always over on FATS..

Options
I'm doing really good with my calories mostly because I do tons of cardio and earn more. But it seems like everything I eat has FAT in it and I'm always going over when logging my food. Do you not earn more FATS through exercise, like you do with CALORIES? And always taking suggestions for food (preferably snacks) with little or no fats. Appreciate any help.

285139.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I'm doing really good with my calories mostly because I do tons of cardio and earn more. But it seems like everything I eat has FAT in it and I'm always going over when logging my food. Do you not earn more FATS through exercise, like you do with CALORIES? And always taking suggestions for food (preferably snacks) with little or no fats. Appreciate any help.

285139.png
    I do exactly the same!! So I will be interested in what others say!! Best wishes to you!!
  • leshawnturner
    Options
    I think when you do exercise and earn more calories you earn more calories, carbs, proteins, and fats but not a whole lot of fats I'm sure...I am also looking for suggestions for foods (snacks) with lower fats but that keep you full until the next meal...
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's proportional. If you earn an additional 10% onto your regular calories you get 10% more protein, 10% more carbs and 10% more fat.

Wow - I never get close on fats. What are you eating? :smile:
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack is a 100 calorie mini popcorn pack. It's 98% fat free, tastes really good, filling and there's a whole lot for not too many calories.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    MFP is pretty low on their fat estimates anyway. I think it's set at like 16% or 18% or something. Can anyone confirm? I changed my goals a looooooong time ago and don't really want to reconfigure just to check, but anyone who hasn't customized their goals can do so and read the percentage, it won't change your plan.

You can monkey around with those percentages. Your fats can easily be in the 20s and not cause a problem, especially if you are doing a lot of cardio work, the body will use this fat relatively quickly if you do cardio more than 3 times a week.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm often over on carbs or on protein, but it's rare that I'm over on fats. What are you eating? I always try and choose lean meats, nothing fried, lots of fresh and healthy stuff.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Stef- make your diary public so we can see what you're eating. :smile:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,750 Member
    Options
    MFP is pretty low on their fat estimates anyway. I think it's set at like 16% or 18% or something. Can anyone confirm? I changed my goals a looooooong time ago and don't really want to reconfigure just to check, but anyone who hasn't customized their goals can do so and read the percentage, it won't change your plan.

You can monkey around with those percentages. Your fats can easily be in the 20s and not cause a problem, especially if you are doing a lot of cardio work, the body will use this fat relatively quickly if you do cardio more than 3 times a week.
    MFP actually gives you 30% for fat as well as 55% for carbs and 15% for protein (that's the one that's low, in my opinion). I change mine to 50/25/25 and usually am a little under for fat and carbs and a little over for protein, but not much under/over in any category.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, I was thinking protein. I never use the diary any more, haven't for quite some time, I know what is in food now (after 2 years doing this, it's just second nature). So I always forget what MFP sets. One of these days I should go back and look again. 30% is ok I guess, I keep min at 22% but 30 won't kill ya as long as about 27% is good fats. 15% protein is too low if you are doing any kind of exercise though IMHO.
  • Stefanie102684
    Options
    Well my chart has my FAT GOAL @ 40/day. My creamer in my coffee (i have to have) is 14. My SLimfast shake for lunch is 6...so that alone is half of my daily intake i'm allowed.

285139.png
  • Stefanie102684
    Options
    Jesse... you really want to know what I'm eating? lol. oooook.

285139.png
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Girl you must be starving, you hardly eat anything!
  • Stefanie102684
    Options
    ....actually.. yeah.. i am starving. lol. But I though I eat more than the average person. Hmmmm.. :ohwell:

285139.png
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ok, first, are you really using a 1/2 cup of cream for your coffee or are you using a portion of cream (2 tbsp)? There would be a huge difference there. Second, you had butter and corn muffins for lunch so I would suggest starting to think about nutritionally denser foods, like nuts and fruits. And you took in a bacon cheeseburger today too and that alone could do it.

This comment is just based off of today but you could be making much better food choices than corn muffins and cheeseburgers and soooo much cream in your coffee. You are probably feeling hungry because your food is not substantial enough to hold you over. And coffee is NOT breakfast.

Try having an apple with your coffee or a serving of oatmeal and then for lunches try eating real foods and start skipping the fast foods, they do absolutely nothing for you. I am not a fan of frozen meals but it helps people make the transistion sometimes and maybe you need a bridge between what you are eating and what you should be eating. You are young enough that making the right choices now will keep you healthy for life :love:

There is a website that I used when I started out and I was having a hard time figuring out what to eat,
    50millionpounds.com, or google 50 million pound challenge. There is an option there to create a menu (for a whole month) and you can print your menu, snack list and GROCERY list. I made a few tweaks each week due to dislikes of certain foods and swapped for foods similar in value. I found this to be helpful and I'm sure you would too! :wink:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want me to be honest, you're on the wrong track. You didn't have breakfast today, you had two muffins for lunch, and fast food for dinner! No wonder you're starving. You're eating all your calories, sure, but you're eating junk. Yesterday you had peanut butter cups for breakfast. It's great that you're logging even bad things you eat, but you have to eat something healthy once in a while!
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    If you're eating good wholesome fats, that's one thing. Aim for 30% fat intake and get that from good sources - nuts, avocadoes, EVOO, real butter or dairy, some from meat (esp. Omega 3 rich fatty fish like salmon).

I don't think I can stress boosting Omega 3 fats enough. They're very critical to nutrition.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I don't mind what you eat - peole prob die when they see my journal :tongue: I was just suggesting making it public so they could help! :smile: I barely log any of my food anymore because I pretty much know what I'm consuming - and I've made the "this instead of that" change so I don't feel the need to log it all - but, in the begining I logged every drop of food & realize how crappy I was eating! :sick: You'll get there - and hey, if my AFTER pics look as good as your BEFORE pics I'll be stoked :bigsmile:

oh yeah - I loooooove the pic of Chloe in your ticker! :smile: I wanna squeeze her little cheeks. :tongue:
  • Stefanie102684
    Options
    ok.. most of you are looking at ONE day...and I work out ALOT, so a cheeseburger the size of my thumb OCCASIONALLY is fine. I usually eat ALOT more when getting fast food.. so that was actually a change for me. And the rest of my family wanted WENDY's, so I ate there also. Though they're supportive, no one else wants to lose weight. I wasn't at home and I couldn't make a seperate meal for myself.

Also.. the 1/2 a cup of half & half is for the WHOLE day. I drink at least 6 cups of coffee throughout the day. Sometimes I use Coffeemate, but I PREFER 1/2&1/2 mostly.

If I do eat anything in the morning I have to make myself eat. I'm the type of person who is NOT hungry in the Morning. I usually don't get hungry until around Noon, if not later. And the Reese's cup I logged in my breakfast was at 3:30am when I woke up in the middle of the night and wanted chocolate.

You know, I appreciate those of you trying to help, but obviously making my journal PUBLIC wasn't such a good idea. I wanted advice & encouragment NOT criticism. Thanks to SOME. XoXo
    285139.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    ok.. most of you are looking at ONE day...and I work out ALOT, so a cheeseburger the size of my thumb OCCASIONALLY is fine. I usually eat ALOT more when getting fast food.. so that was actually a change for me. And the rest of my family wanted WENDY's, so I ate there also. Though they're supportive, no one else wants to lose weight. I wasn't at home and I couldn't make a seperate meal for myself.

Also.. the 1/2 a cup of half & half is for the WHOLE day. I drink at least 6 cups of coffee throughout the day. Sometimes I use Coffeemate, but I PREFER 1/2&1/2 mostly.

If I do eat anything in the morning I have to make myself eat. I'm the type of person who is NOT hungry in the Morning. I usually don't get hungry until around Noon, if not later. And the Reese's cup I logged in my breakfast was at 3:30am when I woke up in the middle of the night and wanted chocolate.

You know, I appreciate those of you trying to help, but obviously making my journal PUBLIC wasn't such a good idea. I wanted advice & encouragment NOT criticism. Thanks to SOME. XoXo
    285139.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Your question was why are you always over on your fats?

I would take an honest look at my diary and ask myself if I are making wise choices. Your body needs nutrients and fats.............but good fats. Like nuts, olive oil...........having 40 grams of nuts and evoo is not the same as saturated butter and cream fat, that is a fact.

Health is the number one driver for me..............and I wish I had changed my choices when I was your age, instead of getting the health issues that plague me now due to bad choices 25 yrs ago.

As for breakfast, I never ate breakfast either. I started by buying those 3 oz liquid yogurt shots and drank one quick within 1/2 hr of wakign up. I lost 2 pounds that week without changing anything else.

Your body is like a fire. If you dont stoke it 1st thing, the fire dies out. The fire is your metabolism. When you eat, you wake it up and you burn more all day.

As for food choices, I would say that better choices make for big changes. I love my coffee and it was worth it to lose weight to change to 2% milk and 3 tsp of fake creamer. It cut the cals in 1/2 and took almost all the fat out.

I hope you find a good balance for you.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

:wink: And that is why mine if private (altho I will share the code with you if requested!!):flowerforyou: