Started exercising now gained 2 pounds.

Options
I recently started back watching my diet and this past Saturday I finally worked up the nerve to go to the gym. I have gone everyday with the exception of one. I got on the scale this morning and have gained 2 pounds since last Friday. Feeling very discouraged. I have kept my calories within the 1250 range and have not cheated. If I have put it in my mouth it has been recorded. Has this happened to anyone else?:ohwell:

Replies

• dgbiggz
    dgbiggz Posts: 25
    Options
    Yes & I have posted about it & got NO response. I'm doing the same thing & my scale just keep going UP. It is very discouraging and frustrating. Lots of people on here say to "eat back your exercise calories"...it works for some, but it did NOT work for ME personally. I have been taught by the 2 trainers I've worked with in the past to burn more calories than you take in & that is what has always worked for me...not the eating more to lose method. Anyway, right now not even that is working. I do tons of cardio and according to my heart rate monitor I'm burning 800 to 900 calories during my workout, so I'm definitely burning more than I'm taking in, so I don't get it either. If anyone else out there has any insight, please respond. All I know is we just have to keep on working at it!!!
  • carmeness75
    Options
    :smile: yes mama at less it's only 2 lbs. I gain 5 lbs so I started eating 5 small meals and drinking more water. I have lost the 5 lb plus 2 morelbs. So keep up the good work you will lose those 2lbs. Keep up the good work...
  • TheRoseQueen
    TheRoseQueen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes, I actually gained 5 pounds one time and got very discouraged. What I did, though, was weigh in the following day after a really heavy workout of 55 minutes on ellliptical and another 60 plus minutes doing weight machines. Something to NOT DO, I was informed by many who replied to my post. I think that there are so many variables by being a woman - such as the time of month; time of day you weigh; what you are wearing; how much did you workout the day before which could be an increased water gain; etc, etc. etc.... Just keep working out and following your program and don't use the scale as the gauge.

Here is a link to an inspirational photo that I came across today that is truly inspirational and motivational: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/689150-wow-this-pic-just-brought-me-to-tears-before-after
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    And I find that MFP overestimates your workout burned calories. I always knock down what they say.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    When you do vigorous exercise your muscles swell, the extra fluid in them results in a slightly weight gain. Stay off the scales for a couple of weeks, it will happen, don't worry :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Could be a lot of things

Time of month

Time of day you weighed yourself

Clothes you were wearing

High sodium the day before ..... 1 weigh in, I wouldn't worry. If the weight hangs on for a few days .... maybe when you do lose (a few days later) ... it will be a few pounds.

Another good indicator (better than the scale IMO) ... measure yourself. Sometimes you will lose inches ... and not 1 pound
  • ackley06
    Options
    samblanken wrote: »
    And I find that MFP overestimates your workout burned calories. I always knock down what they say.

• ackley06
    Options
    ackley06 wrote: »
    samblanken wrote: »
    Yes, it is wrong, i work out at a fitness center that tells me the calories i burn and its about a 100 less than mfp.