Midmorning cravings

Options
I'm writing this post for my husband.....

He's complaining about getting midmorning cravings where he feels like he could eat a whole meal. So, what does he do...heads to the vending machine and buys junk. I've tried to give him some suggestions, but I thought I'd ask all of you for some help too.

He doesn't eat much for breakfast....today he had coffee, cereal bar and a banana. What should he do differently for breakfast? What healthy snacks can he eat around 10-10:30 to tide him over until lunch?

Thanks for the suggestions,
Darci

Replies

• Twinmom413
    Twinmom413 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm writing this post for my husband.....

He's complaining about getting midmorning cravings where he feels like he could eat a whole meal. So, what does he do...heads to the vending machine and buys junk. I've tried to give him some suggestions, but I thought I'd ask all of you for some help too.

He doesn't eat much for breakfast....today he had coffee, cereal bar and a banana. What should he do differently for breakfast? What healthy snacks can he eat around 10-10:30 to tide him over until lunch?

Thanks for the suggestions,
    Darci
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars are great! You get lots of fiber (helps keep you full longer) and they are not skimpy at all! They are about 150-160 calories but I have one everyday around 10 with a banana as my midmorning snack (I'm usually starving around this time) and it tides me over until lunch. I haven't found anything else that works as well. (I used to have the same problem!!) So...maybe he could give it a try. Hopefully this helps! Good luck!

*Kistinbee*
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Make sure that you eat more protein than carbs for your first meal. It will not only supress your appetite your body will burn fat 33% faster than normal for 6 hours.

When you eat more carbs than protein or no protein at all for your first mealof the day your body will store fat for 12 hours anduse up that sugar in about 2 hours. That is why he is starving mid-morning.

You can have fat in the mornings from eggs or a lean breakfast meat like canadian bacon. Fat eaten at breakfast is used up throught the day as energy if youare exercising regular.

A great breakfast is a slice of whole grain bread laoded with 2 servings of canadian bacon with some fat free cheese toasted. Tell him to save the bannana for a mid moring snack
  • markfloyd
    Options
    Stop eating like a Bird and eat Breakfast. It's a very important meal. Have two eggs with a slice whole grain bread, a bowl of Plain Oatmeal sweetened with Honey or Stevia and replace that Coffee with hot Tea. For a mid morning meal Oatmeal with fruit is a good choice.

Bottom line, eat your bigger portions earlier in the day and start decreasing throughout the day. Try to break your meals into about 6-7 small meals throughout the day. The goal should be to never be hungry without overeating. Lots of raw veggies throughout the day are good.

I enjoy a good smoothie anytime of the day. My favorite is 6 oz Pure All Natural Apple Juice, a cup of plain yogurt, a cup of raw fresh berries, 1 Banana. Throw it in a blender for a minute or so and it is delicious. This works well as a meal replacement, especially if you throw in a scoop of Whey Protein.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    RKJR925 thanks for the info, I've been eating mostly carbs for breakfast. I don't do that much research, I've been eating cereal for the most part. Where did you get the info so I can read more about it?
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I need to eat every 2-3 hrs
    If he doesn't feel like eating a huge b-fast..have him take a fiberone or kashi board for a mid-morning snack

Kim
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    I went through a program witha bariatric doctor in Charlotte, NC when I lived there. I was in his program for 4 months and relocated for work so i did not make it tothe maintenance portion of the program.

The doctor made you sit through a 2 hour lecture and go through a physcal if you wanted to be a patientof his.

Unfortunately he keeps his text proprietary so you cannot findit without becoming a patient.

his website is http://letsgetthin.com/ and you can read about his program
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I make mini turkey burgers for my husband to snack on. They are maybe 2 oz with some mustard and veggies on toasted rye sprout bread. It works great for him.
  • Twinmom413
    Twinmom413 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm copying your suggestions and sending them to him at work. I (we) appreciate your advice!!:happy:
  • babyhippo
    Options
    I also get a10:00-10:30 craving each day. I usually drink a cup of water first. Then, if I am still hungry, I'll eat 1/2 a banana.
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Tell him to eat something with fiber in it. I have a whole wheat bagel with spray butter and a cup of coffee...I'm not a small person either. 6 feet and weight 238 lbs. It fills me up until lunch. I ate that combo at 5am and then ate lunch by 11am. And it's actually healthy to eat every couple of hours. Tell him to pack snacks and take them to work....for those between meal munchies...I pack 3oz servings of fresh veggies or fruits of my desire.

Best wishes! :flowerforyou: