mixed reviews on eating after 8pm...

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    ...wait for it....

....it'll happen in this thread..... I can just feel it.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I feel like it. I don't eat a lot at work, so my food is all usually crammed between 6pm-11pm. I haven't had any issues with it and my weight loss is going smoothly thus far!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I normally try to stop eating 3 hrs before bed. When you sleep, I don't think it's considered starving yourself.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    going 12 hours without food puts you in stavation mode..

lol...
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry after 8pm, eat.

/thread
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The idea that 12 hours without eating puts you in "starvation mode" is a myth. So is the rule that you cannot eat after 8PM. Problem solved!

Seriously, just maintain a caloric deficit (preferably while eating healthful foods) and weight loss will happen.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Your body has no idea what time it is. I try not to eat an hour or so before bed, but only because I sleep better that way :P
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry! Your body doesn't start storing food as fat as soon as the clock says 8pm.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat right before I go to bed.

Me too. I get off work at 11, and when I get home, I'm freaking starving. I like to get to bed around 12 or 12:30, so yes I will eat right before bed.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry! Your body doesn't start storing food as fat as soon as the clock says 8pm.

this but just don`t take it a s free ticket to eat crap
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    That "rule" was created to help prevent people from snacking mindlessly late night. I waited tables for YEARS and ate dinner at 10,11, 12 or even 1 at night (bartender and cocktail waitress at a sports bar). Didn't matter at all what time I ate. Now I eat around 7-8 since I am up at 6am every morning and am usually STARVING by the time I finish with my workout around 6-6:30. honestly as long are you are within your calorie goal you'll be fine, so if you're hungry, then eat, simple
  • ThatDarnZach
    ThatDarnZach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered about this and tried to follow advice SOMEWHAT close to this (more on the "don't eat too soon before bed" train) but it's sometimes not possible. If I'm starving before bed, I need to eat something! I've never had a problem. I say just use your own judgment and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. It doesn't matter what time it is.
  • arnoswife
    arnoswife Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    your body has no clock, it can not tell time! Eat when you want mostly, however I normally will stop eating 2 hours prior to bed just for digestion and fear of heartburn!!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Well for one thing, your body won't go into starvation mode after 12 hours. Your body only starts hanging onto calories like that after prolonged lack of food- think weeks, or maybe even months for some people.

And your body doesn't magically turn into a fat producing machine as soon as you go to sleep. Sure, you're not burning a ton of calories, but there is some roll over. There's a reason distance runners carb load for several days before a big race- they need to start building up stores of food. Most distance runners rely on carbs, not fat to power their runs, so it's not like eating a big bowl of pasta the day before a race is going to make them fat. They'll still be able to access that energy. Make sense?

Eat whenever you want. I eat, sometimes right before bed, and I lost and am maintaining my weight just fine. If you are hungry, give your body what it needs.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The whole not eating after 8 thing is a load of bull. I go to sleep at midnight. If I don't eat after 8, I'm going to eat my damn pillow. :laugh:
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry! If it's after 8 so be it! As long as you're exercising, I don't see the big deal on eating whenever you please.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    unless you swallow a clock, your stomach has no idea what time it is....

...so just don't swallow a clock and you'll be fine...

(lol I almost left the "L" out of clock...that would have made for an awesome typo....)
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat all of your 1500 (or whatever your goal is) calories 10 minutes before you go to bed then do it. You won't magically gain weight in a deficit. Meal timing is completely irrelevant. Starvation mode is something most of us on MFP wouldn't encounter in 3 lifetimes. Maybe metabolic adaptation is what you mean. Research that term instead (it's not the scary monster people make it out to be).
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I saw this, but "they" said that the time you eat makes no difference, the whole calories in vs. calories out thing. Your body can't tell time.

However, "they" still recommended not eating too soon before bed, because if your body is digesting food while you sleep, it won't be a very restful sleep.