Just started couch25K - Treadmill okay?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've never used a treadmill before. I always think of it as being something to do while watching TV. IDK why that is. :laugh:

I agree with some of the other posts though to do whichever you enjoy the most. If you are enjoying your exercise, you won't look for excuses to avoid it.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've just started the awesome couch to 5 K. I was wondering however whether the treadmill is best or outside or both? I have a treadmill in my house and prefer it as it rains a lot here. I was wondering however if I am missing out by using my treadmill?

Please let me know your thoughts.
    Jennifer

if it is at all possible, do it outdoors. you will not only have fresh air ( unless you live in LA), but also face lots of different terrain and environments like wind,weather, etc that a treadmill simply won't give. I know people who have finished c25k and still won't step off the deadfall. Liberate yourself and run the way running is meant to be...in the open.

Of course, you might have extreme heat etc in which case running on the deadfall is better than no run at all, but I'd strongly advise you to take it outside and ENJOY it!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    THe OP is in Edinburgh... :-)
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I loved, loved, LOVED my treadmill when I first started running. If I hadn't had one I probably wouldn't have kept it up. Been running for about 3.5yrs now and would much rather go outside. Sometimes I'll still do intervals on the treadmill because I'm lazy :/. Do whatever keeps you motivated and consistent. Good luck :)
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Options
    I just started today and I am using a treadmill. It is way too humid and rainy here in Florida to do it outside. I have no intentions of ever joining a race, so it's not a concern for me :) If you have an iPhone, there is an awesome, free app that works with C25K. No idea if it's on Android or not, but I totally recommend it!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I raised the incline to 2% to make it a little harder.
  • theshow4jsu
    theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill all the time, where I live there is not an area that is conducive to outside running. One of my friends is a personal trainer, he said that putting the treadmill at a 2% incline best simulates running outside. He also said that treadmills are good for new runners because it helps pace so that you don't wear yourself out in your first mile. I also alternate long runs with hill training on the treadmill.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Running outside is mind blowing awesome. Just sayin'
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's totally ok. I, personally, love my treadmill. If I had to run outside every time, I'd never get it done. I hate running outside because I hate being in the sun, my neighborhood isn't nice enough to do it at night and my allergies act up really badly sometimes. I do it every now and then just to change it up though (and to use my zombies, run! app).

I agree with what others said about the incline. I started c25k in March of last year after not ever running in my life. I did did it only on my treadmill and at a 2.5 incline because if I had it flat, my treadmill would shut off. It definitely helped because when I did my first 5k, I ran it 4 minutes faster than I'd ever done on my treadmill. I even did a half-marathon after doing about 95% of my training on the treadmill. Do whatever you enjoy most and will keep you going.
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with using the treadmill. But running outdoors is much more fun. (I learned to run through the UK winter, outdoors, so I know what you mean about the rain!)

Okay, I am sold! Looking at how much you've lost, I am so inspired. Well done you :). I am really motivated by so many on here and this is why I LOVE this site :D
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the treadmill. I'm aware that my first run outside will probably put me under, but I'm ok with that. I get up at 6:30 am to run in the mornings and having that treadmill keeps me motivated. Don't let "not being able to run outside bc of whether etc" keep you from running, jump on the treadmill, build yourself up and then migrate outside at some point. I haven't gotten outside yet. I do plan to start using the inside track at my college when school starts back to get me "self" moving and get more used to not being so dependent on the treadmill. But I wouldn't bash the treadmill for nothing. I love it!
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    I loved, loved, LOVED my treadmill when I first started running. If I hadn't had one I probably wouldn't have kept it up. Been running for about 3.5yrs now and would much rather go outside. Sometimes I'll still do intervals on the treadmill because I'm lazy :/. Do whatever keeps you motivated and consistent. Good luck :)

Hey, I love your dog :) How old is she/he?

Thanks for the response :D
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    Hi all,

I just wanted to say thanks again for all of your helpful replies. I don't have time to respond to each of you, but please know how helpful this has all been to me.

:)
  • laprimrose
    Options
    The coush25K is awesome, my wife and I started it a little over a week ago and we ran around the park. My job im on the road a lot and in and out of hotels. So I ran on the treadmill at the hotel and I loved it my knees do not hurt.. So I feel like that i hed a better workout...Your body will tell you what you dont like...Good luck and have fun doing it..!!!
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 day 3 of the C25K program. I've done it all on the treadmill so far. I know I need to get outside and I like the idea of pushing for day 3 to be an outside run. The weather here (VA) is miserable so there are few days where I could motivate myself to run outside. If it's not 1 million degrees and humid it's cold and raining, or my allergies kill me.

When I run/jog on the treadmill I set the incline to 0.5. I see a lot of people putting percentages here for inclines. I'm not so good at math, what would be the preferred decimal number to increase the difficulty a little without tearing up my knees?
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    For me it was like most others are saying. It's good if that's all you can do but outside feels really different. The sidewalk doesn't give that bounce. Another good thing about the street/sidewalk is it prepares you for hills from the beginning. I did my C25K at a school track. The even surface plane really spoiled me. Getting out on the pavement I felt fine until I had to climb a slope. Took a few more runs to get used to those.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I found running on the treadmill and running outside to be two completely different ballgames. I did four weeks of couch to 5k on the treadmill and then attempted to walk/run a 5k and it was as if I had never ran a minute in my life.

After I did a whole bunch of reading, most places say setting your treadmill to a 3-4% incline makes the resistance more similar to that you face running on pavement.

Unfortunately for me, pavement running really hurts my back, so no "real" 5k for me :o(
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've just started the awesome couch to 5 K. I was wondering however whether the treadmill is best or outside or both? I have a treadmill in my house and prefer it as it rains a lot here. I was wondering however if I am missing out by using my treadmill?

Please let me know your thoughts.
    Jennifer

I am on my 2nd time through C25K. As a beginner, it is much easier to do on a treadmill; learning your ability, whats too fast, what is a good speed, foot placement (to avoid shin splints) are all good reasons to start on a treadmill.

I use a treadmill because right now my husband and I dont feel our knees can handle road running just yet. We want to lose some more weight before taking this outside, but plan to be running a couple 5ks by April or May. Another reason we use the treadmill is that Wisconsin weather is not conducive to outdoor running: overweight and uncoordinated & attempting to move fast on wet/icy/snow covered pavement is a recipe for disaster to be sure! :tongue:

If you do stay on the treadmill for a while, definitely make it a point of using the incline feature. 0 incline doesn't do much. 1-2 incline will more mimic actual road difficulty and it increases your calorie burn.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I hate the dreadmill. Not only is it boring, but it's not preparing you for running outside (if you plan to race) and it's not going to give you as much of a calorie burn since it's "moving the road" for you. The only time I don't go outside is if it's pouring rain, thunder/lightning, or icy. The first because I don't trust drivers to not hit me, the second because it's just dangerous, and the third for both reasons. I take my 13 month old on nearly all my runs as well (even when it's cold!). She loves it. :)
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am currently on week 5 and have done all of it on the treadmill so far;) I have set my incline at a 2.
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 and have done most of my training on the treadmill. I have never ran before and am not in very good shape so starting out on a treadmill was my method of choice. I honestly feel that if it had been too hard, I would have given up. Now I love my work outs, I still feel challenged and one day I WILL run outside and in a REAL 5k. :)
    I set the treadmill on a 1% incline and on tough days, I run flat. According to the articles I have read on C25K training, do what you feel most comfortable with and complete the program. Once you are finished you can work on pace, running outdoors, hills, etc.