Calories left at the end of the day?

Options
Last Night I was left with over 1000 calories left at bed time so I ate a couple PB&Js even though I was not hungry. What is right thing to do in this situation? Eat when I'm not hungry or Go to bed with 1000+ calorie deficit?

Replies

• rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    If you're not hungry why force yourself to eat?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    You could set the diary the day before leaving 1 meal completely open to chance.

Thats what I do.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    well, no. i don't think you should eat if you aren't hungry.

however, the next day, you might be really really hungry! so it's okay to go over your calories that day, because you under ate the day before.

your body works more on a week-to-week way rather then day to day.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    why did you have so many left over? I am guessing they were excersise cals because thats like...ALOT.... to just have left over. I would say you dont have to eat them if you are not hungry. thats just logical.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I never eat unless I'm hungry......
  • kpwatson
    kpwatson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    IDK. i struggle with this too. I have never had a deficit of more than 400. I will usually eat a small snack and not worry about a couple of hundred. As long as I eat between 1200 and 1500 total, I do not worry about the deficit from exercise at the end of the day so much. I know there will be that inevitable family event or date night that i overdo it or can't exercise that will even it out. When my weight loss goes on hold i will increase my calories for a few days and then return to my schedule.
  • Gettingskinny12
    Options
    Why not eat a piece of cheese so you do not wake up starving.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'll usually do a protein shake to use up some of the extras.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster that you don't have to eat all the calories in one day. I have found that on a hard workout at the end of the day it's hard to eat all those calories back that evening. The next day I am ravenous, like my stomach is a bottomless pit. I have to watch going over the next day but I will try to eat more if I can stand it.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    well, no. i don't think you should eat if you aren't hungry.

however, the next day, you might be really really hungry! so it's okay to go over your calories that day, because you under ate the day before.

your body works more on a week-to-week way rather then day to day.

Source? I always heard the body works on a 24-hour clock.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I never eat unless I'm hungry......

Me too.

If I have that many left over I just go to bed. I usually DON'T, but if I did, I wouldn't force myself to eat.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If this is only an occasional deficit, then it's not a problem. If you're under by that much on a regular basis, you may want to reevaluate what you eat during the day to pump up your caloric intake.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My secret is to pre-log my workouts and spread the 'extra' calories around during the day. I also eat every 2-3 hours and eat as clean as possible. With 1,000 left over (after logging every bite and every workout) you are not fueling your body with what it needs. Fuel that engine! With great planning you should not get to the end of the day with 1,000 left.
  • FriendsR4EverTreasures
    Options
    don't eat if you are not hungry! Balance out your "check book", when I have crazy days like that I look at my weekly goal and then balance it that way. For example, last week was a huge calorie burn week for me, I had 4900+ calories on Saturday and still had 2 more workouts to clock, so I divided the 4900 by 2 and then used that as my daily calorie goal to finish the week. Don't get so caught up in your daily, it's the weekly deficit that ultimately determines your weightloss. BTW, I met my goal and have been doing this for over a year. There is no one size fits all, do what works for you :)
  • Lainerbee
    Options
    Im having the same issue. I like the idea of doing a protine shake or power greens....Im going to try that so that Im not so hungry the next day over do it. I over did it yesterday :( now I have to get back on track smh
  • After dinner I usually try not to eat unless I do become hungry. If I'm craving dessert and the craving won't go away I eat grapes, strawberries or any fruit to calm myself.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'll leave 100 or 200 exercise calories left uneaten (Im set to lose 1/2 pound per week) But I don't like to leave a whole ton uneaten. Fortunately I love to eat peanut butter right out of the jar :-)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Eating while I'm not hungry is one of the reasons I'm overweight.
  • Candy_monster
    Options
    I'd eat them all, just for the sheer fun of it :D

I mean why not? unless you're wanting to lose weight at a faster rate than predicted by your current MFP settings, you've got nothing to lose (or gain..lol) :happy:
    Oh unless you're eating back exercise calories, I dont believe in those :wink:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    For me, it would depend on how much I had already eaten. If the calorie surplus is from exercise, I don't worry as much about consuming all of them. But if I had just not eaten a lot that day, I think it is a bit more important to get a minimum amount in.