Chick-fil-a

Options
For 6 months I have not had any fast food. Not a burger, not a fry, not a single slice of pizza. I am sending my hubby to Chick-fil-a tonight, not because my will power has failed but because I value the first amendment. I know this may make me rather unpopular with some of you. I don't really care about the religious beliefs of the owner of the company but I do very much care when a city official admits to banning a business because its owner doesn't believe the same way he does. The owner of Chick-fil-a has a right to his opinion and the right to express it and the government does not have the right to punish him for it. I wouldn't want them to tell me I can't have a business because I am a Muslim, Christian, Jew, Atheist, white, black, yellow, red, or any other non business motivated reason. I'm having the Char grilled chicken garden salad for 180 calories..... I am just glad I am not having to stand up for McDonalds, because Chick-fil-a salads are much tastier.

Replies

• saraast
    saraast Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Amen, sistah!

^^^(that's kind of punny lol)
  • MegdKel
    MegdKel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Love it, and i agree with you all the way girl! Hubby and I are going for supper :)
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 110%. If there was a chick fil a by me i would be there!!!!
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! I went today...and will admit I indulged in some bad food!!
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I don't really care who supports what, I will eat there because it is good. We don't have any around here though, but if I liked it, I would go. People are people no matter if they are gay or straight.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'm all for the first amendment. And I agree that the guy is entitled to speak his opinion, as a person.

But as the employer of hundreds of gays across the country, he wasn't entitled to say what he said.

Just like my boss has every right to think muslims are crazy, but the second she says that, as my boss, it becomes inappropriate and a human resources nightmare.

You aren't supporting the first amendment, you're supporting biggotry.
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree with you too! I think the main point here is that it's a Christian based company. What do you really expect them to say? Plus they have every right to say their opinion as do gay people do. It is hypocritical of people to ban them because they stand for what they believe in. They are not bashing them they are just stating their beliefs. It is maddening. Hating someone for believing something different than your believes is what creates problems.

Can't we all just get along?
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I went this morning early and got breakfast for nine friends.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    Options
    You are terribly misinformed. No one is saying that he doesn't have the consitutional right to express himself, people are saying that your speech comes with consequences, just like your speech does and so does mine. I am constitutionally allowed to tell my boss to go f himself, but I would get fired. That is why people are boycotting, not because people don't have the right to free speech, but because they disagree with the content of what he states.

In addition, it is not only the speech people that people have a problem with, they have a problem that the company actively supports legislation, not only for "traditional marriage", but for things like stopping muders of gay men in Uganda. I am all for free speech, but it's my choice not to support chick-fil-a and the ACTIONS they have taken. They will be on the wrong side of history.

With that said, I think city boycots are ridiculous.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I agree with you too! I think the main point here is that it's a Christian based company. What do you really expect them to say? Plus they have every right to say their opinion as do gay people do. It is hypocritical of people to ban them because they stand for what they believe in. They are not bashing them they are just stating their beliefs. It is maddening. Hating someone for believing something different than your believes is what creates problems.

Can't we all just get along?

Amen I honestly agree with you!! :flowerforyou:
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Everybody needs a treat sometimes!! Good for you! And I am sorry to be so publically ignorant but I don't exactly know about the issue with chick-fil-a but I do agree with the right to be able to choose your own beliefs!! Sounds very wrong to be banned because of your personal beliefs.

P.s. I am jealous of your shape in your profile pic!! So pretty!! Way to go!
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm all for the first amendment. And I agree that the guy is entitled to speak his opinion, as a person.

But as the employer of hundreds of gays across the country, he wasn't entitled to say what he said.

Just like my boss has every right to think muslims are crazy, but the second she says that, as my boss, it becomes inappropriate and a human resources nightmare.

You aren't supporting the first amendment, you're supporting biggotry.

agreed.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    theoneandonlybrookie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Um, nobody, and I mean nobody has said they don't have a right to their opinion. They have a right to say whatever the hell they want to say. And the rest of us, who aren't total bigots, have a right to boycott them.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    There are forums rules, which do not violate the first amendment, that ask that we do not post divisive topics in the general forums. There are groups for these discussions.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Regardless of which side of that particular issue you are on, you have the First Amendment right to say which side you are on.

They don't have the right to refuse to serve certain groups or refuse to hire them, but they have the right to make a statement.

There are several companies with whom I do not agree on their company's stand on some issue or another. I don't do business with them. That's my right.

If there was a CFA in my area I'd be eating there today, too.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I didn't know they had salads!

And I totally stand behind their being closed on Sundays (although that is usually my "eat out" day).
  • Mommy_x3
    Mommy_x3 Posts: 48
    Options
    I agree with you!

If I was close to one, I'd go too!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    For 6 months I have not had any fast food. Not a burger, not a fry, not a single slice of pizza. I am sending my hubby to Chick-fil-a tonight, not because my will power has failed but because I value the first amendment. I know this may make me rather unpopular with some of you. I don't really care about the religious beliefs of the owner of the company but I do very much care when a city official admits to banning a business because its owner doesn't believe the same way he does. The owner of Chick-fil-a has a right to his opinion and the right to express it and the government does not have the right to punish him for it. I wouldn't want them to tell me I can't have a business because I am a Muslim, Christian, Jew, Atheist, white, black, yellow, red, or any other non business motivated reason. I'm having the Char grilled chicken garden salad for 180 calories..... I am just glad I am not having to stand up for McDonalds, because Chick-fil-a salads are much tastier.

The issue is that Chickfila uses business funds set aside for charitable giving and directs A LOT of them to anti-gay groups. If the owner was using his personal money that were included in his EARNINGS, I wouldn't care. But as a business owner myself, you have public and private giving. I personally give to Planned Parenthood. I would never use funds directly from my business to support Planned Parenthood because I know that would create a moral conflict for some of my clients and since I actually respect differences in opinion and politics, I don't do that. THAT is really why Chickfila is being run out of some places -- not the personal beliefs of the owner.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    He certainly has a right to speak his mind, and I have a right to disagree with him and eat elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.