900 calories diet - can i go on for it for months ?

Options

Replies

• Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've been on a 650 cal a day diet for the last few weeks along with a light daily workout at the gym where I burn around 300 calories and have been losing 1-2 lbs a day so far on this plan. It's all about searching out low calorie foods that you like so that you can eat more of it. Make sure to take vitamins!!! Thats really important, otherwise your hair may start falling out. Some will warn you that its not healthy to eat like this, but being over weight isn't healthy either. People who have had weight loss surgeries eat like this all the time. This "semi-fast" is a good way to adjust your eating habbits as well because you get used to not eating alot or all the time. Good Luck!!

Your HAIR WILL FALL OUT??????!!!!! And that doesn't tell you something is wrong?
  • ksamml
    ksamml Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting write up on the the myths of starvation mode, read it yesterday and thought it might be relevant here.... It cites another few articles as well.

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.co.nz/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html
  • GreenEyedLady1
    Options
    for your height, weight and age you should be eating no less than 1800 calories day. what you are losing is probably a lot of water weight.

sorry, 900 cals a day is not healthily sustainable. eat better and eat more. you will lose weight.
  • SonoraflowerKim
    Options
    I hear your frustration!:explode:

I would strongly recommend that you consult a doctor first. Once you start working out on 900 calories...your body may decide that it is not happy with you and it may decide to start a "fat" reserve mode. The body is resilient and will fight at all cost to make sure that it is protected!

Working out requires that you eat more calories...your body needs to be fed in order to function correctly when you begin to lose weight while watching your calorie intake.

I had trained my body to survive on 1200 calories and I was doing seriously activity and working out sometimes 2 times a day and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't lose the last few pounds. Recently I found MFP and started using Fitbit, the two together help me understand the whole "food in, exercise in, and weight off" much better.

Think about what your goals are and how best to achieve them with results that you can live with and a plan that you can make a life changing habit of....good foods, eating right, and exercising!

I hope you find your answers and you begin a journey that will end in a positive area for you and your whole body!:flowerforyou:
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    To the OP, yea 900 cals is no problem. Until you hit a plateau in two weeks. Then you're going to assume you need to shave off more calories. So you go down to 800. Then that plateau comes back in, let's say, three weeks. Then you assume "Well , I need to shave off more." So you go down to 700.....and on and on and on. Then, one day, you die.
    Yep. That pretty much sums it up!
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Please consult a doctor. You should definitely not do it without medical supervision.

seriously!
  • yaremis1979
    Options
    900?! Please increase your intake and do more exercise and do not listen to anyone that actually supports you doing this.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I've been on a 650 cal a day diet for the last few weeks along with a light daily workout at the gym where I burn around 300 calories and have been losing 1-2 lbs a day so far on this plan. It's all about searching out low calorie foods that you like so that you can eat more of it. Make sure to take vitamins!!! Thats really important, otherwise your hair may start falling out. Some will warn you that its not healthy to eat like this, but being over weight isn't healthy either. People who have had weight loss surgeries eat like this all the time. This "semi-fast" is a good way to adjust your eating habbits as well because you get used to not eating alot or all the time. Good Luck!!

Good plan. :-/
  • HashtagTraci
    Options
    This is an interesting write up on the the myths of starvation mode, read it yesterday and thought it might be relevant here.... It cites another few articles as well.

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.co.nz/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html

great read! I couldn't agree more.. thanks for posting :)
  • Ash_ah_lee
    Ash_ah_lee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It will be ok if you were netting 900 calories..
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Im 5'2 and weight 142lbs I currently eat 400-900 calories a day [depending on my mood] I've been doing this for a month, and lately I've been starting to get lightheaded, although Im sure I've lost some weight due to doing this. I would also recommend if you were planning to do this, to buy iron supplements and other vitamins!

You are not eating enough!! At this rate, you will make yourself sick.

Wow....that sounds bad. 400-900? diet pills? Do you not like food or something? DANG. Lose all the weight you want, but the lightheadedness is bad. Your head is tryin to tell you something. Read this:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/510468-why-do-i-get-nauseated-lightheaded-if-i-dont-eat/
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You should start feeling like crap real soon.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Interesting data at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/diet-reverses-type-2-diabetes/ - 2 months on low calories. More fully described in http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/Lim.pdf 30 lbs loss in 8 weeks, 90% of which fat, 6 lbs regained 3 months after end of diet phase. Obviously done for a specific purpose - to achieve significant fat loss quickly - but worth a read.

The significant fat loss reversed type 2 diabetes.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    DUH, do you realize how much you are harming your body, long term damage that you will never get back. Your heart, lungs, brain, and every other body organ needs calories.... don't deprive your body, if you want to live a healthy life, EAT enough to sustain your bodily functions including your heart beating and breathing!
    Im 5'2 and weight 142lbs I currently eat 400-900 calories a day [depending on my mood] I've been doing this for a month, and lately I've been starting to get lightheaded, although Im sure I've lost some weight due to doing this. I would also recommend if you were planning to do this, to buy iron supplements and other vitamins!
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    simple answer: no.

your hair will start to look like crap, you'll feel like crap, you'll be meaner/slower/moodier. Eat more, exercise more. Don't starve yourself, it's stupid.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Don't eat at unhealthy, unsustainable levels. Eat healthy real food, and eat enough of it to fuel your body. Move more. Drink water. Make this a new healthy way of life, not a diet. You might lose a bit slower, but you'll be healthier, and feel great and look great.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    you feel okay

but you have no idea what you are doing to your body.

think about it
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    U crazy, not even girls that weigh 100 lbs eat that little, ur supposed to eat 1200 at the LEAST but since ur bigger u need to eat btwm 1900-1200 a day
    I weigh 269, eat btwn 1500-1900 a day and exercise 4-5 time a week. I lose 1-3 pounds a week this way. Dieting does help you lose weight but very slowly, you need to exercise if you want to lose weight faster.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options

You are not eating enough!! At this rate, you will make yourself sick.

To those saying Im not eating enough, When I was younger I used to only eat once a day, My whole life I've never had 'Natural hunger pains' I never feel hunger. I also take alot of vitamins to make up for the things Im not getting in my diet, yes I get dizzy sometimes but Its normally caused by other health issue's I have going on. Also I already struggle to force myself to eat 3 meals a day, just to get my calorie intake higher, So I do try 'listening' to my body, but apparently thats not healthy.....

You say this, but you still managed, at some point, to get up to 157lb. So presumably you had no problem not only eating to maintain your weight, but also no problem eating a prolonged excess in order to gain weight in the first place?