Why does my cat eat EVERYthing!!?

Options
BrendaLee
BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
So I come downstairs to see my cat up on the sideboard eating my probiotics and elavil. It's not the first time he's gotten my probiotics...though I can't imagine why he'd want to eat them. It is, however the first time he's eaten an elavil. I was a little panicked at first until I looked it up and saw that it's commonly used to treat anxiety in cats at the dosage he took. He also highly enjoys rubber bands. Sigh. What a weirdo.

Replies

• Amber42803
    Options
    My cats do the same stinking thing. If it's there, doesn't matter what it is, if it's supposed to be swallowed or consumed, they're trying to get at it. I have three cats, and they're all a pain, but I love em'. My cats like anything that they can knock around and chase, and I do mean anything, just they other day they found a big ugly spider and were playing soccer with it. Talk about oddballs. I think cats are naturally goofy. Would you have them any other way? lol.

ALC

178464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Ktbell626
    Ktbell626 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    my cat tries to eat plastic bags for some reason. I have to tell my room mates not to leave plastic around the house.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    I've had a few good scares with this one when he ate the rubber bands. My other two don't do crazy things like that. My mom's cat loves plastic bags- he'll sit and lick them forever.
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I am a veterinary technician and just read this post-well I'll tel you..it scared me! Ah cats are curious creatures-BUT they can eat the most stupid things that can often get caught in the intestines and cause MAJOR problems. Usually resulting in emergency surgery:sad: Not fun for anyone! Try to cat-proof the house as best you can! I've got a plastic chewer myself!:mad: :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My cat likes to lay on plastic bags. My son saw him licking the kitchen cabinet door the other day. He's weird too. The cat that is. Well my son is weird too. :laugh: My cat also likes to like any food wrappers such as candy wrappers or snack food wrappers he finds laying around. Drives me nuts!
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Hey guys! I am a veterinary technician and just read this post-well I'll tel you..it scared me! Ah cats are curious creatures-BUT they can eat the most stupid things that can often get caught in the intestines and cause MAJOR problems. Usually resulting in emergency surgery:sad: Not fun for anyone! Try to cat-proof the house as best you can! I've got a plastic chewer myself!:mad: :laugh:

I worried for weeks after he ate the rubber bands. I pretty much expected him to become obstructed. Plastic and rubber...hmm...I wonder what it is that makes them eat those things in particular. God, I remember one time he had the end of a spool of thread down his throat, and I had to pull it out.
  • TJFreeman
    Options
    My cat likes to lay on plastic bags. My son saw him licking the kitchen cabinet door the other day. He's weird too. The cat that is. Well my son is weird too. :laugh: My cat also likes to like any food wrappers such as candy wrappers or snack food wrappers he finds laying around. Drives me nuts!

One of my cats also has a plastic bag fetish and will eat ANYTHING. He especially loves dill pickles.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My cat at a pistachio shell that got stuck in his small intestine and he had to have surgery or die.

There went $1,000 last month. UGH.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My cats have all been the same way. But I love em just the same.

One time I had one that kept on sneezing and we couldn't figure out why. He would hack and cough and then sneeze so we checked him over. Well it turned out that he had eaten grass and apparently threw it up or whatever and it came up out his nose. So DH went to pull it out and he pulled and pulled and pulled all the while the poor cat was gagging and sputtering. When he got it out, finally, that piece of grass was at least 7 or 8 inches long! But it was funny!:bigsmile:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you didn't leave everything out for the cat to eat....

....STOP SABOTAGING YOUR CATS JOURNEY!