Did You See This Diet? Any Thoughts?

Options
Can You Lose Weight With This Hot Diet Trend?
By Kimberly Papa Wolfson

Eating cookies all day and losing weight might sound too good to be true, but Josie Raper, who recently shared her story on Good Morning America, went from a size 24 to a six doing just that. At 28 years old and 240 pounds, Raper had tried dozens of diets before finding Dr. Siegel’s Cookie Diet. In just six months, she lost 18 dress sizes.

Here’s how the diet works: Instead of having breakfast and lunch, dieters eat six protein-packed cookies, then eat a 500-calorie dinner consisting of lean protein and veggies.

The diet averages just 1,000 calories a day, which is far fewer than what most nutrition experts consider healthy for long-term weight loss. So while you could lose weight on the low-cal plan, you’d be less likely to keep it off in the long haul.

The promise of being able to indulge while losing weight quickly has even lured quite a few celebrities, including Denise Richards, to give the Cookie Diet a try.

Click on the gallery below to learn more about the Cookie Diet and other hot new diets that could help you lose weight. Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker.

New Ways to Lose WeightGetty Images10 photos By Myatt Murphy

Cookie Diet

What it is: Instead of having a nutritious breakfast and lunch, dieters nibble on six vitamin-enriched, 150-calorie cookies, then eat a sensible, low-calorie dinner. The cookies themselves contain a vitamin and amino-acid mixture that blends various protein substances to control hunger, according to the diet's creator.

Does it work? Probably, but there's an obvious reason celebrities using the program may lose weight -- they're eating far less calories per day (picture only 600 calories by the time you sit down for dinner) than nutritionists recommend to lose weight safely and effectively.

The stars who swear by it: Singing its praises are the slim sirens Mandy Moore and Kelly Clarkson. The Cookie Diet was featured on Good Morning America recently, where real-woman Josie Raper showed off a slimmer figure thanks to the Cookie Diet. (Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)
http://xml.channel.aol.com/xmlpublisher/fetch.v2.xml?option=expand_relative_urls&dataUrlNodes=uiConfig,feedConfig,localizationConfig,entry&id=751598&pid=751597&uts=1256062169
http://www.aolcdn.com/ke/media_gallery/v1/ke_media_gallery_wrapper.swf
New Ways to Lose Weight
By Myatt Murphy

Replies

• Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Sorry, this post was meant for "General Diet and Weight Loss." Perhaps a mod can move it to the appropriate category? Thanks.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

Yeah, it's krap.

Does it work. SURE!

Is it healthy? Do I really need to answer that?
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I don't think any 'diet' will work. Sure you might lose weight, is it healthy? No. Unless you plan on eating that way everyday forever you will gain weight back. You need a lifestyle change, a healthy one! :flowerforyou:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don't think any 'diet' will work. Sure you might lose weight, is it healthy? No. unless you plan on eating that way everyday forever you will gain weight back. You need a lifestyle change, a healthy one! :flowerforyou:

Amen!!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Bet those cookies taste like crap....I'd rather eat real food!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    :noway:

I actually thought it was some kind of joke chain e-mail type article.:laugh: I was waiting for the punchline. I guess the punchline is that there is actually a cookie diet. :huh:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    This might be a good time to post what I heard this past weekend.
    Some guy a friend of mine knows (my friend says he wouldn't lie about this)

He lost a bunch of weight, and this is what he had every day.

4 eggs and 7 beers.
    Protein, fat, carbs.

Healthy? of course not. Lost weight, yep
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

I actually thought it was some kind of joke chain e-mail type article.:laugh: I was waiting for the punchline. I guess the punchline is that there is actually a cookie diet. :huh:

I just found out www.cookiediet.com

Interview with Dr Siegal with ABC News.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9fuI9yzx4o

His comment.. You will lose weight with this 1,000 calorie diet. He finds that people don't lose weight quit the diet quickly.

Interesting read. This is how the Yo-Yo works. I'll just copy from his words.
    Dr. Siegal: I didn’t overcome it because there’s nothing to overcome – the obstacle doesn’t exist. Whoever said that a diet that’s highly effective for quick weight loss is one that should be followed “in the long run?” You didn't hear it from me! Dr. Siegal’s Cookie Diet, on which most people consume about 1,000 calories a day, is not a diet that people follow indefinitely. They follow it until they reach their goal weight. If they stayed on it forever, losing about 10 pounds a month, they’d waste away to nothing. Dr. Siegal’s Cookie Diet, like any diet that creates a caloric deficit, is for losing weight. For maintaining weight, I emphasize a permanent lifestyle change.

Then in another quote
    As for patients who failed even though “all the recommendations/instructions were followed to the letter,” there aren’t any. Not a single one in the 34 years since I created Dr. Siegal’s Cookie Diet. It would mean that someone maintained her weight on a diet of 1,000 calories or less and that’s biologically impossible. I’ve had failures, of course, but they were the folks who did not follow my instructions.

Does that mean they didn't follow the instructions of eating cookie? or exercising? :laugh:
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I wanted other opinions. I personally would not want to try this or similarly restrictive diets. I don't think they're particularly balanced or healthy and I think it's for people who like the immediate gratification of losing substantial amounts of weight. I think these dieters are also candidates for gaining their weight back quickly.
  • oonafey
    oonafey Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I should try the beer and egg diet. Yum!

I think (maybe) if you do something like this and you really do lose all the weight, then it is easier to maintain than weight. I totally agree that "diets" are generally difficult to stick with in the long run and you need a lifestyle change. But maybe the rapid weight loss boosts these peoples morale and then makes then more likely to try harder to keep it off. Probably not, considering they need this ridiculous diet to begin with, but it's just a thought.
  • oonafey
    oonafey Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ha! I just saw the link for this diet on the AOL homepage. How funny! I guess that's why you brought up, right?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I just found out www.cookiediet.com

Interview with Dr Siegal with ABC News.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9fuI9yzx4o

His comment.. You will lose weight with this 1,000 calorie diet. He finds that people don't lose weight quit the diet quickly.

Interesting read. This is how the Yo-Yo works. I'll just copy from his words.
    Dr. Siegal: I didn’t overcome it because there’s nothing to overcome – the obstacle doesn’t exist. Whoever said that a diet that’s highly effective for quick weight loss is one that should be followed “in the long run?” You didn't hear it from me! Dr. Siegal’s Cookie Diet, on which most people consume about 1,000 calories a day, is not a diet that people follow indefinitely. They follow it until they reach their goal weight. If they stayed on it forever, losing about 10 pounds a month, they’d waste away to nothing. Dr. Siegal’s Cookie Diet, like any diet that creates a caloric deficit, is for losing weight. For maintaining weight, I emphasize a permanent lifestyle change.

Then in another quote
    As for patients who failed even though “all the recommendations/instructions were followed to the letter,” there aren’t any. Not a single one in the 34 years since I created Dr. Siegal’s Cookie Diet. It would mean that someone maintained her weight on a diet of 1,000 calories or less and that’s biologically impossible. I’ve had failures, of course, but they were the folks who did not follow my instructions.

Does that mean they didn't follow the instructions of eating cookie? or exercising? :laugh:

Shorter version of Dr Siegal: "In my own words, I'm a dumbass--have a cookie."

What--no lemonade cleanse to wash it down?

What a Total *%#$* Moron.

That quote pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with the health and fitness industry and with the media coverage of these issues.

A "diet" plan such as this has a virtually 100% failure rate when you look at what happens to the people over 2 or 3 years.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Ok are you serious. This diet sounds like a joke. Does anyone know what is in the cookies?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Just because they're called cookies, doesn't mean they actually are- they're basically meal replacement bars in the shape of a cookie. A gimmick to get us cookie loving "fatties" to give them some of our hard earned $$$.