Die Hard Clean Eaters???

Options
Is there anyone on here that eats only clean and/or organic for every meal and every snack? I have been reading about nutrition for a few years now and have found many sources that talk about the chemicals and other things put into foods now. It sickens me to think I am putting that kind of stuff in my body that I am working so hard to get back, but what are some of the ways that you eat only clean/organic products? Especially since "organic" is a fine line with the USDA being so free with their stamping.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone on here that eats only clean and/or organic for every meal and every snack? I have been reading about nutrition for a few years now and have found many sources that talk about the chemicals and other things put into foods now. It sickens me to think I am putting that kind of stuff in my body that I am working so hard to get back, but what are some of the ways that you eat only clean/organic products? Especially since "organic" is a fine line with the USDA being so free with their stamping.

Ahhhh! chemicals in foods?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/22/opinion/la-oe-blum-chemicals-20120122

Also

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • Pfirmana
    Options
    I've been a die-hard clean eater for a bit! I just discovered Tosca Reno's "Eat Clean Diet Stripped" which is a great book on how the eat clean! I have just started, and within 3 days notice that I am nto retaining as much water. Tho I had eaten clean on my own before, her suggestions make it a little more organized and have you put more thought into it. Here are the basics:

Eat 5/6 small meals a day.
    At each meal there must be a serving or lean protein (4 oz chicken breast, tilapia, salmon, shrimp, pork, etc).
    At each meal there must be a complex carb from a fruit or vegetable (apple, orange, cucumber, tomatoe, broccoli, green bean, etc)
    At 2 meals there must be a complex carb from a starch (oatmeal, sweet potatoe, quinoa, brown rice, carrot, banana, black bean, chick pea).
    Have 1 to 2 good fats (1 T olive oil, coconut oil, flaxseed, avocado slices, 1/4 nuts, 2 T nut butter (all natural of course!))
    Space your meals about 3 hours apart. I eat at 6 am, 9 am, noon, 3 pm, 6pm, and IF hungry (only if physically hungry) have that 6th meal at least 3 hours before bedtime. Tho sometimes you need a little nibble before bed, this is when some nuts are okay, stay away from carbs at night!
    The hardest part to starting this is the planning out your meals! I spent all day Sunday planning and literally making a little grid for myself to make sure I hit the complex carb, the starch, the fat, etc! Then hit the grocery store, then cook it all (I cook for a week at a time) and you are great to go! I find that my first early meal before I workout is a hard-boiled egg and an apple as I'm out the door. The I have scrambled eggs with oatmeal. Then meal 3 is 4 oz of chicken or fish, with a cup steamed veggies and a cup brown rice or quinoa. Meal 4 is an orange with a hard-boiled egg or protein shake. Meal 5 is 4 oz lean protein again, with 1 c veggies. Then sometimes some dry unsalted peanuts in the evening.
    Hope this helps!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Ahhhh! chemicals in foods?

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/22/opinion/la-oe-blum-chemicals-20120122

Also

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

That first link is awesome funny :)

My take on it? I'd rather cook a chicken breast and fresh veggies than a lean cuisine meal in the microwave. Why? I can eat more food for the calories, get more food for my buck, and my veggies still have some good nutritional value. Plus, it just tastes better.

I'd rather have natural cheese without food dyes. Why? Because food dye serves no purpose. If I can get it without, I do.

I'd rather buy regular pesticide grown tomatoes than organic. Why? Because they're cheaper and I don't eat them in such large quantity that the pesticides have any detrimental affect to my health.

To each their own... I will still eat a big mac and orange cheese. But when I'm cooking, I like to choose my own ingredients and lean more towards a balance of fresh, tasty, and affordable.

But that's just my preference. You're not going to die from Lean Cuisines.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Side note: Organic foods can still be chuck full of un-natural preservatives, dyes, etc... it only applies to how it's grown, not processed. So... pick your battles :)
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Gosh I dont know am I a die hard clean eater I wouldnt think so but I do like to cook as much as possible from fresh I would use tinned beans tomatos and tuna wouldnt it be very hard to avoid absolutely everything processed?