need sick day recipes

Options
kryssy77
kryssy77 Posts: 219
I have had pnuemonia for 5 days and still not better i am hardly getting 600 cals a day. I feel like my head is going to pop and my congestion is horrible. I need easy to make easy to eat ideas for sick days

Replies

• swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I put a ton of hot sauce in soup when I'm congested... I generally loosens it up and makes my nose start running! And tea with lemon and honey all day and all night!
  • Makai
    Makai Posts: 43
    Options
    Chicken broth and miso soup are really comforting for sick days.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Kryssy, I'm am there with you!
    According to the doc mine is only "a really horrible cold.":grumble: So nothing to be done except treat the symptoms. I'm been eating mostly chicken noodle soup and orange juice. It was suggested by a friend at work that I dice some carrots and other veggies and add those to the soup (since I only have canned soup in the house and not wanting to go to the store 30 min away). Doesn't add many calories, but should add vitamins. I think I'm going to try steaming some carrots and adding those. See how that sits. My wonderful husband even went and bought ice cream for me because I thought I might be able to stomach that.:happy: Unfortunately, it only upset my stomach.:sad: But right about now anything that adds vitamins and calories should help.

If I hear of anything else useful, I'll pass it on!
  • kryssy77
    Options
    thanks i absolutely feel horrible...my doc said no dairy because of the congestion. So my calorie intake has been only 300-500 cals a day and all bread tea and chicken broth i cant even hold the noodles down
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    How about some oatmeal? When I don't feel well it is one of my standards. It is easy to fix and it usually (at least for me) is easy on the stomach.
  • kryssy77
    Options
    bump
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    Crock Pot Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup

2-3 carrots chopped into bite size chunks (I leave mind kind of big)
    2-3 stalks of celery chopped
    1/2 onion diced
    2 chicken breasts (mine were frozen)
    6 cups chicken stock (go for low sodium or no salt)
    2 bay leaves
    dash of red pepper flakes
    Salt and Pepper (omit salt if you use regular stock)
    Homestyle Noodles to add later (I always go for the Amish kind at my local grocery store... they are the best!)

Layer carrots, celery and onion in crock place chicken on top, season with s&p and red pepper flakes. Add bay leaves and top with stock. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
    1/2 hour before serving, shred chicken and add noodles. Cook on high for a 1/2 hour or until the noodles are done.

This is so good and it's really easy to throw together. I really think using stock instead of broth and the noodles are what make this dish!
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    I forgot to add remove the bay leaves when you add the noodles.