What type of mom are you?

Options

Replies

• amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My son eats whatever I make for dinner. He is 2 years old and actually not picky at all. The only modification is I am a vegan and he's only vegetarian so sometimes I make different meals for each of us.
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    I had five children at home at one time. If they did not like the meal served; they were free to make something else. Guess what, all are much better cooks and bakers than their mom is.

THis is our family.. but we have six kids :)
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I always let my kids pick for dinner. Their choices are: eat or go hungry.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    i decide when and what we eat for dinner.

but hey im open if they want to start cooking. you cook, i clean!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day, my mood, my son's mood, or what we have to eat.
  • foremate
    foremate Posts: 38
    Options
    I am the type where my 8 yr old daughter chooses what she wants to eat certain days of the week. i usually cook 4 days out of the week. She was born a grazer...she would eat sporadically throughout the day...I would have to leave a plate out for her to eat for a couple of hours and then take away the plate...ever since she was little she was that way...now she tries to make healthy choices when it comes to her snacks...so proud of her...
  • paperstars
    paperstars Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I give a couple of choices for lunch and breakfast, but dinner is whatever I make or nothing.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I try to make sure that what I make is something healthful but they like. For example, my oldest hates pasta and pasta sauce. So, I don't make him eat it. I respect him enough to admit that he has his own tastes. There are foods that I don't like, and I don't eat them, so I give him the same consideration. I do often make split meals because their father eats a lot of conventional processed foods that I avoid.

I'm flexible, but not a restaurant. I can't read the future, my kids are young, but I see it continuing to be similar to how it is now. I let them help as much as they can appropriate to their age in the shopping and food prep. My oldest is special needs, so I try to have things that he will eat as oftentimes he would just go without eating rather than eat certain things, and he is already very slim.

The thing that is different from my style and other similar moms that I know IRL, is that I do have boundaries when it comes to the types of foods. Yes, I am willing to make you a sandwich because you don't like pasta. No, you can't buy a Kids' Cuisine to heat up. Yes, we can get some watermelon and strawberries. No, we can't get oatmeal cream pies. Yes, we can get grape juice. No, we can't get Hi-c.

There are some foods that my kids love. Cheese is probably the biggest one. I try to let them have the things they really like in the best way (such as real cheese, not kraft american chemical slices) and they have grown up eating things like apples and crackers, not Oreos and e z cheez.

I'm hoping that this will encourage them to eat better as adults. I was raised in a family where if there was breakfast, it was some ****ty sugar cereal, lunch was Ramen or bologna, you brought a little Debbie snack cake to school, "juice" was colored sugar water, and dinner was either a mountain of pasta and butter or sauce or it was hamburger helper. Vegetables were rare and came from a can. Salads, fresh fruit, and anything healthy need not apply. Look at me now! I've had to struggle with portion control and learning what is and isn't good to eat my entire adult life. I still am.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    They eat what I eat, on occasion they are allowed to make themselves a pb&j.
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I decide what is for dinner, however I take their opinions to mind and try to cook something they both like!
  • TonyM1984
    TonyM1984 Posts: 267
    Options
    Oops im in the wrong thread!
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm cooking something she doesn't eat I will make her whatever she wants.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    They eat what I make or they don't eat dinner! My daughter is very picky and she's the type of kid that if she hears i'm making something that just "sounds" gross to her, she'll say "eww i don't like that.. i don't want it" even though she's never tried it. Then she'll try to get me to make her something else. Uh uh. It doesn't work that way.. We don't have the money to be making separate dinners every night. You eat what I make or ya don't. It's that simple.
  • mommamisty823
    Options
    She eats what I cook (she's 3) if she doesn't like it she gets a PB&J. on Saturday it's usually whatever she wants (within reason)for breakfast and lunch, dinner depends on what we're doing that day.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    they eat what i cook usually.
    breakfast they make their own cereal or have yogurt or something.
    lunch (since it's summer) is like a sandwich or leftovers.
    dinner is protein and veg of my choosing, they choose rice/potato/whatever starch they want. usually a baked potato in the microwave cuz it's fast and easy and i don't eat it.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I try to plan meals everyone will like. Anyone who doesn't like what we're having can make themselves a pb&j. They are all old enough to do that except the 2yo and she's working on it ;) The others are 6,9,9 and 13. I do try new things from time to time though...
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I's taste in foods are too complicated for our kid...so I usually have her pick out her meal unless she's suggesting only sweet stuff, then I'll just cook something up that I know she'll eat.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I decide what we're having. If my kids let me know that they really like something, then I may try to have it a little more often.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Oh, I do not limit healthy snacks. They have healthy crackers, salt free pretzels, etc. in baggies in a little basket that they can take freely. There is also a bowl on the counter that holds a changing variety of fruits (always apples and oranges, sometimes peaches, nectarines, plums, etc) that they can take. I'm trying to encourage my two older children to snack more because they are both a bit underweight, and while it isn't dangerous I would prefer to make sure they are getting the nourishment they need. I limit juice but not milk or water and they both get "chocolate milk" once a day which is made with nutrient and calorie enhanced stuff my dr told me to give them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was a little of both when my girls were still at home. I might ask "would you rather have chicken or fish tonight?" But that often ended with one asking for chicken and the other for fish and then a whole thing about who "always" gets their way and then I'd end up kicking them out of the kitchen and making beans.

Or if one asked "could we have spaghetti tonight", I would often fix it.

But most of the time they were outside playing when I prepared dinner and had no idea what I was serving until I called them in. But even they complained about it, they knew I wasn't going to get up and fix them something else.