Exercises for someone with hypermobile hip joints

Options
I'm looking at workouts on Youtube and all of these would make my physical therapist cringe. I need some tips for strength training and cardio exercises that don't impact the hips too much. I have hypermobility in my hips and have to be really careful to keep my hip bones aligned, so I can't do things like lunges, but I can do things like jumping rope where my legs stay parallel. I have a list of exercises prescribed by my PT, but they're all mainly core- and knee-strengthening exercises. I need more cardio and more toning exercises for thighs and abs. Any ideas?

She also has me walking backward for 15 minutes every day. Any ideas how to do that and not look like a nutjob? lol

My insurance isn't covering any more visits to the PT, so I can't ask her personally.

Replies

• NattyPeat
    Options
    Hi. I am also Hypermobile and have it in most of my joints! I'm not sure why she has you walking backwards as I have seen physio's for years and non have ever told me to do that.

I recommend Pilates for core strengthening and spin biking for cardio.

I am a yoga teacher ( not highly recommended for hypermobile people ) but I just make sure I do not over extend or lock my knees etc etc.

You could also try ball and core exercises and you are still working the core feels like more of a workout :)

With regards to skipping, this is a high impact exercise so I would suggest avoiding it as its too much shock on the joints! All low impact stuff is the best for this condition.

But overall every physio I have been to has said PILATES!! You can do this at home, or in classes and is great for the abs, overall toning and you will get sweaty. And I am a spin biking ran, low impact, and burn lots and lots of calories in a short space of time. Great for getting the cardio work out in and giving the legs and bum a good work out too.

Hope this has helped x