From 168lbs to 139lbs (pics) w/ hypothyroidism

Options
I've posted a few success stories the last few months, but thought I'd share again as I am at my lightest I have been in the last 4 years. It's been a long struggle. I developed hypothyroidism in 2009 and gained 40+ lbs. I am far from over, but I am extremely proud of my accomplishment so far. Once upon a time I used to be about 125lbs. 3 kids, development of hypothyroidism and almost a decade later, I shot up to my most heaviest at 167.9lbs.

Finally found a doctor who put me on the right treatment plan and I've dropped about 29lbs in the last 10 months. Now I am working towards my ultimate goal of 125-128lbs and 17-18% body fat. Started at 167.9lbs 34% body fat and now down to 139.8lbs and 26% body fat.

Oh and a side note: I am 5'0" tall. I've had 3 kids and I am 31 yrs old.

See pics below. After seeing these pics side by side, I have found new motivation to push harder and get to my ultimate goal. I'm giving myself a realistic time frame to hit my goal. and that's the end of this year. I'm sure I can do it.

Thanks for letting me share my success story.

385456_10150422278799090_355906481_n.jpg
this was me when I was 21 yrs old and at about 120-125lbs.

photo4.jpg
Left Side: 167.9lbs Right Side: 139.8lbs

photo3.jpg
Left: 155lbs Middle: 144lbs Right: 139lbs

Replies

• jeet1966
    jeet1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Your story could be mine. I am also 5' tall, have three kids and had an overactive thryoid (that's the same as hypothyrodism, right?) I was 95 lbs when I got married in 1990 and was 163lbs when I joined MFP six weeks ago so my journey is just beginning. I am 46 and this is the first weight loss plan that is actually worked for me. ( Go figure eating right, working out regularly, calorie deficit, not exactly rocket science but so many of us have to try other things before following common sense. I am curious about finding the right doctor for your condition. I am on synthroid and have been for about 12 yrs. My doctor always says its the right medication for me but I wonder when I read about other treatments on the internet. Please feel free to add me as a friend and send me a message.

You look great and I aspire to be where you sometime within the next year.

Congrats!
  • jlm_getfit
    jlm_getfit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Your story could be mine. I am also 5' tall, have three kids and had an overactive thryoid (that's the same as hypothyrodism, right?) I was 95 lbs when I got married in 1990 and was 163lbs when I joined MFP six weeks ago so my journey is just beginning. I am 46 and this is the first weight loss plan that is actually worked for me. ( Go figure eating right, working out regularly, calorie deficit, not exactly rocket science but so many of us have to try other things before following common sense. I am curious about finding the right doctor for your condition. I am on synthroid and have been for about 12 yrs. My doctor always says its the right medication for me but I wonder when I read about other treatments on the internet. Please feel free to add me as a friend and send me a message.

You look great and I aspire to be where you sometime within the next year.

Congrats!

Hypothyroidism is UNDER active thyroid, usually causes people to gain weight. That is why you are on synthroid, to replace the hormone level. You both have the same thing. (I'm a nurse...)
  • Maudy16
    Maudy16 Posts: 36
    Options
    big congrats you are looking amazing. One of my friends also has under active thyroid but has not yet been put on the right treatment plan as it is early stages and she is struggling to lose weight and keep motivated.

Thanks for sharing :wink:
  • Moxylein
    Moxylein Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks for that post! It's really inspiring to see that you can reach your goals even if you have hypothyroidism! I was diagnosed Hashimoto in early 2012 and am really struggeling to lose all that extra weight.
    Great job!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    wow!!! Such great progress! Look at you, you're beautiful! :o)
  • jroseonline
    jroseonline Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for the support! :)
  • Lynne1279
    Lynne1279 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism sucks. I am 50 pounds overweight and it is absolutely impossible to shed an ounce. I am 56 years old and I go to the gym 5-6 days a week for two hours. I don't leave until I have burned 1000 calories. I lift weights, do cardio and stay fairly busy throughout the day walking me two big dogs and even riding the stationary bike at my house. Please don't tell me muscle weighs more than fat so I must be putting on muscle. Muscle does weigh more but the difference is miniscule. I need help. I take synthroid, cytomel and don't know what else to do. I've tried a high protein diet, but one doctor, who is hypothyroid himself, said that this diet is not good for anyone with this condition. I usually eat about 1400 calories. Glad to hear about your success, but I never get any. Frustrated beyond belief.
  • mrssyp
    mrssyp Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Lynne, I understand your frustration since I do not loose weight. I have a trainer 2 days a week and visit the gym 5 days per week. In 2009 my thyroid was removed because of cancer. I was up 50 lbs before the surgery but my thyroid disease was not detected until after the surgery. Drs would not listen to me something was wrong and I did not research enough to know something was wrong with my thyroid. I started on a 1200 calorie diet on 7/31 and going to give this a try. After 2 years with a trainer and the gym I have not lost any inches and only 5lbs. Frustrating when I see the progress of the people I train with.
  • aedlife
    aedlife Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I was diagnosed in 1999 with hypothyroidism. Then in 2003 was diagnosed with Hashimotos. Congrats on your weight loss. I have been dieting all my life. I feel everyone's frustration. I too have tried everything. My average weight loss a year I between 2-4 pounds a year. My doctor is always encouraging that the pounds are going down. I began using this site in February. Through the winter I have struggled. At the end of June, I got very serious. I have been reading articles, logging my food and exercising daily. Since my doc appointment in June have lost 7 pounds, about a pound a week. Some of this is also due tomand increase in my meds. I wish there was a magic diet for this disease. I have read to cut out gluten, and any product with aspartame. I am now trying to eat all natural and organic, time consuming and expensive. I haven't given up the gluten, yet, but real close. There was a recent article posted about a bay watch tv star being diagnosed and what she has done to get and keep the weight off. ...anyone familiar with her story?
  • galaxiasmama
    Options
    Just wondering because I came across this and I am hypothyroid too....I found out like last year and I and I had gained about 10 lbs but I attribute that to eating habits and not the disease so I had started eating healthier a couple weeks ago and I don't have a scale but i noticed I felt slimmer and looked slimmer. So my question is, does having this condition make it inevitable to at some point gain a lot of weight? I'm pretty ok with my body right now, I just need to replace the fat I have with muscle and I think I will be at my target level...but I'm scared that in the future I will have weight problems because of hypothyroidism and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to never have to go through the issues with gaining and being unable to lose weight with this disease (on medication of course).

and OP, awesome job (:
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    AlotOfSweatAndPain Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Solid work!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Just wondering because I came across this and I am hypothyroid too....I found out like last year and I and I had gained about 10 lbs but I attribute that to eating habits and not the disease so I had started eating healthier a couple weeks ago and I don't have a scale but i noticed I felt slimmer and looked slimmer. So my question is, does having this condition make it inevitable to at some point gain a lot of weight? I'm pretty ok with my body right now, I just need to replace the fat I have with muscle and I think I will be at my target level...but I'm scared that in the future I will have weight problems because of hypothyroidism and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to never have to go through the issues with gaining and being unable to lose weight with this disease (on medication of course).

and OP, awesome job (:

The unfortunate thing about ANY issue with thyroid (since even OVERactive can cause weight gain), is that thyroid controls your metabolism. You may experience struggles with it later. You may eat completely healthy, exercise regularly, and find you are either not losing weight or even gaining weight. Many thyroid people have to adjust their lifestyles to something very different from a regular Joe. Like the famous "Less than 1200 calories is starvation" doesn't even hold complete truth to people with thyroid issues (specifically hypothyroidism).

I had my thyroid removed when I was 13 because of a variety of reasons, mostly being they thought I had cancer--I didn't, but it was the "safe" bet to do apparently. Ten years later, I've been through every range of issues (including "hyper" symptoms because my endo overmedicated me).

OP, what medication/dosage are you on?
  • fitX38
    fitX38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome accomplishment! I also have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism within the last 5 years and my doctor has been experimenting with dosage of levothyroxine...we started low and continued to raise the dosage until it got to 70mcg and my hair started falling out in clumps so we took it back down to 50mcg...I still have hair loss and struggle to lose weight. Would you mind sharing what plan your doctor has you on? I'd love any suggestions as I am seeing a new doctor this month. Congratulations on getting your hypothyroidism under control and on the weightloss!!!
  • phatnotfat81
    Options
    good job!!!
  • fitX38
    fitX38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @galaxiasmama

a lot of people will say that you will gain weight because of hypothyroidism but I have a co-worker who is in her 50's and she is skinny as a rail ? It must be different for each person...the majority will gain weight but I think it depends on the individual...personally I can pinpoint exactly when my thyroid went haywire...my arms started getting fat first (which was abnormal) I normally had thin arms and it seemed they just started to swell...after that I continued to gain 60lbs :(
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!!
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 10 years ago and have gradually gained weight. My doc says that if the med dose is right, there shouldn't be any weight gain. The med is replacing what my thryoid is supposed to do. I just know that it's really hard to lose weight. I've also been reading about a possible connection between thyroid disease and celiac disease. My mum is currently undergoing tests to determine if she has celiac disease, which means I should get tested too. Anyone have any info on this?

I've made some lifestyle changes recently and the weight is starting to move in the right direction, but so slowly.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Congrats on a job well done. I have hypothyroidism, and it's a slow process losing the weight, but slow is better than stalled, or worse--gaining weight.
  • vespers4u
    Options
    Hi. What if you do not eat the recommended amount of calories? would you lose more weight or would I be putting myself into starvation mode?
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Your goals are very similar to mine gives me alot of motivation to keep on pushing towards my goals
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!