All in or all out mentality..anyone else with this problem?

Options
I have been like this all my life..it either all in or all out..this includes weight loss.
When I'm in..we are good to go..losing 50+ pounds etc..
When I'm out..I'm out and not paying any mind..
Does anyone else suffer from this?
Thanks,
Maggie

Replies

• frhenderson
    frhenderson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I definitely experience this in the form of not being able to stick with healthy eating if i'm not exercising and vice versa.
  • kay930
    kay930 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...I either have a great day or if I feel like I screwed up by eating too much I just keep eating and it just gets worse.
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...I either have a great day or if I feel like I screwed up by eating too much I just keep eating and it just gets worse.

Totally. Me too.
  • MyJourneyto100
    Options
    yup! Me too! I've done it all my life too. For example, Thanksgiving of 2010 I was at my heaviest ever. Decided I was gonna lose weight and stuck with it until June, 2011. Dropped 60 lbs. Then I was all out - and I have regained 50 of the 60 lbs. I lost and now I have no clothes that fit. So, now I'm trying to get back in focus. I'm tired of all the ups and downs. Every time I lose I swear I will keep it off, and every time I gain it back. Sometimes I wonder why I bother, except I just keep hoping that one of these times something will click for me and help me keep it off.
  • dlbinin
    dlbinin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yep! Me too! Trying to get back to it.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Another sufferer here. It's just how I am in life in general...sometimes it's fantastic, others not so much. I'm trying to get better and even trying to put everything into losing the weight this time.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Yeah. If I mess up one meal I'm just like "screw it" and eat poorly the rest of the day.

it's okay to have some bad days.
  • mamo1014
    mamo1014 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This is so me! I'm getting too old to keep doing this. I start out so good and so motivated and then I fizzle..I'm fizzled right now but tomorrow is a new day and I'll try to do better.
  • Kalliejc
    Kalliejc Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm more of a "glimpses of greatness" kind of gal. And that's no fun either. I feel like I'm good at a lot of things......great at none. Or at least not for very long.
  • noiinteam
    noiinteam Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    nope.. i'm one foot in and one foot out..... not good either
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    <raising hand>
    Totally blew it last week~ off for seven days and gained eight pounds!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    You're not alone!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Yes but my all in lasts a long time, usualy 30 pounds lost, feeling great, take some time off gain it all back and wonder what happened. Not this time. I've paid for the full year membership.
    (figuratively)
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same way. I try to change my mind set b/c if I have a bad breakfast, I'll just eat bad the rest of the day b/c why not? I already ate too much. I gotta change that....
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i'm the same way. i find at least for the fitness thing that i keep reminding myself that this isnt a diet or a plan, its just a new life i'm living and i cannot return to my previous life. it helps a lot even though i have to constantly remind myself in order to stay pumped lol
  • KellyR72
    KellyR72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is me! I have gained and lost weight more times than I care to count. Not sure I know how to maintain, which scares me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm always like this. i dont half step anything that's important to me. there's nothing wrong with it in terms of weight loss.

maybe where you're going wrong is being "all in" to the wrong thing and focusing on some aspect that doesnt mean much?

for instance WHY do you want to lose 50 pounds? surely it's more than just seeing a lower number on the scale?

i'm 00% committed to be healthy, getting fit, and getting back to the best body i know i can get. at the moment that corresponds to me losing another 40 - 50 pounds. i'm not focused on the weight loss, i'm focused on the health and fitness and a better lifestyle. that's totally different than focusing on a diet just to lose x amount of pounds
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yep. Add me to the growing list. I just told some friends the other day I am actually apprehensive as my goal weight approaches. Maintenance is a totally scary ballgame for me, and I am hoping that the changes I have made this time will stick. I believe what I have done so far is sustainable, but I've not been good at maintenance in the past, since about 8th grade it's been a yo-yo. One thing I hope to do once I hit goal is to start getting rid of the "fat clothes"...which will be tough since some of them are comfy favorites. I figure if I don't have anything to wiggle into when the new clothes get tight, I will have to deal with it. I hope I am right!!
  • gingersnapx00
    Options
    When I give in to something i feel like i screwed up for the day, so i keep going and hope the next day is better. However, its so hard to give up things that make up part of who you are and good at. I've been told many times i one of the worlds best bakers and I enjoy it so much. Not eating it almost seems sinful and cruel. It s also a stress reliever:) I have a hard time not tasting stuff. I generally eat well, its the sweets that get me. I could not live without chocolate. I have to go into a project telling myself i'm not going to lick one spoon and assign someone to be my taste/quality control. This takes all the fun out of it most of the time. Without being obsessive I cant push through the temptation. I yo yo in weight and the older i get the harder it gets. I cant even look at cake. Its pathetic i rely on this relationship with food to feel half way sane. I want to have my cake and eat it to. Its seems to be a mental issue. I yo yo in confidence too. I wish this would get easier. I have the tools...im missing the strength to keep going on the do right path. I like to be bad.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Yes, I used to be like this....and it was great for some things
    However, I have learned that....that mindset can keep you from moving forward on a goal when things are more complicated.

For example, I have a houseful of children, constant care and demand. How can I throw myself all into weightloss?
    No, I can't but I can move forward on small ways here and there, always making improvement.

If I had the all in/out mindset I would give up.

So I don't do it perfectly, but I keep moving forward, adjusting, doing the best I can.

This has also helped me to be a better teacher to my children.. little here, a little there, and they continue to learn.