Heart Rate Monitors? Yes or No?

Options
So after the on again - off again pattern I've fallen in to which this whole lifestyle change I'm trying to do, I've decided to look in to getting a heart rate monitor to help track my work out progress.

The thing is, I don't know anything about them and before doing a little research I figured I would ask my fellow MFP's about your experiences with HRM.

Do you have one?
If you don't, do you want one?
How do you like it?
Which are the best (within a decent price range)?
And which do you absolutely hate?
Which brands should I look in to and which should I avoid all together?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT4 for 80$ at D's Sporting Goods. I love, love, love it! I even wear it for silly things, like cutting the grass! I personally feel it's more accurate than any of the other calories burned calculators I've seen on-line!
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad someone posted this. I am trying to find a better heart rate monitor than the one I currently have. It sucks lol.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yes I have one.

I love it

Best is Polar... FT4, FT7, FT40 or FT60.

Stay away from Timex.. The calorie burns on those things are awful.

You also need a chest strap one.. without they won't be accurate.
  • emmi_21
    emmi_21 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mine just arrived this morning! It is a Sigma only £30. The heart reate is accurate and beeps when it goes into different zones, whichs is useful if you are working too hard for endurance training or if you want to increase it for a tough session. This one also record calories burned which is a bouns, and I have read that this is the most accurate way or working out calories rather than online estimators.

The model I have is the Sigma PC9 man. Made for a small males wrist but I have small wrists (15cm I think) and it doesn't look too bad.
  • Sweetness023
    Options
    Thanks for the info so far! I've been skimming through some HRMs and saw the Polar FT4 on sale for $65.04. Hopefully the sale will still be on when I get my next paycheck! Although I'm still scouting around for different options. :)

Here's the links for all those interested.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft4m-orange.html

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft4f-bronze.html
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have had one that came with my garmin and I hated it. I founded it annoying to wear.

I guess I don't really see the point honestly. I can tell if I am running too fast but how I breathe/feel.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Do you have one? Yes
    How do you like it? LOVE IT!!
    Which are the best (within a decent price range)? I have a Polar FT4
    Which brands should I look in to and which should I avoid all together? $60-$80 (it's more affordable b/c it doesn't have unnecessary things on it. It's tracks calories lost, that's what I need lol)
  • jenbehe
    jenbehe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I absolutely love it. Mine was $80 but it was worth it. :) Not really sure about any others though.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4, reasonable, easy to use and I love it!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't really want one. It might be nice to use it for a little while to see how efficient my body is and use it as a reference point, but I'm trying to make sustainable changes that last my whole life, and I don't want to be wearing a HRM for the rest of my life. I'm afraid I'd rely on it too much, like a crutch.
  • Sweetness023
    Options
    I'm definitely looking for one that will also track my calories burned as well so I can get the max out of this whole thing. Seems like the Polar is a favorite though. I'll definitely have to look in to it more.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and think it's the best money I've spent on fitness besides my gym membership.

For me, it helps me determine if I need to eat more calories or not.. I love it
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't have one and I honestly don't see how they could be that accurate unless you're putting in ALL of your information: height, weight, sex, resting HR etc. etc. etc. and even then I don't see how it could be completely accurate.
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i've had two,both polar, i think they are excellent,
    they give instant feedback on each workout,calories burned/max h.r/avg h.r etc,
    currently have a polar ft 80 which is linked to polars website so i can see my progress over a longer period of time,
    personally i think they are a great motivational tool.
  • Sweetness023
    Options
    Probably a stupid question but is there a difference between the watches? I'm seeing 'men's' and 'women's' in the titles but I'm assuming that only differences are the colors. Just wanted to make sure.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have one.
    Yes, I like it.
    No, it's not required/necessary. But yes, it is nice.

Anything from Polar, Suunto, and Garmin will be good. Anything else is iffy at best.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Probably a stupid question but is there a difference between the watches? I'm seeing 'men's' and 'women's' in the titles but I'm assuming that only differences are the colors. Just wanted to make sure.

AFAIK, color and band size differs men to women, but functionality is the same.
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I recently bought one and love it. It's a Polar FT40 and was about $100. I see a lot of good reviews about the Polar FT4 here too, and I believe that one is much less expensive.
  • rblakeman
    Options
    I have the Polar FT 60 and love it. It is accurate with measuring the heart rate, and seems reasonable with the calorie burn (less than what the treadmill says). I find it helpful to pace myself...I aim for keeping in the 180s on my runs, which gives me a decent calorie burn of 11 to 12 per minute. I also find it motivating to go 'just a little longer," as I can see the calorie burn as I go. My HR monitor did take a resting heart rate and asked for height, weight, and age.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a few.

Garmin Edge 800 (GPS) for the mountain bike
    Garmin Forerunner 405 (GPS watch) for forest running, trekking - NOT FOR GYM as it calculates calories from distance
    Polar S725 road bike and gym (No GPS) - Today I would replace this with a Polar CS300 which is overkill for if you do not bike.

The FT4 or FT7 are the go to choices for a first Polar for the gym (they have a calorie calculation).

What sports do you plan to use it with?