How to best tone arms! Please Help!

Options
I desperately need some tips/advice on how to best tone my arms. I'm 19 and recently lost about 50 pounds in a short period of time (January 2012 - today). During my weight-loss journey I made the mistake of not incorporating enough protein/strength training into my regime. I was just wondering if somebody could give me some basic pointers as to where I should start if I want to tone up my arms. I'll be purchasing dumbbells (10lbs each) this weekend! Will 10lbs be enough to see results? Thank-you!

Replies

• masumaj
    masumaj Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hi

im 18, almost 19 (october) and i had really big arms, about 13 inches in measuring. ive recently toned them to about 11.5 inches and im still working. what helped me tone my arms and loose about 8 inches was jillian michaels 30 day shred program. if you want a full body workout i would really recommend that. but if its just arms i would say some bicep curls, fly's kickboxing with weights. by the way i started out with 3 lbs weights and moved up to 5 pounds and its still quite alot for me. so i would say dont go so hard on yourself at first but take it easy. in my opinion 10lbs dumbells is alot to cary.

Good luck and i hope this helped a little bit
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    Hey

I have done all of the Jillian Michaels dvd's and they didn't do anything for me personally. Of all the Jillian Michaels I prefer the Kettlebell workout. I have seen great results with The Butt Bible. It has a lower body and upper body workouts done on different days. You can do it for free using youtube.com

I have also seen improvements doing Gunner Petersons Core Secrets as well as hoop dancing with an adult hoop.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I desperately need some tips/advice on how to best tone my arms. I'm 19 and recently lost about 50 pounds in a short period of time (January 2012 - today). During my weight-loss journey I made the mistake of not incorporating enough protein/strength training into my regime. I was just wondering if somebody could give me some basic pointers as to where I should start if I want to tone up my arms. I'll be purchasing dumbbells (10lbs each) this weekend! Will 10lbs be enough to see results? Thank-you!

For starters, but you'll want heavier.

You want to do pushing (triceps) and pulling (biceps) exercises. Because if you think the arms got wimpy, then guaranteed the bigger major muscles did to.

But fortunately for you, you use your triceps and biceps for every major muscle group on upper body, when you work those out.
    Bent over rows - pulling.
    Chest press - pushing.
    Lat pulldowns - pulling.
    Shoulder press - pushing.
    Upright rows - pulling.
    Tricep extension - pushing.
    Bicep curls - pulling.

Notice you use your arms to workout the bigger major muscles first, then whatever strength they have left over, you focus on them.

After you spend a couple weeks doing those and getting form down on light weight, move to heavy enough that 3 x 8 is difficult enough to finish with good form.