Pressure Cooker is my friend

Options
Since joining MFP five weeks ago I've found that I love cooking again. I love planning out meals and getting delicious foods at the store that I look forward to making later on. I'd lost that over the years of just buying easy stuff that could be thrown together. The one item that I've embraced again with both arms is my pressure cooker.

You can make a fat free vegetable soup by simply bringing the veggies up to pressure and letting 'em go for 7 minutes.

My two favorites are asparagus and butternut squash soups.

Just cut 'em up. Add water and a bit of veggie or chicken stock. Set it up, turn on the heat and wait for the pressure. Asparagus can be done in 5 and squash in 7. When I'm done I use the immersion blender and add a bit of lemon, salt and white pepper to the asparagus . For the squash I may add a little salt, pepper and heat with red pepper flakes. I love my pressure cooker. After you figure out how it works it's not scary and it allows you to cook meals that have lots of flavor without the fat - Not just soups but meats and stews. I would highly recommend one to anyone that loves to cook. OK, my love letter is done.

Replies

• cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my pressure cooker also! Couldn't do without it! Everything cooks so quickly and has so much more flavor.
  • jenlatimer
    jenlatimer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I am afraid of my pressure cooker. It's a canner too but I've only used it to can some pickles and didnt use the pressure lid. I just got it. What can I make with this thing?
  • beery929
    Options
    http://www.fagoramerica.com/my_fagor/recipe_library/pressure_cooker

This is the recipe book that came with my pressure cooker. It gave me a basic understanding of what could be done and in what amount of time and then it was really easy to make adjustments as I found what I liked and what I didn't. You can make soups, chili, meats cook very quickly. You can make meat that falls apart (like you've been cooking for hours) and shreds easily for sandwiches in a very little amount of time. I haven't made it since my dietary changes but the pressure cooker takes all of the stirring out of making risotto.

I started with a basic soup and once I conquered my fear of the noise I just started experimenting.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I love my Pressure cooker and my slow cooker. Both do a similar job just one ultra fast and one ultra slow. Handy having both.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I don't even use the slooooooooow cooker anymore.
    It's great for keping food warm, and that's about it.

Recently I started using dry beans, and will never
    go back to canned.

I looked at that web site above, and they must be using
    a 10 psi pressure cooker. Black beans only take 10 minutes
    if presoaked. (not 25)
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've just started enjoying beans at all and I refuse to purchase canned beans. This means I've been making them all myself on the stovetop - so I've had my eye on a pressure cooker myself!

Can anyone recommend specific models that are working well for them? If I get a pressure cooker that is suitable for canning, I can presumably use that to cook food in too, right?
  • ki4yxo
    Options
    I've just started enjoying beans at all and I refuse to purchase canned beans. This means I've been making them all myself on the stovetop - so I've had my eye on a pressure cooker myself!

Can anyone recommend specific models that are working well for them? If I get a pressure cooker that is suitable for canning, I can presumably use that to cook food in too, right?

I like the older Mirro models that cook at 15 psi. Many of
    the newer types only go up to 10 psi.

Depending on the beans, (lets take black beans) they take
    10 minutes once presoaked. You can also bring them up
    to pressure for 2 minutes, then remove them from the heat
    for an hour. Something like black eyed peas, or lentils don't
    need to be presoaked/cooked. They only take 10 minutes
    right out of the bag. (pick through, and rinsed)

I use an 8 quart and often find myself wanting something
    bigger especially with meals like corned beef and cabbage,
    or stews.

This is the one I use. Found it on ebay for around $20!

DSC_9141.jpg

DSC_9142.jpg

DSC_9146.jpg

DSC_9147.jpg
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i love my pressure cooker too!

Meat is done so fast and so tender...

i make my Indian dal and curries in it...so quick !
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am seriously so excited for the day that I own a pressure cooker. It's a problem.
  • ki4yxo
    Options

i make my Indian dal and curries in it...so quick !

Do you have a recipe for this? :tongue:
    I've heard of it before, but have never
    tried making it.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thank you ki4yxo - you have me sold with all of those photos!

So you put all that in the pot and then how long was it until you had that delicious looking meal? My husband and I both work full time and I could see something like this being really useful when we get home from work and try to get dinner on the table.
  • ki4yxo
    Options
    Thank you ki4yxo - you have me sold with all of those photos!

So you put all that in the pot and then how long was it until you had that delicious looking meal? My husband and I both work full time and I could see something like this being really useful when we get home from work and try to get dinner on the table.

It's really easy!
    Here's a little prep work while the meat is cooking.

Baby red potatoes (washed)
    Carrots - Peel, cut in to thirds.
    Onion cut in half, then quarter
    White Button Mushrooms (Kept whole, washed)
    Corn - Peel off husk, snap in half

Cook stew meat at 15 psi for 30 minutes in 2 cups of water, or red wine. (season how you like)
    Add all other ingredients, bring up to 15psi and cook for 5 minutes.
    Let rest for 3-4 minutes. Run cold water over the cooker, to release
    pressure.
  • ki4yxo
    Options
    Here's my recipe. I try to keep the sodium down.

BeefStewGood.png
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I used my pressure cooker for the first time today. I can't believe I waited so long! I will use it a lot now.
  • ki4yxo
    Options
    If you like fresh beets, the pressure cooker rocks!
    I used to hate beets, (only ever had them out of a can)
    and now I love them!

They take 20-30 minutes in the pressure cooker. (depending on size)
    Once they're done, the skin peels right off. Cut the ends off,
    cube them up, then add some balsamic vinegar, a little
    coarse salt, and some fresh cracked pepper. (Amazing)
    I eat them cold, and they last a long time in the fridge!