If you avoid wheat, well good news, you're not crazy.

Options
2»

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

The food is wheat. Yes, the ubiquitous grain we are urged to eat more and more of by the USDA (8-11 servings per day, according to the USDA food pyramid),

Not that I'm backing the USDA by any means or that I'm even saying wheat doesn't cause problems in some people (because obviously it does), but seriously, what food pyramid is this guy talking about? The food pyramid I see recommends *3 ounces* (which is far from "8-11 servings") of WHOLE GRAINS (not specifically wheat) per day. http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html

My point would be, if he stretches the truth so much on that little fact (lie), what else is he exaggerating?

He is not exaggerating anything................there are lots of people that support and tout this way of thinking.

Here is the food pyramid that I follow:

Picture3.png
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Carbohydrate intake is often the decisive factor in weight loss success and prevention of widespread health problems like Metabolic Syndrome, obesity and type 2 diabetes. These average daily intake levels assume that you are also getting sufficient protein and healthy fats, and are doing some amount of Primal exercise. The ranges in each zone account for individual metabolic differences.

0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through I.F. Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods.
    50-100 grams per day: Sweet Spot for Weight Loss. Steadily drop excess body fat by minimizing insulin production. Enables 1-2 pounds per week of fat loss with satisfying, minimally restrictive meals.

100-150 grams per day: Primal Maintenance zone. Once you’ve arrived at your goal or ideal body composition, you can maintain it quite easily here while enjoying abundant vegetables, fruits and other Primal foods.

150-300 grams a day: Insidious Weight Gain zone. Most health conscious eaters and unsuccessful dieters end up here, due to frequent intake of sugar and grain products (breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes – even whole grains). Despite trying to “do the right thing” (minimize fat, cut calories), people can still gain an average of 1.5 pounds of fat every year for decades.
    300+ grams a day: Danger Zone of average American diet. All but the most extreme exercisers will tend to produce excessive insulin and store excessive fat over the years at this intake level. Increases risk for obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and type 2 diabetes.

Picture2.png
  • RHarter0710
    Options
    To answer a question I don't think was answered earlier on... you can get gluten free items at a lot of grocery stores now, and there are health stores all over the place in larger cities. We have about 15 within 30 miles or so of us. I do a lot of gluten free items with my son, because of his autism the doctor recommended it. And i can certifiably state it has been a godsend. It keeps his diet really balanced. I started doing a bunch of gluten free products almost a year ago now, and I notice a big difference in how I feel and the insides don't hate me so much. I'm not allergic to anything and still love to have wheat bread, and stuff like that. I just notice that if every couple of days or so, i take the wheat out and gluten replaces it, I feel better...
  • SelkieGhost
    SelkieGhost Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I could give up wheat (but then, that's what I said about meat before I went vegetarian lol... though, have returned to seafood recently after several years strictly veggie)... But - I'm curious to experiment around a little. I might try doing a wheat free week or something... well, if I can get my grubby little paws on some rice flour, potato starch, and xanthum gum (to make a gluten free flour mix) - I'd definitely need to still be able to bake bread at home :-)

Main reasoning to experiment is I want to see what effect this would have on my eczema - I have a very mild case that acts up some fairly bad about once a year, though sometimes pops up for apparently no reason... but now I'm wondering if there might be a correlation between eczema active time, and what I happen to be eating at the time. It's been about a year since it's bugged me at all - and I've been fairly balanced on eating this year, unlike during some previous years. And I've relied a lot less on things like sandwiches for chow this past year... though have started those up again this last week... hmmm... yup - definitely going to see about scaring up the ingredients for a gluten-free flour mix so I can experiment around - might try to push it to two weeks, depending on how tolerant my husband feels like being towards it lol :-) Shouldn't be a problem though - after all, he put up with my "let's eat raw for a week" thing LOL... (a week is about all I could manage before snapping lol)
  • boadicea333
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have both Hashimotos and Rheumatoid Arthritis, and I feel like crap when I eat wheat, so I totally understand the relationship between auto immune and wheat. I've found that I only feel really good when I go on a low carb diet, with no wheat products at all. I'm happier, have less joint pain, greater energy, and feel more alert. Another thing to consider if you have a wheat issue is to take L-glutamine, which can help heal intestinal issues caused by wheat, and in general allow you to heal faster. Muscle builders use it to help develop muscle tissue faster, but it works on all tissue, not just muscle. And you get stronger tissue, because the basic building blocks are readily available, and the body doesn't have to hunt them down. Less scar tissue, too. I have two surgical scars, one where I didn't take L-glutamine and one where I did, and the difference is amazing.
    S
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    We as humand don't actually need fiber. That high fiber crap started being pounded into our brains back in the 50's or 60's..............and the goverment and medical establishments want to keep touting the low calorie, low fat, high fiber diet plans that are killing us and causing more and more issues.

If you don't eat fiber, you don't poop. If you don't poop, you die. YES, humans actually need fiber.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    We as humand don't actually need fiber. That high fiber crap started being pounded into our brains back in the 50's or 60's..............and the goverment and medical establishments want to keep touting the low calorie, low fat, high fiber diet plans that are killing us and causing more and more issues.

If you don't eat fiber, you don't poop. If you don't poop, you die. YES, humans actually need fiber.

LOL
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Alright. I still don't think I've ever seen one say eight -11 servings, though. 11 servings of grains, yeesh, I can't even imagine trying to eat that.

The food guide pyramid that many of us grew up with did recommend 6-11 servings of grains. http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/12/73412-004-8D081488.jpg

Crazy enough - there are a lot of diabetic diets STILL recommending 6-11 servings of grains per day.

I'm a wheat eater - though I've been considering doing a test myself because I've noticed that on days with less wheat - I feel better. I have a sister in law who has celiac - you absolutely would not believe the difference in her when she eats wheat vs. when she doesn't... she gains 3 sizes in clothes when she eats wheat and her personality COMPLETELY changes... we try to avoid situations where she might eat wheat! LOL.

Everyone has to do what they feel is best for them... I for one, appreciate the posting.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of gluten free items with my son, because of his autism the doctor recommended it. And i can certifiably state it has been a godsend. It keeps his diet really balanced.

do you do casien-free too? we tried being gluten-free for 3 months, but it didn't make a difference for my son. however, casien-free made a huge difference. my son is still not allow any cow's-milk product (his autism diagnosis was taken away after a lot of hard work) but we have eased up on the butter and crackers and what-not. good for you for finding a doctor that will recommend 'non-medical' options to try. we found a wonderful d.a.n. (defeat autism now) and he was such a blessing. good luck on your autism journey!
    dawn
  • July24Lioness
    Options

That is not true. I know many people on a 0 (YES ZERO) carb diet that all they consume is MEAT and WATER, TEA or COFFEE and they poop just fine and are healthier than most people.

We don't need fiber to live.

In any case, humans don't need fiber to be able to take a crap because we have a fully functioning digestive tract and could gloriously and healthfully survive on an 100% carnivorous diet

Also, look at the Inuits and the Eskimos.