Mystery of the fat vegan

Options
_VoV
_VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
Finally.

Someone has written a blog to express how someone can be a fat vegan. I am a fat vegan, so I get to say that in bold terms. Somehow, people doubt you are 'really vegan' if you are fat. But, anyone can overeat. Anyone can be tortured with emotional eating.

Here's a link to the blog that explains all this so well:

http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/07/where-im-at-with-plant-based-diet-good.html

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I have to admit I've always wondered how someone can be a fat vegan. lol My fat comes from cheesey pasta sauces, butter on everything, and desserts which are all made with dairy products. Every vegan I've met is rail thin.

I know a vegetarian can get fat if they are eating pasta all day long, with no protein you have to eat a ton. But I figure a vegan is the smartest one of the bunch because she has to carefully plan out all nutrients. I would assume part of the mindset of being a vegan is cooking nutritious meals for yourself because you can't buy ready foods easily, that they wouldn't be filling up on vegan granola bars and chips. In restaurants a vegan can only order salad so I figure eating out isn't the issue. Maybe it's hard to stay full as a vegan without carefully calculating your protein intake.

I do follow a vegan recipe blog and some of the recipes do seem so high in calories but the author is rail thin. Although she did admit she used to have an eating disorder so maybe she doesn't eat the recipes she makes?
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I can one better! I was a fat RAW VEGAN! I know people would look at me strange and not believe that I was overweight when all I ate was salad, fruit, and nuts. That's right...fat on salad. It can be done. I test logged in what I was eating on my salad's (gobs of tahini dressing and avocado's) and overindulging on spoonful after spoonful of PB and I was eating close to 3000 a day just eating 3-4 salads, nuts, and some PB!

I'm no longer eating raw, I'm mostly vegan, but tracking my calories and losing when eating more variety of foods than I was before...because of the calorie content. It is possible to be an overweight vegan, for sure!
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    Options
    Fat raw vegan??????? I understand how you can be a fat vegan, very easily, but no idea if you're eating raw lol.
    There are plenty of good vegan cakes out there, plus you can still eat chips, dark chocolate, bread, vegan cream, vegan ice cream, oil, vegan cheese, pastry. I don't know how it could confuse anyone.
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Fat raw vegan??????? I understand how you can be a fat vegan, very easily, but no idea if you're eating raw lol.
    There are plenty of good vegan cakes out there, plus you can still eat chips, dark chocolate, bread, vegan cream, vegan ice cream, oil, vegan cheese, pastry. I don't know how it could confuse anyone.

yep! I'm proof. It's still about calories, and I was eating upwards of 13 TBSP of tahini, 3 avocado's, and nuts & PB enough to get those calories up pretty high. I actually used to whine and complain that I couldn't lose even being a raw vegan and everyone else could eat what they wanted. Unique-snowflake-syndrome! :laugh: Nope, just too many calories. I'm eating 1600 now, I have vegan burgers/sausage, salad, yogurt, and even some low calorie snack food and I'm losing. I was a raw vegan for the past 5 years and actually gained weight in the last 2 years b/c of my calories.
  • _VoV
    Options
    Some vegans are motivated by issues other than personal health--animal welfare and the environment to name a couple. So, I would never assume such vegans naturally eat well. But the kicker for me is this: I'm an ethical vegan who is trying to eat healthfully, but I can still overeat, and succumb to nighttime eating when I don't want to. Eating vegan hasn't magically eliminated this tendency to turn to food when I'm stressed, bored, etc.
  • GypsyGal97
    Options
    I'm an ethical vegan. One word
    PASTA. :laugh:
    I think eating when stressed and bored has nothing to do with being vegan (unless you're really deficient in something). For me it's just a matter of chewing everything really well and enjoying it. I used to think about food all the time and that's not good. That's my problem. I gained 5 pounds by doing that because I had (and still have to some degree) an anxieties about food. The truth is that if I wasn't a vegan I would have definitely gained more than 5.
  • _VoV
    Options
    I'm an ethical vegan. One word
    PASTA. :laugh:
    I think eating when stressed and bored has nothing to do with being vegan (unless you're really deficient in something). For me it's just a matter of chewing everything really well and enjoying it. I used to think about food all the time and that's not good. That's my problem. I gained 5 pounds by doing that because I had (and still have to some degree) an anxieties about food. The truth is that if I wasn't a vegan I would have definitely gained more than 5.

I agree. Being vegan and being an emotional eater are two different issues. And I agree---pasta can definitely not be your friend as a vegan who wants to lose weight.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Going overboard as a calorie surplus will do that regardless of which manner of eating you follow. And considering that many plant-based foods are nutrient dense with a lot of calories, it can be pretty easy to gain weight quickly if you do not monitor and assess yourself on a regular basis.
  • Anna800
    Options
    I can one better! I was a fat RAW VEGAN! I know people would look at me strange and not believe that I was overweight when all I ate was salad, fruit, and nuts. That's right...fat on salad. It can be done. I test logged in what I was eating on my salad's (gobs of tahini dressing and avocado's) and overindulging on spoonful after spoonful of PB and I was eating close to 3000 a day just eating 3-4 salads, nuts, and some PB!

I'm no longer eating raw, I'm mostly vegan, but tracking my calories and losing when eating more variety of foods than I was before...because of the calorie content. It is possible to be an overweight vegan, for sure!

Oh wow, well I believe you! lol
  • DeterminedRealist
    DeterminedRealist Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Two unrelated friends of mine had been vegetarian all of their adult lives, one was plump and the other was of normal body weight. The only difference that I could see between them was portion control. Alas the thinner gal passed away from colon cancer. I puzzled over this for quite some time until I realized it was that she was not eating more veggies than anything else, she was eating cheese and pasta, and other highly processed foods including sugar. Only recently have I learned that these choices can be hazardous to one's health. Three of her siblings also passed away from cancer at young ages. How painful for her parents (also my friends).

The key to healthy vegetarian/vegan-ism seems to be the plant based WHOLE foods, unprocessed is best. Portion control is also very important. Just because it is a fruit (natural sugar) or a vegetable is not a license to over-fuel your body. These marvelously resilient bodies weren't designed to handle all that we throw inside them.

I am a newly vegan and making some adjustments by adding egg whites and possibly fish. If that makes me no longer vegan, so be it. I can live with that. Whole grains, 100% whole grains (only about 1/2 cup a DAY), and fresh whole veggies (read this as GREEN, purple, yellow and red) non-starchy veggies at that make up the bulk of my food pyramid. No processed sugar or flour period is my ultimate. Counting my calories and nutrients will be part of my life for EVER. Yes, I am passionate about the details.

The rules are the same if you call yourself vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian or omnivore; watch your portions and food values hydrate properly and MOVE your body daily!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't have an opinion on this other than this sounds like a good title for a documentary.

That and you can get fat by overeating calories regardless of your nutritional philosophies.
  • saracakessaracakes
    Options
    I'm vegan and can understand how it would be possible to gain weight even on such a healthy diet as this.

Crisps are my vice! Also, avocados are high in calories and I didn't know this before logging on Myfitnesspal.

Saying that though, it is still pretty rare to see a fat vegan - you'd have to try hard to eat lots of junk! ;)
  • Anna800
    Options

I am a newly vegan and making some adjustments by adding egg whites and possibly fish. If that makes me no longer vegan, so be it. I can live with that.

Umm....please don't call yourself a vegan.
  • Anna800
    Options
  • _VoV
    Options

I am a newly vegan and making some adjustments by adding egg whites and possibly fish. If that makes me no longer vegan, so be it. I can live with that.

I say: Vive la Vegan-ish!!

We live in an imperfect world, and we are all human. Being 'vegan at heart' even if you aren't hardcore vegan still makes a huge difference in so many ways. We need to back away from any illusions of perfectionism.

Here's a GREAT read on the subject:

http://www.carpevegan.com/?p=1923
  • geekyjock76
    Options

Tell that to every vegan who uses agave syrup then since it contains more concentrated fructose than HFCS.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I could totally be a fat vegan, if I could eat peanuts. Peanut butter is the most fattening food on the planet. As it is, I would be a miserable vegan, because I just love cheese too much. I try to source it as ethically as I can, though, and only buy eggs from people I know.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Tell that to every vegan who uses agave syrup then since it contains more concentrated fructose than HFCS.

What does agave syrup have to do with killing animals?
  • _VoV
    Options

Thanks for asking that. I was thinking the same thing. What is your understanding of veganism, geekyjock76?
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    Nothing. Its just some of my vegan friends state they only wish to eat foods that naturally occur in nature yet they splurge on agave or other products that have concentrated fructose :smile: