Vegetarian! Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time vegetarian/mostly vegan, recently turned 100% vegan! I highly recommend you read Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. His philosophy is to go for nutrient density - focusing on vegetables (especially leafy greens) and beans and legumes to get the most nutrients per calorie that you consume. I don't follow his recommendations completely, I consider them to be a goal, and I push myself toward that direction without feeling the need to be perfect about it. But he talks a lot about the emptiness of consuming a large amount of bread or pasta or other foods that provide a lot of calories without a lot of nutrition.

Feel free to add me as a friend for vegetarian support!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I got a lot of new veggie ideas by reading raw cookbooks. Things like making 'pasta' out of sliced zucchini and using big leafed vegetables instead of tortillas or bread.

I've cooked mostly vegetarian for 35 years and still learned a lot I'd never seen before.
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Nuts and beans! Yum!!
  • landay
    landay Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Here are my two favorite vegetarian websites with recipes:

www.peasandthankyou.com

www.ohsheglows.com
  • ladybugh
    ladybugh Posts: 14
    Options
    vegetariantimes.com has a plethora of recipes that you can filter by dietary needs. i eat lots of salads with olive oil/balsamic dressing, fruit/green smoothies, raw/soaked nuts and roasted veggies. it's all about finding the healthier ways to add the flavors we're used to. things like lemon juice, fresh herbs, avocado and coconut oil are my go-to additions. good luck!

I second the Vegetarian Times website for quick searches on yummy recipe ideas (direct link: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/ )

Their magazine is also good for ideas and tips on eating veg.
  • msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    www.ohsheglows.com is the best!!!! I am currently cooking my way thru her recipes :tongue:
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time vegetarian/mostly vegan, recently turned 100% vegan! I highly recommend you read Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman. His philosophy is to go for nutrient density - focusing on vegetables (especially leafy greens) and beans and legumes to get the most nutrients per calorie that you consume. I don't follow his recommendations completely, I consider them to be a goal, and I push myself toward that direction without feeling the need to be perfect about it. But he talks a lot about the emptiness of consuming a large amount of bread or pasta or other foods that provide a lot of calories without a lot of nutrition.

Feel free to add me as a friend for vegetarian support!

I second Dr. Fuhrman. I basically follow his Nutritarian style of eating, at least 90-95% of the time. I've felt better than ever and my cravings for less nutrient dense foods (bread, pasta, sweets) go away when I'm being faithful.