LOVE BREAD, PASTA OR SWEETS? Hurting your fat loss

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    For giggles

Diaz EO et. al. Glycaemic index effects on fuel partitioning in humans. Obes Rev. (2006) 7:219-26.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2006.00225.x/full

Summary

The purpose of this review was to examine the role of glycaemic index in fuel partitioning and body composition with emphasis on fat oxidation/storage in humans. This relationship is based on the hypothesis postulating that a higher serum glucose and insulin response induced by high-glycaemic carbohydrates promotes lower fat oxidation and higher fat storage in comparison with low-glycaemic carbohydrates. Thus, high-glycaemic index meals could contribute to the maintenance of excess weight in obese individuals and/or predispose obesity-prone subjects to weight gain. Several studies comparing the effects of meals with contrasting glycaemic carbohydrates for hours, days or weeks have failed to demonstrate any differential effect on fuel partitioning when either substrate oxidation or body composition measurements were performed. Apparently, the glycaemic index-induced serum insulin differences are not sufficient in magnitude and/or duration to modify fuel oxidation

Not saying I agree or disagree with what anyone is saying...but don't post abstracts without reading the full article

Conclusions
    This review examined the effect of GI on fuel partitioning
    (Table 1). Short-, medium- and long-term studies failed to
    demonstrate that meals or diets of contrasting GI have
    significant effects on carbohydrate and fat oxidation and
    body composition. It is possible that no effects are observed
    because the GI-induced serum insulin differences are not
    sufficient in magnitude and/or duration to modify fuel
    oxidation.
    An exception was observed with isolated oral fructose
    vs. glucose, in which case a lower fat oxidation was
    observed with the former. These results are likely explained
    by the differential fructose hepatic oxidation rate.
    In conclusion, the hypothetical beneficial effects of low-
    GI diets on fuel partitioning need further support.

Its important to know why no significant findings were found.

Because not a big enough in serum insulin? Then look at low carb/keto diets vs a higher cho diet where protein and cals are held constant. Fat oxidation slightly increases on the low carb due to the higher fat intake but fat loss isn't significantly different between the two in the majority of studies.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just read this and I thought it might apply here:

Spotting an A-hole on the internet can be tougher than you think. Part of their talent can be making you feel like you’re the jerk for feeling the way you do. It’s a no brainer when the insults are direct and overt but that’s not always the case. Today I want to expose some of the more sneaky and subversive types of A-holism.

The following tutorial will help you see through their crap, because if they’re pointing a finger at you, they’re probably pointing 3 back at themselves. (Get it?)
    Knowing these signs will have you spotting web trolls and pompous editorials in no time. The only thing left for you to do will be to sit back and watch the author’s stupor at those who take offense. The very best examples of A-holetry will use most if not all of the techniques we’ll discuss here. Anything that only has 1 or 2, you’ll just have to make a gut call.
    Without further adieu, things to look for to spot an A-hole on the internet:

1. Bias. Typically you’ll see this right up front. The author will lead with a quick but subtle bias in their introduction. They’ll use somewhat vague adjectives with negative connotations right away, things like “frivolous”, “impractical” or “well-intentioned”. An even more subtle approach you could see to undermine credibility is the use of nouns like “fad” or “hobby”. They might even compare the subject to something they know is entirely opposite or unrelated and will be offensive to their target.
    Ex. Mainstream a-hole: The Paleo diet is the most popular whim since the Master Cleanse.

2. Passive-aggressiveness. A tell-tale sign would be to notice the author possibly being open minded to other opinions but quickly shutting that down with a backhand.
    Ex. Paleo a-hole: You don’t have to agree with us; if you want to let your oblivion kill you, then best of luck to you.

3. Mis-characterization. This can be done in two ways. First, you might get the idea that this person has very little knowledge of what they’re arguing against. This is also known as ignorance. Second, the mis-characterization may come in the form of using only the most extreme examples to illustrate points.
    Ex. Mainstream a-hole: On The Paleo diet, you can only eat animals that you have whacked over the head with a rock. Paleo dieters don’t even wear shoes!

4. Polarization. There will be no shades of gray, only black and white. Remember, they’re using extreme examples, so even though it’s not realistic at all to think that everything is so cut and dry you’ll notice that this will never be acknowledged.
    Ex. Mainstream & Paleo a-hole: If you eat a Paleo diet, you can never eat dairy again…NEVER, EVER…EVER.

5. Using rhetorical questions as main defense. Imagine a scene from Law and Order.
    Prosecution: “You wanted her dead didn’t you?…that’s why you left the toilet seat up knowing she would fall in.”
    Defendant: “No, I uh, I….”
    Defense: “Objection your honor, leading the witness!”
    Judge: “Sustained.”
    Are the points being made with an open ended cross-examination of the things being disputed? The key is to omit actual answers and substantiation.
    Ex. Mainstream a-hole: How can you trust someone who eats raw meat and doesn’t wear shoes? How could fat (bacon) possibly be good for you if most M.D.s don’t think it is?

6. Contradiction. No A-hole postulation can be complete without this. There are 2 types of contradictions you’ll see employed. For starters, you may find the author says one thing and then draws a completely opposite or mutually exclusive conclusion just a few words later. Alternately, they could use contradiction known commonly as “the pot calling the kettle black”. Fighting dogma WITH dogma. If you notice the same methods being used as what one claims to be against, BINGO, contradiction.
    Ex. Paleo a-hole: You should never eat “Paleo” food that replicates junk food, it won’t cure your psychological problems. By the way, here’s a recipe for Paleo Fried Chicken. (<– this really happens in Paleo blogland. A lot.)
    Mainstream & Paleo a-hole: It wouldn’t surprise me that you’d recommend a different nutrition plan to everyone if you make a living off of personal consultations. You should buy my plan instead; it’s a one-size-fits-all plan that will help you figure out what personal adjustments you should make.
    Paleo a-hole: I’m so tired of feeling like I should look a certain way based on societal pressure. Now let me tell all you “intellectually challenged” people how you should actually look if you want to be healthy.

7. Condescension. You will perceive this as being ”talked down” to. The writer will appear miffed that anyone would believe something different than they do. Patronizing commentary and sarcasm works for their purpose here as well. You will read things like “waste of time” or even simply quotes around a word to imply eye rolling.
    Ex. Paleo a-hole: Questioning what we’re telling you to eat makes you stupid, that’s probably why you can’t understand what we’re telling you. Mainstream a-hole: Including more meat is a great idea, if you love horrible ideas.

8. Assumptions and generalizations. You know the saying about assuming right? NO? It makes an *kitten* out of U and ME. Enough said. But I’ll say more anyway, this one really ties back into #3 (Mis-characterization.) and #4 (Polarization.) but it’s worth mentioning. The A-train has to keep running and it’s fueled by assumptions and generalizations. You will find continued instances that ignore the practical side of what’s being debated and drive home a few more unsubstantiated accusations.
    Ex. Mainstream a-hole: The Paleo diet is a low carb diet. The Paleo diet is impractical. The Paleo diet costs 10 zillion dollars a month.

9. Arrogance. Nothing crushes A-holyness faster than admitting you don’t know it all. That’s why this one is a little harder to detect since it’s more about what is NOT said. You may get a hint of this if you notice claims that are just as hard to prove as those denied…but…since the author knows only black and white (see #4) they will imply that their way is the ONLY way. With all due respect though, they probably are special snowflakes. (#1, #2, #6, #7, #8 all in one!)
    Ex. Mainstream & Paleo a-hole: How dare you quote a random study to support your argument! I have a random study right here that says the exact opposite, except this one is right.

10. Big words. The author will need to seem like they are very intelligent so you’ll think, “well, they did say ‘ad hominem’ so they must know what they’re talking about.”
    Bonus. Sketchy motivation. (This one is not required but it can really put the icing on the cake.) This can be as easy as selling a product that happens to be the opposite of what is being argued against or even needing attention. Other examples include denouncing things that threaten them or being the smartest, most interesting person on Earth and having a desire to make sure everyone knows it.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I just read this and I thought it might apply here:

Spotting an A-hole on the internet can be tougher than you think. Part of their talent can be making you feel like you’re the jerk for feeling the way you do. It’s a no brainer when the insults are direct and overt but that’s not always the case. Today I want to expose some of the more sneaky and subversive types of A-holism.

The following tutorial will help you see through their crap, because if they’re pointing a finger at you, they’re probably pointing 3 back at themselves. (Get it?)
    Knowing these signs will have you spotting web trolls and pompous editorials in no time. The only thing left for you to do will be to sit back and watch the author’s stupor at those who take offense. The very best examples of A-holetry will use most if not all of the techniques we’ll discuss here. Anything that only has 1 or 2, you’ll just have to make a gut call.
    Without further adieu, things to look for to spot an A-hole on the internet:

1. Bias. Typically you’ll see this right up front. The author will lead with a quick but subtle bias in their introduction. They’ll use somewhat vague adjectives with negative connotations right away, things like “frivolous”, “impractical” or “well-intentioned”. An even more subtle approach you could see to undermine credibility is the use of nouns like “fad” or “hobby”. They might even compare the subject to something they know is entirely opposite or unrelated and will be offensive to their target.
    Ex. Mainstream a-hole: The Paleo diet is the most popular whim since the Master Cleanse.

2. Passive-aggressiveness. A tell-tale sign would be to notice the author possibly being open minded to other opinions but quickly shutting that down with a backhand.
    Ex. Paleo a-hole: You don’t have to agree with us; if you want to let your oblivion kill you, then best of luck to you.

3. Mis-characterization. This can be done in two ways. First, you might get the idea that this person has very little knowledge of what they’re arguing against. This is also known as ignorance. Second, the mis-characterization may come in the form of using only the most extreme examples to illustrate points.
    Ex. Mainstream a-hole: On The Paleo diet, you can only eat animals that you have whacked over the head with a rock. Paleo dieters don’t even wear shoes!

4. Polarization. There will be no shades of gray, only black and white. Remember, they’re using extreme examples, so even though it’s not realistic at all to think that everything is so cut and dry you’ll notice that this will never be acknowledged.
    Ex. Mainstream & Paleo a-hole: If you eat a Paleo diet, you can never eat dairy again…NEVER, EVER…EVER.

5. Using rhetorical questions as main defense. Imagine a scene from Law and Order.
    Prosecution: “You wanted her dead didn’t you?…that’s why you left the toilet seat up knowing she would fall in.”
    Defendant: “No, I uh, I….”
    Defense: “Objection your honor, leading the witness!”
    Judge: “Sustained.”
    Are the points being made with an open ended cross-examination of the things being disputed? The key is to omit actual answers and substantiation.
    Ex. Mainstream a-hole: How can you trust someone who eats raw meat and doesn’t wear shoes? How could fat (bacon) possibly be good for you if most M.D.s don’t think it is?

6. Contradiction. No A-hole postulation can be complete without this. There are 2 types of contradictions you’ll see employed. For starters, you may find the author says one thing and then draws a completely opposite or mutually exclusive conclusion just a few words later. Alternately, they could use contradiction known commonly as “the pot calling the kettle black”. Fighting dogma WITH dogma. If you notice the same methods being used as what one claims to be against, BINGO, contradiction.
    Ex. Paleo a-hole: You should never eat “Paleo” food that replicates junk food, it won’t cure your psychological problems. By the way, here’s a recipe for Paleo Fried Chicken. (<– this really happens in Paleo blogland. A lot.)
    Mainstream & Paleo a-hole: It wouldn’t surprise me that you’d recommend a different nutrition plan to everyone if you make a living off of personal consultations. You should buy my plan instead; it’s a one-size-fits-all plan that will help you figure out what personal adjustments you should make.
    Paleo a-hole: I’m so tired of feeling like I should look a certain way based on societal pressure. Now let me tell all you “intellectually challenged” people how you should actually look if you want to be healthy.

7. Condescension. You will perceive this as being ”talked down” to. The writer will appear miffed that anyone would believe something different than they do. Patronizing commentary and sarcasm works for their purpose here as well. You will read things like “waste of time” or even simply quotes around a word to imply eye rolling.
    Ex. Paleo a-hole: Questioning what we’re telling you to eat makes you stupid, that’s probably why you can’t understand what we’re telling you. Mainstream a-hole: Including more meat is a great idea, if you love horrible ideas.

8. Assumptions and generalizations. You know the saying about assuming right? NO? It makes an *kitten* out of U and ME. Enough said. But I’ll say more anyway, this one really ties back into #3 (Mis-characterization.) and #4 (Polarization.) but it’s worth mentioning. The A-train has to keep running and it’s fueled by assumptions and generalizations. You will find continued instances that ignore the practical side of what’s being debated and drive home a few more unsubstantiated accusations.
    Ex. Mainstream a-hole: The Paleo diet is a low carb diet. The Paleo diet is impractical. The Paleo diet costs 10 zillion dollars a month.

9. Arrogance. Nothing crushes A-holyness faster than admitting you don’t know it all. That’s why this one is a little harder to detect since it’s more about what is NOT said. You may get a hint of this if you notice claims that are just as hard to prove as those denied…but…since the author knows only black and white (see #4) they will imply that their way is the ONLY way. With all due respect though, they probably are special snowflakes. (#1, #2, #6, #7, #8 all in one!)
    Ex. Mainstream & Paleo a-hole: How dare you quote a random study to support your argument! I have a random study right here that says the exact opposite, except this one is right.

10. Big words. The author will need to seem like they are very intelligent so you’ll think, “well, they did say ‘ad hominem’ so they must know what they’re talking about.”
    Bonus. Sketchy motivation. (This one is not required but it can really put the icing on the cake.) This can be as easy as selling a product that happens to be the opposite of what is being argued against or even needing attention. Other examples include denouncing things that threaten them or being the smartest, most interesting person on Earth and having a desire to make sure everyone knows it.

That is just absurd. To think that you could characterize random strangers based on a single written discourse is completely uncalled for.

You a-hole! :laugh:

(Yes, this was sarcastic. I didn't have time to try to include one of every item on the list.)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think cutting out bread, pasta, sugary stuff etc will certainly kick start weight loss but not because of any metabolic advantage or other such nonsense but simply because of the following:

1) it makes eating at a calorie deficit more achievable for many people because
    2) it helps with satiety as most people either replace them with items better for blunting hunger (good quality protein sources / fibrous veg etc) or end up eating less in general due to stable blood sugar levels (whilst I think GI and GL are over rated they are still a useful guideline for many people)

If you can stick to a sensible calorie deficit whilst eating bread, pasta and sweets and you like it then: do that
    If you can't and find replacing them with something else which keeps you in deficit: do that
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think cutting out bread, pasta, sugary stuff etc will certainly kick start weight loss but not because of any metabolic advantage or other such nonsense but simply because of the following:

2) it helps with satiety as most people either replace them with items better for blunting hunger (good quality protein sources / fibrous veg etc) or end up eating less in general due to stable blood sugar levels (whilst I think GI and GL are over rated they are still a useful guideline for many people)

If you can stick to a sensible calorie deficit whilst eating bread, pasta and sweets and you like it then: do that
    If you can't and find replacing them with something else which keeps you in deficit: do that

QFT. awesome post.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I read an article about a guy who ate nothing but Little Debbie snack cakes and fast food and still lost weight! Calorie is King, am I right?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Even if there was a well proven documented study that told me beyond doubt that cutting BREAD, PASTA OR SWEETS from my diet was gonna give me a body like Gisele Bundchen............still wouldn't do it! I love them too much and life is too short. I have learned to eat these things in limited portions. They are now more of a treat rather than a staple in my diet. I could give a flying *kitten* about the science pro's or con's. I like it, I eat it.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Round of applause for you, sir!

OP- I've got much more than 50lbs to lose; 100lbs or more. And I ain't gonna cut out my fruit, no way in HELL. With my problems, if I choose to munch on a red delicious rather than a packet of cookies, I'm gonna give myself a slap on the back and not worry myself over the amount of sugars and carbs in that piece o' fruit.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I can't even concentrate on what this thread is about! Too many bare male torsos!
  • jenncaroon
    Options
    Oh! That's why my very knowledgeable boot camp instructor strongly recommends a glass of chocolate milk right after class- the combination of sugar and protein! Interesting. Thanks for the very informative post. Have a great day!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    JUMP START Your Body Fat Loss...you gotta remove these...and here is why:

[ ...]

PS. I encourage lifting weights or some sort of strength training too. Having more muscle will help your body burn calories even when you aren’t working out!

My 2 cents.....................

Seriously ?
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    NO!!! I love my pasta and bread, I really do! But I know you're right damnit.:sad:
  • lennyhadley
    Options
    This is a terrible post...honestly, no one thats new should listen to this at all. It'll take you down a path you don't need to go to lose weight.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I have lost 60+ pounds, most of that fat, while eating bread, pasta, and sweets on a regular basis, sometimes all of them in one day. I just eat a lot less of them than I used to. Along with everything else.

On the other hand, I eat *more* fruit than I did when I was el chunko.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    NO!!! I love my pasta and bread, I really do! But I know you're right damnit.:sad:

No he isn't.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    It really annoys me when anybody says not to eat fruit. Fruit will not make anyone fat! I can guarantee nobody is on here because they ate too many grapes, bananas, melon, etc. Years ago I went through a program at a hospital and was told this by a nutritionist!! They are natural sugars.

This is what I always think too! I'm definitely not here because I got fat off of fruit, or even bread and pasta for that matter. I got fat from eating too many calories and sitting on my *kitten* all day.
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    I can't even concentrate on what this thread is about! Too many bare male torsos!

LOL
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I love bread, pastas, and sweets! We do need carbs, but we can get them from other sources (fruits, veggies, legumes). He's not saying to cut out a complete component, he's only saying that you will lose fat faster if you make choices other than grains and sweets. Simple, and true.:wink:
  • mauibound2
    mauibound2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Caffeine_Addict
    Caffeine_Addict Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    OoOo a lot of abs in this thread. :bigsmile: