HRM

Options
Hi! Okay i am so ready to buy a HRM, but i have no idea where to start! I know you get what you pay for, however, i would rather not spend more than $50. I am just always so confused as to who to believe the machines or MFP? Any suggestions for which HRM to purchase would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Get one with a strap, that's my best suggestion.
  • Inforthelonghaul
    Options
    My suggestion would be don't bother, instead stick to High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). You'll have to work harder but for less time.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    If you get used to taking your pulse, it's a much cheaper way to figure out heart rate. Just don't press too hard and use your two first fingers, not your thumb on your wrist. Once you get used to it , it can be quite easy to figure out, as well as being bang on accurate....
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to spend that much on mine either. I got the Polar F1 which is the cheapest version. You do get what you pay for when it comes to HRMs. Many people here love the Polar F4. For example the Polar F1 only tells my my max heart rate and my average heart rate and the end of a workout. I believe the more expensive versions will do a "calories burned" calculation for you. I just took my average heart rate and my max heart rate and took to the googles. I found a calculator online that would take my average heart rate and length of workout and give me my "calories burned".

They come with a watch type wristband receiver and a chest strap. I tend to only use it when I am exercising at home ;)
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bump! I would like to buy one too and don't know where to start. The Polar FT4 has really good reviews on Amazon, but it's still $65 :ohwell:
  • ekking69
    ekking69 Posts: 44
    Options
    I used to have a Polar something, about 7 or 8 years ago that I have lost in a few moves. I loved it. I was so accurate and gave such a good indication of how I was doing with target heart rate. It also was more accurate about calories burned than the machines at the gym. I too am looking to get one and am leaning towards the Polar F4 due to the reviews. I've been reading a lot from people on here that have them and love them, but they never answer me when I ask them what kind they have! Frustrating!