The myth of metabolism

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
So we all know people who are skinny but appear to eat all the time, right?

Except...have you ever spent a few days with them eating exactly what they do? Do they really eat as much as you think? And those overweight healthy eaters....again, I have spent some time trying to match exactly what my larger friends eat, and I can't. I can't eat that much.

Sorry, but I simply don't believe the different metabolisms myth. I haven't seen a scrap of actual evidence for it, besides people's own word for what they are eating, which is notoriously unreliable, and I have seen a lot of evidence to refute it. I do think people get full at vastly different caloric intakes, so a thin person might eat until she is stuffed, but actually not have eaten much, whereas a bigger person might feel she is always starving herself and yet can't lose weight. I believe that is where the difference lies, in our biological propensity to feel full or not.

Replies

• bradensmom14
    bradensmom14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I believe a persons metabolism plays a big part in how they lose weight or stay thin or big rather. However, I think exercise boosts metabolism too. If you exercise, not only do you burn calories, it gets your metabolism going. I say this from personal experience. I was once the skinny chic who could eat anything. However, I worked out alot and played alot of sports. Once that stopped of course I put the weight on. Over the last couple years I was dx'd with a GI disease and I get full VERY quickly. I'm lucky to get 800 cals in and most of that is in what I was drinking. I could only eat once a day and barely anything at one sitting. For example, I went from where I used to be able to eat a combo meal at mcdonalds, now I can't finish a small hamburger. Even with working out and never could lose the weight. I wanted to go in the Army a few years ago and worked my a** off with a recruiter and nothing. They were stumped. My best friend(the skinny one, I call her and she calls me the anorexic fat girl) can eat like a 400 grown man. She can eat an entire large pizza on her own and still be hungry and not gain a pound. I'm working on trying to get my metabolism going and its been VERY hard. My docs say my body is in starvation mode and storing everything, so I am trying to change that. I'm forcing myself to eat more times per day. Instead of not eating when I'm not hungry, I've had to force myself to eat. I get stuffed off an energy bar, like pukey stuffed. I am eating 3 small meals per day and am finally losing weight. It's coming off slow, but at least the scale has changed. Even eating the small meals, I'm still under my calories everyday that they say I should have. Docs put me on B12 shots and told me to take ginseng. Said it should help my metabolism. Hoping it works. But, we'll see. So, theres my story and I'm not one of those people that make excuses about why I can't lose weight. I've done everything right except apparently eat enough. So, theres my thoughts on metabolism lol
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about this one in relation to weight-loss, but I do think some people gain weight more easily and from a younger age. I don't know why that would be the case from an underlying scientific POV, but I think it's true. I think that some people just have a larger margin for error while others have to be literally perfect or they'll gain.

I was fat from birth, I really can't imagine that I was managing to take in so much more calories from breastfeeding than the next baby??
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting post from earlier today that includes an article that includes the topic of metabolism. It is pretty interesting reading.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/691435-very-interesting-research-on-weight-loss-rate
  • ghostrogue
    Options
    I believe that metobolism does to a point have an effect to a degree. Example I started this program an stuck to it like glue, logged every calorie intake and all excercise. never could loose more than a pound or two which would come back withing a few days. After serveral months of frustrated effort I went to the Dr. and had some test done. Turned out that I had Thyroid problems and my metabolic rate was almost non existent. Hypothyroidism I think it's called. He put me on prescription medication and I started loosing weight almost immediately. Eating the exact foods and doing the exact excercises I was doing before. It's been a month now since I started taking the medicine and I've lost 13.5 pounds. The thyroid gland secretes the hormone that controls your metabolic rate.
  • TheeFierceOne
    TheeFierceOne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe that metobolism does to a point have an effect to a degree. Example I started this program an stuck to it like glue, logged every calorie intake and all excercise. never could loose more than a pound or two which would come back withing a few days. After serveral months of frustrated effort I went to the Dr. and had some test done. Turned out that I had Thyroid problems and my metabolic rate was almost non existent. Hypothyroidism I think it's called. He put me on prescription medication and I started loosing weight almost immediately. Eating the exact foods and doing the exact excercises I was doing before. It's been a month now since I started taking the medicine and I've lost 13.5 pounds. The thyroid gland secretes the hormone that controls your metabolic rate.

Yep, metabolism is real!
  • Barry7879
    Barry7879 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think you are right - this from the BBC backs you up too. However, I guess it only applies to normal healthy people - thyroid problems are a game changer. If you think your resting metabolic rate is a real issue, go and get it measured at your local university - it only costs about $100 and takes 15 minutes of sitting back and breathing into a mask where you O2 uptake and CO2 production is analysed precisely - you can have your exact personal number - no more worrying if the actual figures are right. I had mine done through www.newleaffitness.com and my RMR is over 2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTr1JUvEiUU
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Metabolism would dictate how much energy you're using. And a lot of the time, people eat a certain amount for so long, that when it is lower, they are hungry, when they would not be if they ate less all the time. And if you don't eat much and then try to, it is very uncomfortable for a while, but you adjust.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

This was my problem exactly.... before I was diagnosed (and put on meds) my exhusband and I went on a diet...eating clean and I was exercising (he was not)...at the end of 2 weeks he lost 10 pounds and I gained 5!!!.. After being put on a high dose of Synthroid I quickly surpassed him in weight loss. To me this proves that metabolism plays a big role in weight loss.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Except...have you ever spent a few days with them eating exactly what they do? Do they really eat as much as you think? And those overweight healthy eaters....again, I have spent some time trying to match exactly what my larger friends eat, and I can't. I can't eat that much.

Sorry, but I simply don't believe the different metabolisms myth. I haven't seen a scrap of actual evidence for it, besides people's own word for what they are eating, which is notoriously unreliable, and I have seen a lot of evidence to refute it. I do think people get full at vastly different caloric intakes, so a thin person might eat until she is stuffed, but actually not have eaten much, whereas a bigger person might feel she is always starving herself and yet can't lose weight. I believe that is where the difference lies, in our biological propensity to feel full or not.

Well start believing it because until age 30 I was living proof of it. I consumed 1600 calories a day in drinks alone. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted and how much I wanted. I didn't sit on my butt all day every day but I didn't exercise and wasn't particularly active.

Is it common? Probably not but I've known a few others like me through the years. I imagine next to none are above age 30. At 30 your metabolism starts to slow (at least it does if you're not active).

You can believe its just a myth if you want to but I have 1st hand knowledge to tell me it is not.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Good topic....
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Metabolism definitely varies from person to person. There are many factors at play ranging from hormonal variances to LBM differences.
    2 people weighing exactly the same...one has a slightly higher level of T3 (thyroid hormone) will likely be thinner than the other all things kept equal. One with more Testosterone will likely have a larger muscle mass, and therefore higher metabolic activity. If I recall correctly, every pound of muscle burns approx. 50 kCals/ day additional calories.
  • BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Well start believing it because until age 30 I was living proof of it. I consumed 1600 calories a day in drinks alone. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted and how much I wanted. I didn't sit on my butt all day every day but I didn't exercise and wasn't particularly active.

Is it common? Probably not but I've known a few others like me through the years. I imagine next to none are above age 30. At 30 your metabolism starts to slow (at least it does if you're not active).

You can believe its just a myth if you want to but I have 1st hand knowledge to tell me it is not.

Ditto
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    good topic
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

Yes..yes I have. My boyfriend..130lbs at the same height as me. The reason i am here is because I WAS eating exactly the stuff he was. For about 3 years I have been eating everything he ate - actually less because he eats more then anyone I have ever seen and in 3 years he has gained - 0 - (he's lost actually) I on the other hand have managed quite handily to put on at least 20 more pounds from where I was when we met.

He has not stopped eating.. for a 'snack' a couple of days ago he ate an entire BOX of KD and then polished it off with a peanut butter, jam and honey sandwich (about 700 calories) and a huge glass of milk. He had already eaten Pork chops, pasta and broccoli for dinner, a huge bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, chili for lunch and god know what else I didn't see.

Metabolism is quite real..
  • kcpsu18
    kcpsu18 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I spent a summer with my cousin and ate everything that she ate, did every activity that she did. I gained 30lbs. She gained nothing. She is the same height and body frame as me.
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Same thing for me. Until I was about 25 I ate all the time, very unhealthy foods, and couldn't gain a pound. Then, age kicked in and I no longer had that issue.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11, 145, 10 pounds south of my goal weight. People consider me a Skinny Person. I eat ALL THE TIME. But I eat the right foods. If I go out with friends I guarantee I'll eat more than my "larger" friends, only because I'm not eating crap.

It's not the amount you eat, it's what you eat that matters.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    .. sorry double
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too. I've followed my boyfriend's naturally thin extended family around for days during Easter holidays. Yes, they do out-eat me. They never stop eating. Ever. And we're not talking celery and carrots. We're talking cheeses, desserts, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    It's not a myth. Hormones play a big role in them. So does age. This is why practically everyone here had a much higher metabolism when they were younger and slows down as you age. Also the amount of muscle and activity (sedentary vs active) will definitely have an effect of how metabolism rate runs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition