Always over on my protein is this a bad thing ???

Options
So im on 1200 calorie and eating back some of my exercise calories...but always seem to be over on protein is this a bad thing ??

Replies

• raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    So im on 1200 calorie and eating back some of my exercise calories...but always seem to be over on protein is this a bad thing ??

Nope. Protein is your friend.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Nah I think the protein levels are usually defaulted quite low actually, especially if you're trying to gain muscle you should aim for .75-1g per pound of body weight.

So I aim for at least 100 g a day if I can
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your default protein goal too low anyway. I'm getting anywhere from 175-225 grams of protein a day. I train very heavy though.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    NO you are fine. MFP sets protein levels low.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Protein is awesome. From what I have read, it is about 1g per 1lb you weigh. I am always over on my protein. Water is also your friend, I think you take your body weight, divide it in half and drink that many ounces per day!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    this is a very common concern. No worries. You can up your protean goals from the default of 15% or cals to something else. Mine is set to 25% which gives me anywhere between 150 to 200 grams per day. But I'm lifting.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I just picked up Bob Harpers (BL trainer) skinny rules and according to him you should consume half your body weight of protein in grams. So if you weigh 200 lbs you should eat 100 grams of protein a day. MFP has me wayyyy lower than that. ...

He is super healthy and everyone he trains loses weight by exercise AND nutrition so I guess I am upping my protein intake! Just sayin'!
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks people
  • PearonaPair
    Options
    I'm glad you asked the question because I'm always over too. Glad to know we're ok. Thanks
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Frankly, you're not actually eating enough protein. You should be eating about 1g/lb of lean body weight if you want to preserve your lean body mass while losing fat. Make sure you drink plenty of water though.

Unless you have kidney problems, don't worry about protein intake.
  • healthyhawaii
    Options
    this is a very common concern. No worries. You can up your protean goals from the default of 15% or cals to something else. Mine is set to 25% which gives me anywhere between 150 to 200 grams per day. But I'm lifting.

This is what I did, too. I'm a runner/yoga and pilates enthusiast, and I take in about 20% of my calories from protein on non-run days and about 25% on run days (all my runs are also on some incline). This usually translates to about 0.75g/1lb body weight on non-run days and usually 1g/1lb or more body weight on run days.

When you're cutting, be mindful that MFP will calculate your protein requirement based on the percentage of the calories you're projecting to take in. When I cut, I leave my calories at my usual recommended level, so I'm aware of my protein requirements (since the calories cut are basically from fats and carbs). Hope that makes sense!