HOw often do you weigh?

Options
2»

Replies

• whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The fact that your weight can fluctuate daily is exactly why (I believe) you should weigh yourself everyday. You are looking for a weekly average. What if the one day you choose for your weekly weigh-in is that day you are 1-2 lbs high or low. You may make changes to your targets for no reason - or be ecstatic/depressed based on an abnormal reading. In other words, weighing once a week does not give you a weekly average - it gives you one data point and your only hope of seeing any average is now at the monthly point. More data is good (when averaged and compared correctly).

The key is not to obsess over that daily weighing. Just take the data and log it. Average your weekly weight and compare it to the week prior to determine progress. Disclaimer: not a nutritionist - just a guy with an engineering degree and lots of practical experience in data/trend analysis and modeling (data not fashion).

I should also mention that weight is just one bit of data that you should be using to assess your overall fitness progress. I recommend getting taped to track progress there. If you are incorporating weight training (recommended) into your fitness routine then you may experience a period with little weight loss, but with inches dropping off. That is a great marker of success. Also, are you getting stronger, able to do a cardio routine longer, clothes fit better, have more energy? The scale is just one way to track toward your goal. Best of luck!
  • genas1975
    genas1975 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. It does seem to fluctuate day to day, but they do say if you weigh yourself daily you tend to lose. For me if it has gone up one day, it makes me watch my meals and workouts more so that day. It's a bit of motivation for me.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Two days a week - on my days off. I do the same system every time. I make and drink a smoothie as soon as I get out of bed, poop (I know I know TMI), then weigh myself.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Every other Saturday, and I don't weigh during my TOM.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    never used to but when my weight loss slowed down I started weighing myself daily, but only "check in" once a week.
  • geco1983
    geco1983 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I jump on and off the scale quite often, just to persuade this damn thing to show lower numbers - altough this doesn't help ;o)
    But I don't take this seriously!

For MFP I just weight myself once a week on Thursday morning - and update my weight, even if I don't like the numbers the scale shows off.
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I started weighing daily and logging every day or two. I have such huge fluctuations in my weight, so I'm trying to figure out if what I'm eating is bloating me up. I don't feel like it's obsessive, if I started to then I'd stop myself. Now I check in regardless of if I'm up or down, a friend on here suggested doing it because I may be able to see a pattern. I've had issues in the past where that stupid number would dictate my mood for the rest of the day but I think I've gotten past that (of course i was down this morning so that may be why I'm so optimistic!)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I weigh every other week. I don't have a scale. I weigh in my nutritionist's office. I usually show a loss this way. I don't like to see the scale go up and down.
  • PatMarkham
    Options
    Okay, I was weighing every day. But I am not losing weight and I see by the responses you have that those who weigh less often seem to be losing more. Think it is time for a change to once a week!
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    hi sometimes daily then somtimes every couple days,it just depends.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    1-2 times a week. For me, more=crazy, less=lazy

Well said! I'm the exact same.
  • Amyaustin90
    Amyaustin90 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    every morning when i get up, which is around 7 am to 9 am

its been consistently going down since i started eating 1200 cals a day...12 pounds down from july 1 to august 1
  • Amyaustin90
    Amyaustin90 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    weighing in more or less isnt going to change your results, your food and activity will.

i just get a confidence boost every morning when its less than the day before, and if it goes up i know i need to have a very nutritious day.

i think if i weighed less often i would lose sight of my goals
  • secretblove
    Options
    Whatever works for you! I don't like weighing everyday, I obsess over the ups & downs. I've just started so right now I've only weight once!:smile:
  • NeatMan
    NeatMan Posts: 62
    Options
    Every day, i gotta see the progress ! :laugh: