are now!), or athletic. All are achievable with a pear shape!

This ^^^^

I agree that squats and lunges will not help a pear/spoon shaped woman. It would be better to do a variety of leg lifts, such as push-outs and scissors. Strengthening your quads won't help slim your inner thighs, but strengthening your upper body will make you look more proportioned. Also, your overall body fat has to decrease.

From http://www.enotalone.com/health/5789.html
    Best Exercises for Escaping Your Spoon Shape

Jumping rope with a speed rope
    Stationary biking with light resistance only and high RPMs (90 to 120)
    Jumping jacks
    Ski machines with light resistance for lower body and high resistance for upper body
    Standing knee to opposite chest, L-kicks, leg-outs, one-legged leg lifts, and vertical scissors
    Side leg lifts
    Marching in place on toes
    All variations of push-ups
    Chin-ups, pull-ups
    Dips
    If overweight, fast walking or slow jogging with no incline or hills
    If not overweight, all or any upper-body exercises with moderate to heavy weights and dead lifts with no weight

I have been doing these for three weeks and I'm already seeing wonderful progress when I take my measurements each week.
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Spinning!!!!Great for lower body completely changed the shape of your legs
  • Lotusstarr
    Lotusstarr Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've been following Cassey Ho on Blogilates.com She does some great focused Pilates workouts you might want to check out! Also if you follow her she'll give you a monthly schedule to pick out... You can also follow her on YouTube.com Pop Pilates Channel!
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! I think in your case, I'd focus more on getting the right clothes than obsessing to get rid of a curvy bottom half. As I'd say to my daughter, "You're not too big... you're just the right size. It's the clothes that don't fit YOU."

I have the same shape (but am much heavier than you right now). My weight has gone down 50lb and then up again, and it was astounding to me that from the high to the low and back again, my shape stayed exactly the same. I went down 5 pants sizes, and it was still the same body, but in a smaller package. So, I definitely think there is some truth to saying that there are certain inherent shapes to people.

Great advice from the other posts about cardio and weights! I'll definitely keep this post for reference. :)
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I'm similar to this. I lift heavy, lots of squats, lunges and ploy metric training. Also use spin bike, walking, and stepper. I'm naturally big hips, thighs and bum!
  • hteapot
    hteapot Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Weightlift!! Weightlifting is your buddy :) Workout your legs every other day! (be sure to have your 1-2 rest days) Squats, Lundges and tons of other great workouts for your bum and thighs. Everyone has their "problem" areas. Extra fat hits my thighs and chest like a tons of bricks! Google lower body workouts. http://fitbie.msn.com/ and http://www.oxygenmag.com have awesome workouts that you can do at home. But everyone is right, you need to weightlift and not spot train. Spot training (just focusing on your thighs) doesn't help. Keep working out your total body. Your thighs and bum will soon see it's reward :)

Completely agree!! I am also pear shaped and I notice a HUGE difference when I weightlift. Total body workouts all the way!!