Protein Shake Help

Options
I know there's already a lot of info on here about this kind of thing, but scrolling through it all didn't give me exactly what I needed, so I thought I'd ask. I lift weights 3 times a week, and do cardio 5-7 times. I know for strength training, I should possibly have a protein shake to help rebuild my muscles.

I want opinions on what's quick, easy, tasty, and cheap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Depends if you want one you can make at home, or one to bring with you to the gym. At home, I have two I make (one is new!)

Chocolate-banana-peanut butter:
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1/2 cup plain fat free greek yogurt
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 banana
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    ice

Pumpkin Pie
    1-1.5 scoops vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    2 tsp sugar
    cinnamon, ginger, cloves & nutmeg to taste
    ice

Both are delicious.

If you're looking for one to take with you on the go, I like Naked Protein Zone for the taste, but it's got a bit of a gritty texture and you have to keep it cold. Bars are easier; Clif Builder Bars are around 270 cal and 20g of protein, and pretty tasty
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Depends if you want one you can make at home, or one to bring with you to the gym. At home, I have two I make (one is new!)

Chocolate-banana-peanut butter:
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 banana
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    ice

Pumpkin Pie
    1-1.5 scoops vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    2 tsp sugar
    cinnamon, ginger, cloves & nutmeg to taste
    ice

Both are delicious.

If you're looking for one to take with you on the go, I like Naked Protein Zone for the taste, but it's got a bit of a gritty texture and you have to keep it cold. Bars are easier; Clif Builder Bars are around 270 cal and 20g of protein, and pretty tasty

Thank you! What protein powder do you use?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    No shakes needed, whole foods work perfectly fine
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I buy Dymatize Elite Whey, in Rich Chocolate and Gourmet Vanilla

And Acg67, whole foods work fine to an extent, but sometimes a shake it easier and cheaper. I for one can't afford the quantity of good quality meats I would need to get in my recommended protein, and some people are vegetarian which makes it even harder!
  • littlewhittles
    Options
    I buy Dymatize Elite Whey, in Rich Chocolate and Gourmet Vanilla

And Acg67, whole foods work fine to an extent, but sometimes a shake it easier and cheaper. I for one can't afford the quantity of good quality meats I would need to get in my recommended protein, and some people are vegetarian which makes it even harder!

Great, thank you for your help. :)
  • rbet415
    rbet415 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I go with Dymatize ISO 100 in Smooth Banana. Quick and easy and only 106 calories per 25g of protein.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a recovery drink of some fashion after each of those work-outs (lifting or cardio). My preference after lifting is two servings (scoops) of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey mixed in with 1 cup of 2% Milk. After a long cardio session, I usually will drink a few cups of 1% or 2% Chocolate milk (no protein added).
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of

VPX sro zero carb chocolate protein 3 scoops
    4 oz. of egg whites
    12oz black coffee
    1 Tbsp of metamucil clean and clear fiber ( because I <3 pooping)
  • littlewhittles
    Options
    Thanks all! This is very helpful. :)