New Runner needs and avoid

Options
2»

Replies

• cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    Oh thank you all so much. This is so helpful. I will go this weekend and get at least one pair of socks. Right now I am good on bras and shoes. I have a heart rate monitor.

I am going school shopping with my son this weekend so I"ll hit up target for the shorts and a new top. One new outfit. and then I'll have some new stuff to get.

I never thought about tights - But I will certainly look into it for winter time. It's really hot here right now - about 100 degrees and I think the shorts will be a bit cooler.

I have signed up for the Color Run this October. I'm looking forward to it and I am still surprise that I PAID someone to let me run 3.2 miles. So funny.

Thank you all again.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Sports bras are vital! I am going to name names right now because I am in a pickle! I just switched from a Champion compression sports bra to a Nike one. I have scabs~bleeding scabs~ all over my chest because that Nike bra does not compress like the Champion and I am chaffing! Switching back to Champion! Knew I had a good thing but the grass is always greener!

Anyway, wicking is vital. You run better, avoid chaffing and do not over heat as much. Be smart.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    In order of importance:

Shoes- if you have any pain anywhere in your body, check your shoes first. Go to a specialty running store for expert help.
    Clothes- I've seen lots of wicking cloth advice. I totally agree! DuoDry and CoolMax and such. I also love shorts with built in underwear. I buy all my running clothes at Target. You'll need to invest in better sports bras if you have big boobies. I have little ones so Target works for me LOL. I've never worn special socks.
    Vaseline and baby powder- as you run more, you might discover sensitive spots. you can rub on petroleum jelly before you workout and you won't chafe or rash. if you forget, treat with baby powder

My only fancy gear is a cheap media player and an arm band. I don't carry any other technology.

For runs longer than 60 minutes, I stuff my snack up the back of my sports bra.

Propel water bottles fit perfectly in my hand. After three half marathons, I still carry my water in my hand. Still considering an upgrade...

I'm also considering compression socks? I just don't know how to determine my size.
  • runzalot81
    Options
    I never thought about wicking socks...will borrow my sons from his scout hiking bag until I can get some others...My feet haven't gotten too sweaty yet, but then again, I haven't run that far or long yet....

I'll check into the other undergarments too...

I have the heart rate monitor and I need to get some shorts and tops...I wish there was something that could hold my cell phone while I run. I don't like it in it's clip at my belt cuz it's heavy on my shorts - I take it for the c25k program, but use my mp3 on my arm for music....any ideas for a better system for the phone (and maybe keys for when I have to drive to my runs. (I have a 5k in October that I'll have to drive to and I don't have anywhere to put my car key when I run. Maybe my sock, but it would sure be stinky if that fell out during the run.
    I used to tuck my key in the pocket in my shorts. Now, I can put my key and ID in my arm band. You can also tie it in with your shoelaces. I never carry my phone. It's a rule. If you have to have it, consider a second arm band?
  • runzalot81
    Options
    This is somewhat out of the box, but calcium supplements! Preferably ones with added vitamin d to help absorb the calcium. Your bones take a toll when running. It's important to ensure that you get calcium, especially being a woman, 1000mg per day to protect them later on down the road! I take viactiv calcium plus vitamin d chews in Caramel.
    This is great advice! I'm not getting any younger so I should be paying more attention to my calcium intake.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything already said...plus, foam roller. I'd never heard of it before running. It helps to stretch out your muscles. My legs were getting way tighter than I realized, and I didn't think it was a big deal. It is - so stretching is good.

Welcome to the club! :flowerforyou:
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Along with what others have said, I'd suggest the following:

Body Glide.

The Stick.

Hydration Belt.
  • denise10221971yahoo
    Options
    I always tie my car key to the little draw string inside the waistband of my shorts, and then just tuck it inside!
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Just make sure you stay safe with it. Many new runners try to conquer the world and up their distance too fast which can cause some pretty awful injuries. The rule of thumb I was always taught is 10%, so if you do 2 miles distance the first week than you increase it no more than 2.2 miles for week two etc.....

THIS!!!

I was overzealous when I started and increased my mileage far too fast. Regardless of how well you are feeling or how motivated, don't push it! I ended up with runner's knee and set myself back a bit.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I've read the love that runkeeper is getting but having tried runkeeper, mapmyrun, and endomondo, it's endomondo that I was actually willing to pay for. It has some great versatility including the ability to write your own interval training plan.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm pretty new to running also but instantly addicted! I found right away that socks were really important, then I was getting hip pain so I invested in my brooks glycerin 9's for a whopping $119.99 on sale. I've had them two weeks and it is the best investment I've made next to my Polar FT4 HRM. I went from doing 3 miles to doing 5 and this past Sunday I did 6.10 miles without a single walking step and my speed is up. Just got myself an armband and wow, what a difference that made. I was using Jog Tracker, but have recently started using MapMyRun and I like it much better (I have an android phone). I also found my favorite time to run is very early - like 4:30 a.m. in the rain and like someone else mentioned - a baseball cap made all the difference! I bought my first pair of UnderArmour compression shorts at the outlets this weekend. I'm still wearing old, huge plus size tank tops because I'm not comfy with my belly yet.. .don't want it bouncing at on coming traffic - lol. I'm going to do my first 5K on September 15th and I am sooo excited!!! Oh and I wear the Moving Comfort Maia II sports bra. I am so addicted to roadrunnersports!
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    LOVE this: http://www.amazon.com/SPIbelt-Small-Personal-Great-Runners/dp/B006L65UWU
    Holds my keys, cell phone and ipod and it doesn't bounce or move around.
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I always thought people who loved running were wankers. I must be ther biggest wanker out!! I started running a month ago with C25K and fell liek crap if I miss a day. I never thought I would love running!

I need to find some new clothes and something to hold my stuff in when I run lol
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Good sneakers , with advice from a running store.

I purchased a small fanny pack like belt, to hold my house key and Iphone.

I found an old visor cap that no one liked in the house. It's perfect for running, keeps the sun, and my hair, off my face but keeps my head open to cool off. And I use my ski sunglasses to run. They don't fall down on my face, plus I can change the lens if it is cloudy.

My son has suggested a smart wool running sock. They are a bit pricey, ($12 /pair}. I bought one to try them out. It was well in the 90's out. My feet never felt hot, and they were dry when I took the socks off after my run. They are so much better than cotton athletic socks! I liked them so much, I went back to the store to buy another pair. There was a sidewalk sale going on, i got 2 pair!

If you use your phone for timing, my son found {in a running store} a hand band to hold the phone. He says it's easier to see his time, pace, and distance than to keep pulling the phone out of the arm band. And it won't fall out. I use my ipod and nike app on it. It's the small one that clips onto my waistband of my running shorts. Works fine for me.
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wonderful tips!