Which FOOD changes are you MOST proud of?

Options

Replies

• honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Definitely eating a variety of fruits and vegetables every day. I used to eat vegetables only once or twice a week, and then it'd be like 5 baby carrots at dinner. Now I have a big heaping salad most days with tons of veggies. And have one to two fruits a day usually as well.

Also, portion control. I was the one who used to just eat chips out of the bag or just keep going back to the cookies and hadn't realized how many I ate.

Really, just eating a healthy and balanced diet including all of my food groups.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions

Less sugar!

Less carbs

More fruit and veggies

I no longer waste calories on drinks, like sodas or sweet tea, you can waste a lot and intake a lot of sugar through drinks but they dont keep you full at all.
  • lostwisdom
    lostwisdom Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've cut down my excessive drinking from 2/3 times a week to once every 1-2 months
    I actually eat salad now! Usually at least once a day
    Takeaway is now a rare treat, and I opt for the "healthiest" option aha
    Cut out a lot of my fizzy drinks - and in turn drink a lot more water
    Swapped 90% of white bread for wholemeal
    And the biggest victory for me.. Have cut out chocolate & sugary sweets altogether!
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Great topic. One of the most significant improvements I've made is realizing that under eating to reach my weight goal doesn't work. Being hungry DOESN'T make me a diet saint. Under eating DOES make me a grumpy, food obsessed head case.

+1
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am most proud that I still ate what I wanted and didn't really deprive myself of any of the good stuff. Just used portion control. Should add that I still use portion control.
  • Buksh12
    Buksh12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    All of mine! :D since started on this site (admittedly only 2 weeks ago) im drinking water... not more water my previous intake was next to nothing.. im drinking around 7-8 cups of water a day. i dont eat chocolate or drink sugary coke as they are pointless calories when it could be food..nom nom nom!

I actualyl eat fruit and veg now where my intake used to be zero again.. and i dont eat at bedtime if im at my cal limit i go to sleep hungry..which i dont mind anymore. if im not at my cal limit a small fruit salad. :D

Oh and no drinking in the week at all. my diet is a million times better than it was :D
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've only been on the healthy train for a couple of months so I still have some ways to go. I do still eat chocolate but nowhere near as much as I used to. I've really cut back on it. I very rarely drink fizzy driinks, just ocassionally when I want something different. The main difference is I don't eat takeaways anymore! I used to have sooo many and I had one last night in a moment of weakness and I paid for it today. I won't be gross but....it was gross! I had to promise my poor body that I would never do that to it again. Lesson learned. Everything else is coming along nicely :wink:
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My mouth watering over things like this. (Lunch today.) Instead of a mayonnaise coated turkey sub or quarter pounder w/ cheese. I do still eat chocolate almost every day, I WILL NOT give up my dark chocolate. :love:

:happy:

meals.jpg
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I quit my afternoon Starbucks Frappuccino's and added more fruits and veggies to my 'diet'.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Water!!!! :) I use to drink dr. pepper or coke zero all day everyday and no water! On days where I was outside a lot I drank gatorade I HATED water! Now I drink 1 monster energy drink in the morning (this is my coffee) and the rest of the day it's water (10+ cups!). My fiance and I tend to buy a case of coke zero at the store and then have soda at work during the day. Even with my fiance still drinking the sodas I drink my water... Every few days I might drink half a can of coke zero...
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Cooking more often and including my family in clean healthy eating - not just cooking it for myself. Some may say DUH - that's a no brainer, but it's easy to say "I'm going to eat healthier and make better food choices for myself" and then turn around and neglect the dietary needs of our loved ones. It shouldn't be contingent on whether they have weight or medical problems. This time around, my healthy lifestyle includes everyone, not just me - AND MY FAMILY LOVES IT! :o)

I still have a weakness for potato chips and cherry pepsi though and would by them at work just about everyday. Well, it's been about 2 weeks since I bought some chips and soda at work - but sometimes I buy them from the grocery store. smh. I'm trying though, and have really cut back.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I force myself to eat my three regular meals a day. No skipping even if I don't really 'feel' like eating.
    I watch my calories/carbs/fibers/odium like a HAWK now. I read labels and make informed(and not by the media) decisions.
    I never eat fast food anymore (going on 5 months now).
    Track every bite of food that goes into my mouth.
    No more soda(well ok, hardly ever). Just water and tea.
    Portioning.
    Way more 'real' foods like fruits and veggies.
    No more white flour pasta (/sob)
    Limiting Salt intake
    No more sugar (/biggersob)
  • gryphalkon
    Options
    - I am learning to cook and be adventurous regarding food.
    - Portion control. I always ate healthish but always twice as much as I should have
    - Hand in hand with portion control was cutting back on pasta and breads - which I ate waaay to much of.
    - Reducing my lemonade and milk intake - as well as general diary. (the cheese was stubborn though)

- Still trying on working on reducing my salt intake but that is an ongoing process
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    A LOT less eating out.
    A LOT more portion control.
    Indulgences are just that.
    I cook like a friggin' monster.
    I drink a crapton of water.
    More natural, whole foods, cooked at home where I control the salt and oil content.

My tummy loves me for it!
  • hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Portion control and eating regularly through the day instead of consuming 5000 calories (or more) in one sitting! also making healthier choices when I'm on business trips.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to find pride in the fact that I am recovering from my eating disorder, though I'm still in the beginning stages. I got out of treatment not too long ago, but I really want a happy, healthy, wholesome life. I have had my ED for more than half my life (started at around age 9) and I'm fighting to create a better life for myself.

With that said, it's hard to get all my calories in and I know I definitely should be taking in more, but so long as I don't go under 1200 (which does happen, but I'm working on it). My behaviors switched from bulimia to anorexia and I've been knocking on Death's door numerous times; I don't want to be so miserable, empty, and hopeless as I have been in the past.

I'm working on getting in three meals a day with 1-2 snacks. I need to get in more vegetables, but I'm proud that I've only skipped 1 meal in the past 4 weeks. : ) I am a pescetarian, so no meat! When I was knee deep in my bulimia, I would binge and purge the most disgusting, processed foods, but with the anorexia, I wouldn't even take in water after overexercising and went days w/o eating.

So here, I'll say it: I am proud of the progress I have made. :bigsmile:

You should be proud of your progress. You've really done an awesome job so far. Recovering from an ED is so hard but you're really self aware about your issues and you're not hiding anything from yourself. Keep going the way you're going!
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Eat 3-4 fruits and veggies EVERY day when ever possible.
    Have not had a Coke or DP since last year.
    Quit using ranch dressing as a referred condiment for everything.
    Cut out fried food foor the most part.
    Drink an abundance of water every day.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Recognizing that I'm full, and then not eating anymore. Before i would finish it because it tasted so good. A couple nights ago i was eating some So Delicious cookies n cream coconut milk ice cream, my usual 1/2 cup serving for 140 calories. I ate two thirds of it, and realized that i felt full and satisfied, and kind of didnt want it anymore. Before, i wouldve ate it anyway, cos it was 'mine'- i was allowed half a cup, so i was damn well gonna EAT. A half a cup. This time though, i said to the fiance 'hey babe, you want the rest of my ice cream'? I swear he gave me a weird look-i dont think that sentence has ever come out of my mouth :p. he finished it for me though.

Ive had a messed up relationship with food for so long.... I always wished i could be one of those people who just eats when theyre hungry, stops when theyre full, and doesnt have a weight problem. I'm starting to see changes towards that goal in myself, and that makes me happy :)

Oh, and its nice i dont eat three egg mcmuffins a day and two pints of Ben n Jerrys a day anymore. I was out of control.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I eat more "real food" like fruits and veggies, whole wheat grains, and organic almond butter. I also pay better attention to portion sizes and I don't eat when I'm not hungry!
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    - Haven't had a regular soda (I have given myself a few diet here and there) since March 23rd 2012! I used to drink AT LEAST 2 large McDonald's cokes a day (310 calories each/ 86 g sugar EACH)

- I can say NO and not think "oh this won't hurt to have a few" to chips, cakes, donuts etc. Sure they are delicious, but FAT LASTS LONGER THAN FLAVOR.

- I can go out to a restauant with friends and family and choose HEALTHY options versus a nice big juicy hamburger with fries.

- I limit my alcohol intake to MY birthday and CLOSE friends birthdays only.

- Portion sizes!