Garden Vegetable Soup.....it needs flavor, ideas?!

Options
Alishamarie48879
Alishamarie48879 Posts: 92 Member
Hey all...I just made this Garden Vegetable Soup from Skinnykitchen.com. It is really great, but lacks flavor. Any ideas on what I can add (low or no cals preferred) to give it more flavor?? Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

8 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1/2 cup pearl barley
2 bay leaves
1 T reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 T dried thyme
2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 cup onion
1 cup carrots
1 cup zucchini
1 cup yellow squash
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup fresh corn or frozen corn
ground pepper to taste

It's 74 cals/cup, but it needs flavor..help!

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    homemade chicken stock with a rotisserie chicken from a deli.
    it's pretty great.
    also, add some chicken while you're at it.
  • toez79
    toez79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    More garlic, more pepper, different herbs and more of them. If you like spice, maybe you could add curry or chili powder or Cajun seasoning. Not sure what it tastes like currently, so it's hard to know which flavor of spice would go well with it.
  • Chelledl
    Chelledl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What were the cooking instructions? Did you cook the veggies and spices first or did you add them to the water and broth? Soup is always more flavorful if you develop the flavor of the vegetables and spices before adding the liquid. :o)
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i would omit the water and add more onion, garlic, and cumin. I would prob put in at least a tsp of cumin. It *needs* some celery. I would add 3 stalks of diced celery. Most soups esp vegetable soup contain celery and this may be the taste you are missing. You also need more salt for that much soup. One tablespoon of reduced sodium soy sauce isn't going to cut it. You don't have to, but I would also add a couple shots of hot sauce.
  • Alishamarie48879
    Alishamarie48879 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. It just has a veggie flavor, pretty bland. It had me add the liquids and spices and barley first..then cook for an hour. Then add all the veggies but the spinach and corn for 30 more min. Then add the spinach and corn, add pepper then it is done.
  • fmendoza71
    Options
    All these suggestions were good (keep in mind the next day is when most soups have the best flavor) but what you can do is add fresh chopped onion, cilantro (great flavor enhancer), and fresh squeezed lemon, that really adds pazzaz to your hot soup, veggie or chicken soup! Fresh or dried oregano also. Enjoy! Add directly to your bowl, once served.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would make pot liquor out of the left over vegetable parts (leaves, stems, roots) and use that instead of water. It won't help your current batch, but it might help next time.
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would add a lot of lemon juice and a little bit of Lawry's Seasoned Salt!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I generally add about 1/4 lb of hot italian sausage. When it's divided among all the servings, it's not many extra calories at all, and adds a TON of flavor.
  • pjkalk
    pjkalk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like to add Hot & spicy V-8 juice to my veg. soups.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Minced ginger About 1 tbs. It will work really well with the other spices you already have in there.
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    homemade chicken stock with a rotisserie chicken from a deli.
    it's pretty great.
    also, add some chicken while you're at it.

This. Adding chicken makes a lotta difference. If you're afraid of the extra calories, just use chicken breast meat instead. Yum!
  • karen8272
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a recipe similar to this, it has chicken broth. I also have used corn on the cob and removed the corn and used the cob as flavoring, as it also makes its own broth. Of course, don't forget to remove the cobb before eating! (My friend clued me into this, she is a chef.) I have also added cilantro and salsa to my soups.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I tend to let my soups sit overnight in the fridge, to me they always taste better then next day. this one may just need more of the same herbs you already put into it
  • Sweetpea3963
    Sweetpea3963 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Add a can of stewed tomatoes.:smile:
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind a little sodium, BetterThanBullion Vegetable stock base is amaaazinggly flavorful. :D
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I always use a little bit of low sodium v-8 juice! Works really well for soups actually! I put it with beef broth but veggie broth would work too, I am sure.
  • jky4kf
    jky4kf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce!
  • MostlyHealthyMomma
    MostlyHealthyMomma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Maybe some lemon pepper or rosemary? Or both!
  • 530gothic25
    Options
    Add a can of stewed tomatoes.:smile:

This. Tomatoes will brighten up that soup nicely. Add a can of stewed tomoatoes or even just a small can of tomato paste or sauce.