hiv/aids transmission!

Options
13»

Replies

• d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Oops, I meant to quote and then post. Both of my parents died from AIDS when I was a child. Four children and two grandparents who lived with them, including myself, did not contract it. Blood and semen/vaginal fluids. That's it.

And breast milk.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I know somebody who thinks that only homosexual men can get it. I showed him the CDC website where it said that most of the people who have HIV/AIDS are actually heterosexual. Still didn't believe me. Facts are just too much for some people.

It is true that in the USA, most of the people who have HIV are homosexual, however, worldwide numbers indicate that it is majority heterosexual. It is possible that this person is just ignorant and doesn't realize that the world is bigger than just the USA.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Truth: HIV is like Herpes in that it stays alive on the toilet seat for at least 45 minutes. Careful where you poop!

Way to spread some total bullsh!t that I'm sure some idiot here will believe.

some idiot?

What I think they meant by "some idiot" is someone who instantly believes something because a random person said it on the internet. I hope that clarifies things.
  • nalfavi
    nalfavi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Truth: HIV is like Herpes in that it stays alive on the toilet seat for at least 45 minutes. Careful where you poop!

some idiot?

What I think they meant by "some idiot" is someone who instantly believes something because a random person said it on the internet. I hope that clarifies things.

Successful troll is successful.
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options

The bacteria responsible for bubonic plague couldn't survive on a non-porous, non-living surface longer than 5 minutes. Take a microbiology course. Or google some research by someone who already did.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Transmission can happen through any type of body fluid, so yes it can be passed through spit. Not by just swapping spit and kissing someone, but if the receiver has an open wound it can get into the blood stream.

WRONG!!!!!!!
    uhhhhhh RIGHT!

HIV can be transmitted from an infected person to another through:

Blood (including menstrual blood)
    Semen
    Vaginal secretions
    Breast milk

The following “bodily fluids” are NOT infectious:

Saliva
    Tears
    Sweat
    Feces
    Urine

source: http://www.aids.org/topics/aids-faqs/how-is-hiv-transmitted/

i was at a workshop that said rectal leakage can actually transmit and has a higher viral load, which is why anal sex is so dangerous (rectal discharge into tears).

http://www.gmfa.org.uk/sex/hivandaids/how-hiv-is-transmitted
    and for all the people that think saliva still transmits (in a large amount) you people are WRONG! just like my friend was last night. don't be misinformed
  • foxyforce
    Options
    i had an argument with a friend last night, and I am still super annoyed by it

they think that you can get hiv through skin contact, or through spit

they are WRONG. please never pass on misinformation. there is a ton of accurate information out there that doesn't persecute people or spread fear.

When claiming that you can catch HIV by touching someone, you should perhaps produce your source of that information. Then we can at least mock the source instead of you.

you didn't read my post, you thought i was the idiot, and i'm not. love the pom.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Transmission can happen through any type of body fluid, so yes it can be passed through spit. Not by just swapping spit and kissing someone, but if the receiver has an open wound it can get into the blood stream.

this is SO incorrect!!!!!

even if the receiver of the kiss had an open wound, there is a) not enough viral load in spit, if any, for transmission, b) open wounds aren't the highest source of transmission in hiv, if it is a sore, it is bleeding out, not in, the rate of transmission is super LOW, even if they both had sores in their mouths they would BOTH need to line up perfectly and rub together...and the odds of that?
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options

WRONG!!!!!!!

if u did not notice I cleary stated swaping spit will not transmit, but can be possible ONLY if there is open wounds

so not WORNG but CORRECT

BTW ;

In some persons living with HIV, the virus has been detected in saliva, but in extremely low quantities. Contact with saliva alone has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV
    http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/transmission.htm
  • foxyforce
    Options

WRONG!!!!!!!

if u did not notice I cleary stated swaping spit will not transmit, but can be possible ONLY if there is open wounds

so not WORNG but CORRECT

BTW ;

In some persons living with HIV, the virus has been detected in saliva, but in extremely low quantities. Contact with saliva alone has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV
    http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/transmission.htm

no, your information is still incorrect. saliva smeared all over a wound will not transmit hiv.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options

even if the receiver of the kiss had an open wound, there is a) not enough viral load in spit, if any, for transmission, b) open wounds aren't the highest source of transmission in hiv, if it is a sore, it is bleeding out, not in, the rate of transmission is super LOW, even if they both had sores in their mouths they would BOTH need to line up perfectly and rub together...and the odds of that?

odds may definitely be in your favor, but why take chances?
  • arnoswife
    arnoswife Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Here are some facts.

http://www.aids.org/topics/aids-faqs/how-is-hiv-transmitted/

Saliva DOES NOT transmit HIV

THANK YOU.

My father lost his battle with AIDS 2 years ago. This topic is very near and dear to my heart. Learn the facts, and spread ACCURATE information. This disease doesn't discriminate on who it infects.

I am sorry for your loss. But I am glad that someone first hand is able to clear up some of these misconceptions on the whole issue!! One day I hope they truly find a cure for this!
  • foxyforce
    Options

odds may definitely be in your favor, but why take chances?

there is no transmission through saliva, that is the point.
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    Oops, I meant to quote and then post. Both of my parents died from AIDS when I was a child. Four children and two grandparents who lived with them, including myself, did not contract it. Blood and semen/vaginal fluids. That's it.

And breast milk.

More reason to get tested, protect yourselves, and be safe. My siblings and I were not breastfed and somehow none of us got it during birth.