New to running

Options
Hi All!
I've been thinking since I joined MFP that I wanted to pick up running. I have many dreams per month in which I'm running any and every where and I feel so light and mobile. I think it's time to take that dream to the streets.
What recommendations do any of you professional runners have for us newbies?
Shoes? Stretches? Clothing? Warm Up/Cool Downs? Etc...

Replies

• kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Definitely C25K....go slow....there's no need to go out and run 5 miles at once. Definitely get good shoes!
  • slippymcgee
    Options
    I have those dreams too! :) C25k is great. You can get apps for it, too. Good luck!
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Find a legit New Balance or any running shoe store. Have them check out your foot arch and everything. Don't skimp on shoes, they'll make all the difference in the world.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I would go to a shoe specialty store such as Up-and-Running or any such like it that can see how you run and fit you for a shoe that will be comfortable to run in. also always do a cool down after you run whether it is a light jog or walk, never just stop completely after running. always stretch out your legs (duh) before running not stretching will injure you before you can even get serious
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    As far as shoes go, go to a running store and work with an associate to find the pair that's right for you. That will save you so much time and heartache (read not running d/t pain) in the long run.

For warm up you can incorporate walking into your routine or do some jumping jacks... I generally just walk a 1/2 mile or so to warm up

find a race and sign up for it. Even if you walk 9/10ths of it, you'll get the adrenaline rush of going and you'll want to do more! Then you have something to build on and something to look forward to!
  • live2runnj
    live2runnj Posts: 157
    Options
    One mile at a time. Set goals for yourself each and every day. Once you conquer one mile, move on to the next.

Also, understand that you are going to have good run days and bad run days. Do not get discouraged. Stay strong and focused on your goals and keep plugging along. You will be amazed at how your body will respond and how much progress you will make if you stay on track! Get out there and get to work!!!!
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Shoes are extremely important. Get professionally fitted. Fleet feet (if you have one of those around you) or any specialty running store like that usually will do it.

And don't go crazy right away. Ease into it. I started out runing and walking before i graduated to running. I have been running for almost 4 years now and have done many races. You will get there if you really want to do it. It's a great stress reliever as well as fat burner. For me, it's my go to now instead of sitting down and eating when I'm stressed.
  • Maria_T007
    Maria_T007 Posts: 107
    Options
    Definitely C25K!! i am on week 3 of the program now, its been great! :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the good shoes! Totally worth the investment!

There's some conflicting info on stretching before exercise. Some say to do it, some say not and both say it's to avoid injury... Here's an article about it from Runner's World with ideas for dynamic stretches:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html

But definitely stretch well all over after your run.

I never did C25K but sort of did my own version of it where I'd walk and then run as far as I could and kept that up until I managed to do a ful 5k run. One common newbie runner mistake is to try running your heart out when you start running. Take it slow, pace your breathing with your stride (I do breathe in for two footfalls, breath out for two footfalls - some do 3) so you don't run out of air too quickly. It's not always easy, but trust me, once you get it down, you'll be able to go farther.

Oh and keep your upper body loose. It's also common to tense up when you're trying hard and that will zap you of energy really quickly. Keep your abs in and back straight but keep your arms and shoulders loose.
  • laurahrmn
    laurahrmn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Running intervals may work best for you. I.e. Walk for 5 minutes, run for 3 minutes, walk for 5 minutes, run for 3 minutes, etc. Do this 3 or 4 days before you change it. Then run 4 minutes, walk 4 minutes, etc. Increase the running time, and decrease the walking time, working to close the gap. This has worked well for me, and some others that I have talked with. Good luck!
  • Letters24You
    Letters24You Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What is C25K? Also, I have no fancy phone lol so I won't be able to track it that way
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Its an app for your phone. It helps new runners get in shape to run 3.2 miles. Do you have a watch with a timer? If so go here and you can get the basic idea and plan your own runs.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Also while everyone will tell you to go buy 120 shoes when you start to run. LOL I still run in Addidas that I get from Academy Sports and have yet to break the 100$ mark. Shoes do have a milage limit, about 200 miles or so.

Clothes are a preference, cotton will cause some to chaff when they get sweaty and run a long way, I typically run in running shirts I have gotten from races. You can get under armor style shirts or run in tank tops until you figure out what is best for you.

Stretches, again a personal preference. I do knee and hamstring stretches and walk about 5 minutes to warm up and to cool off.
  • mjacobs421
    mjacobs421 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently started running (slow and steady). I purchased a great new pair of shoes that are helping my foot pain (plantar fascaiitis) which is great!

However I think I'm overstriking when I run and causing serious shin splints. Any suggestions on how to fix your form?

I'm running a 5K mud run the end of September and would prefer to get his fixed sooner vs. later!

I appreciate any suggestions!
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I recently started running (slow and steady). I purchased a great new pair of shoes that are helping my foot pain (plantar fascaiitis) which is great!

However I think I'm overstriking when I run and causing serious shin splints. Any suggestions on how to fix your form?

I'm running a 5K mud run the end of September and would prefer to get his fixed sooner vs. later!

I appreciate any suggestions!

Do you mean over striding? Focus on landing mid-sole, with your foot directly underneath your body, try to keep your steps light and quick, as if you're stepping on hot coals.
  • kc4173
    kc4173 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Zensa comp[ression sleeves did the trick for my shin splints. Amazon.com
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    2 things...

1. Get a great pair of running shoes from an actual running store where they can fit you and get you the right shoe. This makes all the difference!
    2. Check out c25k
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    What is C25K? Also, I have no fancy phone lol so I won't be able to track it that way

Couch 2 5K. It's a 9 week running program that introduces you slowly. I don't have a smart phone either, but you can get the program at www.coolrunning.com and go. I just use a watch with stop watch abilities (which I got for $15 at Target).
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    C25= couch to 5K... it's a great program for new runners to work up to running a 5K (3.1miles). I agree with most of these people here that GOOD shoes are a must! This is where running can be expensive. Go to a RUNNING store (not ****'s, or Nike) and get professionally fitted. They will see if you have a low/high arch, overpronation, etc. and they will recommend a good shoe. You always go up AT LEAST HALF size in running shoes so your toes don't bang against the front... so don't be shocked if the shoe person grabs a shoe too big.
    When it comes to running clothes... wear what's comfortable to you. To ease chaffing spandex is great. You don't have to spend a lot of money here. I get great running/workout clothes from Target and Old Navy all the time and love it!
    Because I know exactly what shoes I love/need I buy them on Amazon.com for a lot less... but wait until you find your perfect shoe.

I know this is a lot of info but feel free to add me if you want/need encouragement and advice :) Happy trails!!!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hi All!
    I've been thinking since I joined MFP that I wanted to pick up running. I have many dreams per month in which I'm running any and every where and I feel so light and mobile. I think it's time to take that dream to the streets.
    What recommendations do any of you professional runners have for us newbies?
    Shoes? Stretches? Clothing? Warm Up/Cool Downs? Etc...

Shoes: I recommend going to a reputable running shoe store and getting a gait analysis.
    Stretches: Hurdler's stretch, toe touches, crossovers, Google running stretches and you will get plenty!
    Clothing: I recommend Dri-fit material, get runner specific socks, I like Starter brand.
    Download a good beginner program, such as Couch to 5K. I used the Hal Higdon half marathon program for my last two races and loved it!
    Don't increase your mileage any more than 10% per week.
    #1 Rule of Running: Just have fun!
    Good luck! See you on the road!
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Bump