Any good (cheap) gyms in NYC?

Options
rgrange
rgrange Posts: 236 Member
I'm moving to Midtown Manhattan in 2 weeks for grad school, and I've been hearing that the school's gym is subpar. I like to lift weights (particularly squatting and deadlifting) so I'm a little scared that there won't be the right equipment. Is there anyone in NYC that can share any gyms that have decent equipment and are relatively (~$50/month) cheap?

Replies

• NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    • I work in Manhattan and live in Brooklyn. Visit the Y's in that area and see what kind of equipment they have. They all have student membership, the one I work for (14th Street and 1st Avenue) has a student membership which is less than $50.00

• By the way are you going to Fordham? If you are that is right near Central Park and you can always run around the Reservoir.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Gold's Gym has several locations in NYC.

Membership is just about $50 per month and they cater to weightlifters (just look at their logo!). They have a huge amount of weightlifting equipment.

http://www.goldsgymnyc.com/
  • rgrange
    Options
    • I work in Manhattan and live in Brooklyn. Visit the Y's in that area and see what kind of equipment they have. They all have student membership, the one I work for (14th Street and 1st Avenue) has a student membership which is less than $50.00

• By the way are you going to Fordham? If you are that is right near Central Park and you can always run around the Reservoir.

Yeah, I'm going to Fordham. I'll be living a block away from Central Park, so I was planning on doing my cardio there, I just want to be sure that I can keep up with lifting for a reasonable price.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    NYC has put in some adult play grounds with "Play" equipment that is used for strength. I'm not sure where they are in Manhattan or even if they are there, but I'm going to look around.

Good luck and study hard and be sure not to get caught up in the street life of NYC. Also see if Fordham has a reciprocity agreement with other schools, NYU, Columbia, etc in the use of their recreational facilities.

I'm going to friend you so that I can keep in touch. Maybe I'll pm you and treat you to lunch. I worked for 16 years at a college, Marymount Manhattan College on the upper east side, so I have a soft spot for struggling students. :happy:
  • rgrange
    Options
    Haha, I might just take you up on that!