Replies

• bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Pretty equal around here.
  • Teagc
    Teagc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Road cycling? Yeah it's mostly a male sport. I've noticed the cycling team on my campus is about 30 males and about 5 females. For recreational cyclists the number is a bit better, but where I live it's still around 2:1 male to female.

I've even heard a buddy of mine who's a collegiate cyclist comment on how the women's cycling races are a total joke.

Meh, do what you like. You want to ride? Ride!
    Then again, I'm a female engineer, so it's not really new to me.
  • keina629
    keina629 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wooooo female cyclists!!! My friend and I do consider us a rare breed - but all the more better reason to show the roads what we got! Such an efficient way of getting around and seeing so much! Keep at it!!! :)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options

I've even heard a buddy of mine who's a collegiate cyclist comment on how the women's cycling races are a total joke.

He obviously wasn't watching the Olympic race on Sunday morning. Those women are my heros.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I definitely see more single men (not necessarily single as in relationship, individual males) who cycle. Most of the women I see who ride are with a mate. But most of the women I see either walk or run. Makes me proud to be riding my bike.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I'm a mountain biker :) This is only my 3rd year doing it, but I love it! The group I bike with has 3 other women, but the other groups we pass are usually just guys.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    In my college town, everyone bikes.
  • NeatMan
    NeatMan Posts: 62
    Options
    Not really, in my cycling club there is couple female cyclists. You're not alone.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Lots of female cyclists in London, particularly saince the introduction of the Boris Bike hire scheme, though I can understand why commuters tend to be men (have you tried cycling in a pencil skirt?! Just as well I had cycle shorts in my bag yesterday!) in most places. The out-of-town thing could be a safety issue - I'm not sure I'd be keen cycling on my own out of town.
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    I hit the canal paths 3 or so times a week and 95% of other cyclists I encounter are men. Disappointed!
  • ovege
    ovege Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Female cyclist here. I think it is 60/40 favoring men around here but the women I see leading mixed rides are awesome.
  • Stinkeymonkey
    Stinkeymonkey Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I ride about 400 miles a month. I see lots of female riders in the Louisville area.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Here in CO, it is 50/50! So they are out there!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Another female cyclist here.
    I see about 50/50 split here, but then ALL the students cycle here, and lots of commuters too.

Rheres even lots of families (parents with those buggy things on he back)
    But then its probably 'cos its so flat here.
    (cambs, uk)
  • Aritiger
    Aritiger Posts: 14
    Options
    Love to ride here in Sonoma County! Just dont like to do it alone. :ohwell: And there are a few women who ride but, yes, more men.