Becareful with microwave popcorn

Options
My husbands cousin who is 24 went in for a TB test 2 months ago and the results came back strange. The doctor did some blood work and x rays. The x rays showed these stange white shadows in her lungs. They did many more test and not finding an answer, they ended up taking her in and they took a piece from each of her lungs. They finally found out yesterday that she has that lung problem caused by microwave popcorn. We are waiting to hear if this will be lifethreating.
We are sending my husband and daughter in to be tested. They used to eat alot of microwave popcorn.

PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU EAT IT.

Five years ago the New England Journal of Medicine published a study linking a popcorn chemical (diacetyl) to a serious lung condition in 8 popcorn factory workers. The lung condition, also known as bronchiolitis obliterans, is an inflammatory reaction to diacetyl that can reduce lung capacity by as much as 80%. Certain people who inhale too much of the chemical form scar tissue as a reaction, making the lungs stiff and causing cough and shortness of breath.

In this week's case, the astute pulmonologist examining the popcorn addict remembered the 2002 NEJM article, and thought to ask him about popcorn exposure as part of her work up for his breathing complaints. As it turns out, his exposure to popcorn chemicals is the likely cause of his lung damage. Sadly, though, once the scarring occurs there is no way to return the lungs to their original state of heath. The only known treatment for popcorn lung is a lung transplant.

There has been incredible interest in this story because microwave popcorn is a part of most of our lives. The United States is the single largest consumer of popcorn worldwide, and we purchase over 1 billion pounds of unpopped corn per year. We naturally wonder: could this happen to me? Am I (or my kids) at risk?

First of all, I think that diacetyl should be avoided by all consumers of popcorn. ConAgra, the parent company for Orville Redenbacher and Act II, has agreed to immediately remove this chemical from its artificial butter flavored popcorn. Nonetheless, we should scrutinize the labels of any popcorn that we intend to purchase to make sure that it doesn't contain diacetyl.

Second, the good news is that not everyone's body forms scar tissue in reaction to this chemical. In the same way that we're not all allergic to the same environmental agents, our bodies are not all going to respond to diacetyl by developing lung scarring. That said, why tempt fate by inhaling fumes that have harmed a small number of people?

Third, it does seem that it requires prolonged and high exposure to diacetyl to be at risk for popcorn lung. So if you're not a buttered popcorn maniac (consuming several bags per day for years on end) your risk is extremely small, even if in the past you've eaten the occasional microwave popcorn containing the chemical.

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    My husbands cousin who is 24 went in for a TB test 2 months ago and the results came back strange. The doctor did some blood work and x rays. The x rays showed these stange white shadows in her lungs. They did many more test and not finding an answer, they ended up taking her in and they took a piece from each of her lungs. They finally found out yesterday that she has that lung problem caused by microwave popcorn. We are waiting to hear if this will be lifethreating.
    We are sending my husband and daughter in to be tested. They used to eat alot of microwave popcorn.

PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU EAT IT.

Five years ago the New England Journal of Medicine published a study linking a popcorn chemical (diacetyl) to a serious lung condition in 8 popcorn factory workers. The lung condition, also known as bronchiolitis obliterans, is an inflammatory reaction to diacetyl that can reduce lung capacity by as much as 80%. Certain people who inhale too much of the chemical form scar tissue as a reaction, making the lungs stiff and causing cough and shortness of breath.

In this week's case, the astute pulmonologist examining the popcorn addict remembered the 2002 NEJM article, and thought to ask him about popcorn exposure as part of her work up for his breathing complaints. As it turns out, his exposure to popcorn chemicals is the likely cause of his lung damage. Sadly, though, once the scarring occurs there is no way to return the lungs to their original state of heath. The only known treatment for popcorn lung is a lung transplant.

There has been incredible interest in this story because microwave popcorn is a part of most of our lives. The United States is the single largest consumer of popcorn worldwide, and we purchase over 1 billion pounds of unpopped corn per year. We naturally wonder: could this happen to me? Am I (or my kids) at risk?

First of all, I think that diacetyl should be avoided by all consumers of popcorn. ConAgra, the parent company for Orville Redenbacher and Act II, has agreed to immediately remove this chemical from its artificial butter flavored popcorn. Nonetheless, we should scrutinize the labels of any popcorn that we intend to purchase to make sure that it doesn't contain diacetyl.

Second, the good news is that not everyone's body forms scar tissue in reaction to this chemical. In the same way that we're not all allergic to the same environmental agents, our bodies are not all going to respond to diacetyl by developing lung scarring. That said, why tempt fate by inhaling fumes that have harmed a small number of people?

Third, it does seem that it requires prolonged and high exposure to diacetyl to be at risk for popcorn lung. So if you're not a buttered popcorn maniac (consuming several bags per day for years on end) your risk is extremely small, even if in the past you've eaten the occasional microwave popcorn containing the chemical.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    HOLY COW!!!!!!! Never in a million years would I have thought... Thanks for sharing.

*Kistinbee*
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Holy S***! Seriously? Cmon... there's not going to be anything left that I like. :sad:

Oh, well, I have moved on to Air poped anyway, it's not as yummy, but much better for you, I just spray a little ICANTBELIEVEITSNOTBUTTER on it and a little salt. lots of Fiber in popcorn, some carbs too, but not a ton in the air poped.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    This was a big news story in the US a few months back, there was a man that loved inhaling the first puff of hot air from his microwave popcorn and he ended up with the same thing. Apparently if the microwave popcorn is taken out of the equation the "popcorn" lung goes away. This man has completely recovered.

It was discovered that people who work in the factories that make the popcorn also have had the same condition appear and once they started wearing masks their lungs cleared up too. From everything that I have heard on the news the condition is a problem if they continue to inhale the chemical used to create the "butter" flavoring but if they stop inhaling it seems to go away with no additional side effects.

Just another reason to eat fresh and not pre packaged foods, you never know what's lying in wait inside processed preserved food.
  • Soniabruja
    Options
    I'm not surprise at all.....
    One of these days, We'll open a bag or a can of food,
    and provably is going to talk to us.....
    GO ORGANIC as much as you can...For us, our health and environment.:flowerforyou:
  • Twinmom413
    Twinmom413 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for sharing. I had heard about this before, but didn't really look into it. What you posted was very informative, and I'm taking the popcorn out of the cabinet! My daughter LOVES microwave popcorn...she'll be devastated.
  • Erica92627
    Options
    I have heard of this before, but also hear that if you do not inhale you will be fine. Therefore I don't inhale so I should be okay? Hey didn't Clinton say the same thing "I did not inhale" lol
    Go Mr. president. lol

I'll be looking for my bag of talking popcorn. :laugh:
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for sharing. I had heard about this before, but didn't really look into it. What you posted was very informative, and I'm taking the popcorn out of the cabinet! My daughter LOVES microwave popcorn...she'll be devastated.

Don't ruin your daughters love for microwave popcorn.

The nation's 4 largest makers of microwave popcorn have all decided to remove diacetyl, the flavoring ingredient that causes "popcorn lung" in workers, from the vast majority of their products, says the AP.

ConAgra Foods of Omaha, Neb.; General Mills of Golden Valley, Minn.; and American Pop Corn Co., of Sioux City, Iowa, all promised in September to change their recipes. They sell Orville Redenbacher, Act II, Pop Secret and Jolly Time brands.
    "We want to assure our consumers they can continue to enjoy their favorite popcorn with complete confidence," said Stan Jacot, who oversees popcorn marketing for ConAgra.
    Although there has been one consumer case of "popcorn lung," there's no real danger to consumers who don't eat microwave popcorn several times a day. The real concern is for those people who work in popcorn plants. Soon, however, you'll be able to eat your popcorn totally guilt-free. We'd hate to see that nifty "popcorn" button go unused on your microwave.

This article was in The Consumerist in February of 2007.
  • Soniabruja
    Options
    Why just don't buy the loose corn and do it your self in the pan? It's very easy!!!
    AND HEALTHY!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yes, I remember that story in the news. Scary!! I love to buy the kernels and make them in the pan or a pot. You can add a healthier oil and as much as you want. Also you can control the amount of salt you put on it. Let alone the butter if you choose to add it...preservatives are scary, you never know what is in those products and how it can affect your health.