Nutrients to track?

Options
Hi, I've got borderline high cholesterol which was 202 in February (when I weighed approx. 197 lb.), so my Dr. advised "lose weight & start exercising." I did that, and when it was re-checked last week, despite having worked out approx. 5x/week for 60-90 minutes and lost 12 lb. on his scale (weighed 183, fully dressed, after drinking extra water for an easy blood draw), I got my results last weekend, and my cholesterol had gone UP to 212.

So he advised keep up diet & exercise, but I'd like to keep a closer watch on my nutrition. I currently track my macros (protein-carbs-total fat), plus fiber & dietary cholesterol.

Do you think it's better to switch fiber out and track saturated fat instead?

Has anyone here successfully lowered their cholesterol without medication? Thanks in advance for any tips/experience.

Replies

• TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Karen,
    I did some googling for you: http://www.naturalnews.com/002692.html

Not all saturated fats are bad, coconut oil is a saturated fat but contains lots of medium chain fatty acids which are good. Animal saturated fats are generally the problem.

Hope that helps. Keep on keeping on honey!
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Agreed this is a hard one, you do still need saturated fats in your diet, they aren't as bad they once thought previously. I think genetics has a lot to do with it, my wife of 24 years has always watched what she ate and me not so much and she has high cholesterol ( go figure) mine is low. I track saturated fat but don't pay attention to it really and I used to track sugar but if its from fruit and veggies mostly no need to track. I just go by 195 grams protein a day 30% of calories from fat a day (olive oil, fish oil, almonds, peanut butter, mostly mono and poly fats) That being said I hope you find something that works, keep working out and ask your Doctor what he thinks. I see my Doctor on Monday (44 pounds lighter) I will ask him what he suggests for high cholesterol without medication and see what he has to say. Hang in there you are kicking *kitten*!