25% Body Fat... Seriously?!

I just got on my scale and read 24.9% BF. I weigh 124 lbs. That means that a quarter of my body is FAT! That's when I googled for help and found this website. So I joined!

I was a sprinter in high school and played volleyball. When I got to college, I stopped working out so hard to focus on studies, and now I am 25, married, and skinny-fat.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all on a workout routine I can do daily to build muscle? I have a gym membership and 8 lb weights are good right now.

I eat... normal. Not incredibly healthy but not unhealthy.

Any advice? Thanks! I am excited to use this website/app to see myself improve!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    lift heavy weights at the gym.

look into programs like new rules of lifting for women (a book) , stronglifts 5*5 (a free program online) and starting strength (a book and there's a free program online) as they focus on compound moves rather than those stupid bicep curls and tricep extensions i see way too many women fiddling :laugh:

deadlifts, squats, bench presses, bb rows, pull ups, turkish get ups, over head presses, olympic lifts, etc are your exercise friends :smile:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    I'm glad meahashesha was the first to answer. That woman speaks the truth.

Run again if you love it, but learn the basic compound lifts and love them, too. They are amazing for helping shift and change body composition.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    I think you maybe need to research some normal body fat % for women - because you're on the lower end of the "normal" range?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    I think you maybe need to research some normal body fat % for women - because you're on the lower end of the "normal" range?

I think 18 to 22% is the athletic body fat range, which I assume is what she is used to, being a runner / sprinter in school. My first thought is that she wanted to be very fit looking instead of normal, but that is a good point to remember as well.