HELP! killer sweet tooth!

Options
Ok, I am in desperate need of any suggestions to curb my after dinner sweet tooth. Hubs and I used to ALWAYS go out for ice cream. I have recently decided that it is SO unhealthy (and not cheap either!).

That being said, I am looking for dessert ideas that I can whip up after dinners to make me feel like Ive satisfied my cravings!

Replies

• gemmalianne84
    Options
    I'm the same, I ALWAYS need something sweet after dinner. I used to have some chocolate or similar, but recently I've switched to fruit and it seems to do the job. Strawberries and grapes are sweet enough for me to satisfy my sweet tooth, or sometimes I have a muller light yogurt. I've cut down on sweets dramatically now :)
  • skinnyminni1985
    Options
    sugar free strawberry jelly does the trick for me! :)
  • tmoroney
    tmoroney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    frozen grapes.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Ditto the frozen grapes. That is one of my favorite treats!

Do you have a soft serve frozen yogurt shop where you live? I like that for a treat occasionally, and I usually add fruit as a topping.

I have heard mixing a frozen banana in a blender with peanut butter or a little cocoa powder (and maybe some sweetener) makes a great substitute for ice cream. I have yet to try it, but I put overripe bananas in my freezer for this purpose!
  • JonieB
    JonieB Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I really like sliced strawberries with real whipped cream.
  • ccmandel
    ccmandel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes have saved me!

Sugar free Popsicles
  • Mincas
    Mincas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you must, keep some 100 calorie chocolate bars on hand...I have them in my lunch bag at work, so when the craving strikes, I am able to avoid the canteen and it's full-calorie offerings! Or, if ice-cream is your go-to dessert, popsicles are a great low-cal option!
  • LeslieSJR
    Options
    Ouch! My sweet tooth hits me hard! I have changed to healthier sweets, but still sugary! I am really starting to wonder if my sweet snacking is sabotaging me energy and result wise, even when I stay in my calorie goal. I sometimes tend to start eating more packaged stuff (Fiber 1 Brownies, Luna Bars, etc.) because they are easier to log than homemade/fresh stuff. I think next week I am going to limit myself on that and try fruit just to see if I feel better.
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Strawberries with homemade whipped cream
    A few little bits of dark chocolate (I like the Ghiradelli squares, Sea Salt & Almond)
    A mug of herbal tea with honey or stevia (awesome in the winter)
  • LeslieSJR
    Options
    Ditto the frozen grapes. That is one of my favorite treats!

Do you have a soft serve frozen yogurt shop where you live? I like that for a treat occasionally, and I usually add fruit as a topping.

I have heard mixing a frozen banana in a blender with peanut butter or a little cocoa powder (and maybe some sweetener) makes a great substitute for ice cream. I have yet to try it, but I put overripe bananas in my freezer for this purpose!

I make that banana soft serve all the time! I use bananas and unsweetened almond milk in my food processor. Depending on my mood I add in vanilla extract, cacao nibs, berries, etc. It is really satisfying and reasonably low cal :) If you want to get really decacadent, mix some melted coconut oil with cocoa/cacao powder and a bit of agave nectar till it's thick, then pour over the cold banana mixture. Homemade Magic Shell!
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When I want somthing sweet and cold like ice cream I make a smoothie with fresh or frozen berries (somtimes strawberrys somtimes mixed) a couple Ice cubes, 2% milk (well got dh to stop drink whole but thats as low as he will go) and some raw sugar or stevia to sweeten. Blend and its like haveing a milkshake minus alot of calories :)
  • jtheiss
    jtheiss Posts: 14
    Options
    There are plenty of low calorie ice cream treats you can get at the grocery store to keep in your freezer. Klondike makes a few 100 calorie items, Weight Watcheres has a ton of different items, Skinny Cow is another brand. If you like ice cream after dinner, then have ice cream, but make it a lower calorie treat that you can eat at home.
  • stopdropandlose
    stopdropandlose Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you mean. I have a baking business and it's so difficult to not just eat everything.

Somethings I like:

1. Frozen Grapes
    2. Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt Carb Control (Vanilla) with fruit - This stuff is so good! Put whatever fruit you want in it.
    3. Crepes - whole wheat crepes with fruit, whipped cream (if you want it), some dark chocolate. Yum!

I would also reccommend going on pinterest for ideas. This board has some good ones:
    http://pinterest.com/vinividivici/healthier-sweets-treats-and-other-eats/