People with poor grammar need not apply

Options
_binary_jester_
_binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
http://www.lifehacker.com/5930680/i-wont-hire-people-who-use-poor-grammar-heres-why

I realize there is a difference between casual posting and business presentation. I also know some people think grammar isn't important at all, or worse, used as a tool to make people feel poorly about themselves.
But this once again shows the importance of knowing the fundamentals.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Proper grammar is sexy.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    You should "loose" your attitude about more better grammer. ;)
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    You should "loose" your attitude about more better grammer. ;)
    Quoted for irony.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I remember I remarked on someones grammar on another forum and they told me they were shot in the head serving in Iraq. Just think before you judge.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love this quote:

"Good grammar is credibility, especially on the internet. In blog posts, on Facebook statuses, in e-mails, and on company websites, your words are all you have. They are a projection of you in your physical absence. And, for better or worse, people judge you if you can't tell the difference between their, there, and they're."
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I love grammar and my posts here do not show the extent of my love.

I desire all people in the world to have a good grasp of their language so they are able to communicate completely what they are trying to say. Grammar is a huge part of communication.
  • jayb33z
    jayb33z Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    http://www.lifehacker.com/5930680/i-wont-hire-people-who-use-poor-grammar-heres-why

I realize there is a difference between casual posting and business presentation. I also know some people think grammar isn't important at all, or worse, used as a tool to make people feel poorly about themselves.

supposably that's true but irregardless I agree
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    grammer....that's a fave.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Some people write so poorly, I often wonder if they read their writing before they hit the REPLY button.

Sometimes I have to read a post 5 and 6 times trying to figure out what a person wrote.
  • rompers16
    Options
    I love grammar too. My mother and grandmother were sticklers for following the rules.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    I remember I remarked on someones grammar on another forum and they told me they were shot in the head serving in Iraq. Just think before you judge.
    Did you actually read the article or just make assumptions?
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options

You crack me up!!!!! Lol... :tongue:
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options

It's not nice to talk like that, even in binary code.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Grammar nazi's are annoying, most times i'm just too lazy to correct my typos.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Good subject. But it doesn't sound like you are judging people. You are just stating the facts - PEOPLE WITH BAD GRAMMAR NEED NOT APPLY. I do get pissed when I see people using then for than, your for you're. I've wondered what happened, because I have never noticed it so much. Oh, I know why. Because everyone uses computers now, and things are moving so fast in the world, that it doesn't make a difference any more. Even professional posts from companies and businesses make those then than there they're errors.
  • rompers16
    Options
    Loving grammar and being a nazi about it are two different things. I would never correct someone other than my children.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

Love the link! I had to share that on Facebook with a fellow stickler.
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    and....what really bothers me these day is the number of typos in books. Are there no longer proof readers at publishing companies?
    It's not just in bad books but even in books by well known authors. I just read a Salman Rushdie book with a misspelled word and Janet Evanovich books contain so many errors it's hard to get through them. Of course, self published books seem to be the worse and you have to wonder why no one corrects them. You pay a lot of money for a book - it should be without errors. Don't get me started about the mistakes in newspapers or the poor grammar of television journalists!
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen (and especially gentlemen), may I please bring your attention to a strip in the fabulous comic, "Girls With Slingshots", for another REALLY good reason to use good grammar and spelling? Lol!!

http://www.girlswithslingshots.com/comic/gws-849/