Shin Splints

Options
Anyone have them? Get them? Know how to relieve them?

:smile:

Replies

• nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I bet you 100 dollars you get 5 people telling you to buy shoes ;) How long you been running, you running outside or treadmill, flat or hills?
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The only relief for shin splints is to wait it out.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The only relief for shin splints is to wait it out.

What if you always get them when you run?

This happens to me all the time whether running on a treadmill (even tried slight incline, doesnt work) or on pavement. I've had them ever since I played soccer when I was younger.

I'm also looking for a solution! :)
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Shoes lol

and you really just have to wait it out. I had horrible shin splints for like a month when i first started running... it'll pass!
  • beckie4442
    beckie4442 Posts: 132
    Options
    i've got them, i've also developed runner's knee, I've just rested from impact exersize for a week but the pain hasn't gone away yet!!!! Don't know what else to do too......
  • susiebear29
    Options
    yes!!! rest, elevate legs, deep heat rub, ice packs, anti-inflammatorys, make sure you've got decent supportive trainers!!! and don't push yourself too much too quickly (I am very guilty of this!!) hope they're not causing you too much pain :smile:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Plenty of rest and pain killers. And as already said check your shoes though I've had shin splint from fitted shoes.
  • SuperKeely
    SuperKeely Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have them. What helps me:

- Massage them *before* whatever workout aggravates them (in my case this is both running and skating)
    - Changing my stride (running)
    - Stretching them out after running/skating, and massaging some "Icy Hot" or A535 into them (if you can handle smelling like toothpaste, haha)
    - To relieve them mid-workout I lie on my back and put my legs straight up the wall (in an L shape). I only have to do this if I forget the first 3 things.

Hope that helps!
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i've got them, i've also developed runner's knee, I've just rested from impact exersize for a week but the pain hasn't gone away yet!!!! Don't know what else to do too......

Runners knee sucks. Get an IT Band brace. It will help a lot. Anytime I have to run long distance or hills I wear one on my left leg. If your knee is still hurting you need to RICE and Ibuprofen to help with swelling.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I only have problems when I run outdoors. Never had any issue on a treadmill. Unfortunately I decided to be a big shot Sunday & ran a couple miles outside. Still suffering from shin splints, damnit.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ice is your friend, right after your done running. cured mine and also cured my friends.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Shin splints suck and I suffer from them anytime I return to running after a little time off (due to other injuries.) I pretty much just listen to my body and when I need to take a day of rest because they are painful, then I take a day of rest or I do something low impact like the elliptical. I ice them after I run. I also have compression sleeves that are AMAZING. They really help to relieve the pain. It usually takes about a month or so before they actually go away. I already have proper shoes, so if you don't, then that's something you should look into. Not saying you are guaranteed to not have shin splints if you get the right shoes but it might/should help. The compression sleeves though were definitely my saving grace. Hope your shins feel better soon.

Oh also, try to run on softer surfaces until the shins feel better, like dirt vs street or sidewalk. Don't sprint downhills either, or that will kill your shins too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I get them from time to time.

Rest your legs.
    Get on a softer surface to reduce impact stress.
    Make sure you have the right shoes and that said shoes are in good shape.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    TOO MUCH TOO SOON!!! BIG BIG reason shin splints happen..I get them often. Ice packs every night or several times a day if you can. Get OFF the roads!!! Find trails, dirt, crushed limestone! It's worth it even if you have to drive a little bit to go run.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I always do toe touches after I've warmed up, and after running. helped me a lot
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I have been told that once you have them, rest, ice and when yo start running again run on grass for a few weeks.
    and good shoes from a shop that checks your gait
    Good luck, I hope you are back in action soon
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes, currently recovering from shin splints (my first encounter with them and been told I'm prone)... I've taken lots of rest, complete rest for the first week with icing, elevation and taping. Then started low impact exercises; swimming, strength (upper body only). Once the pain had eased I started to incorporate specific exercises and stretches that strengthen the ankles and shins, paying particular attention to the leg with the shin splints (.only start to do this when your not in pain anymore) and I do these 3 times a day. I also massage the area, this I have found is amazing for shin splints!! I massage with a small amount of tiger/dragon balm (great stuff) and use my thumbs to push into the shin and around the ankle in upward circular motion.

I hear compression sleeves are amazing for those who often suffer shin splints and I've just ordered my first pair (women's cep compression sleeves) so can't comment on they're effectiveness yet, but I believe will be a good investment as it stops the muscles 'jiggling' about whilst running. Also apparently good to wear post workout/bedtime for recovery.
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Oh I second running on grass when you get back to running and start running gradually!! I went for a very short, very slow jog today on grass and then did all my usual cool down, stretching, icing and didn't suffer any pain afterwards.

They're a pain in the bum - key is to recognise when you need to rest otherwise you'll make them worse, resulting in much more time off.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I have them. They start up anytime I go walking for any distance or length of time. They go away after the first mile or so, but my dr said I could always take 3-4 ibuprofen 45-60 mins before I go walking. That did seem to help a lot.