estimating calories when you don't know all the ingredients

Options
klewlis
klewlis Posts: 79 Member
one of my coworkers made vegetarian chili. I looked it up in the database and there are lots of vegetarian chili entries, but their calorie range is so extreme! depending on which one you look at, there are anywhere from 80 to 300+ calories in one cup of home made vegetarian chili (!). I'm not sure how to choose one... this chili seems pretty basic, mostly vegetables and no meat substitutes or cheese or anything, so I'm guessing I am safe with a low estimate...?

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem--but it happens with what I eat when away from home or when someone else makes the food.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I always estimate higher rather than lower when guessing on such things, that way you're safe just in case it really is higher. But I wouldn't worry about it. It's one bowl of chilli.
  • happythermia
    Options
    I usually choose the one that's in the middle!
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I usually choose the one that's in the middle!

this is what I do too
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    ok I'll pick something in the middle. :/

three days per week I am eating communal food, so this might become an ongoing issue.
  • ddesc036
    ddesc036 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you know if she uses a recipe that's available online? Or, since you have an idea of the ingredients, could you do a search on say Allrecipes.com and see if something close is there. Doesn't that site have a nutrition value part? Maybe I'm wrong?