I am losing inches but not pounds

Options
I am on 1300 a week, which based on my BMR/TDEE means I should be losing about .5 pounds week. Instead, I have been stuck for about 1.5 month now, without any movement.

At the same time, I work out pretty regularly (4x week, running/strength, etc)

I am losing inches off my waist and building muscle, visible changes.

Is the 1300 calorie deficit going towards inches lost instead of weight gain? In other words, can I count inches lost as a result of my diet (or is it just the exercise that is doing that?)

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You're losing inches and getting healthier.

If you're gaining that initial muscle you may not be losing weight yet. But you should as your muscle mass stabilizes and you get into more of a calorie deficit.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Inches lost means fat lost/getting smaller/wearing smaller clothes/etc. Sounds like you're on the right path unless your goal is just to hit a number on the scale (over looking skinny).
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'd be extremely happy to be losing inches. Weight is just a number but how your body looks and feels is what matters most.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Same here. Ive lost 5 pounds in 9 weeks. Im at about 1630 calories and sometimes eat exercise calories back. If im hungry i eat them if not I dont.. I do cardio and weight training. With one day off a week. My scale isn't moving but Im learning not to care about that. Im losing inches, look tigher and more fit. Clothes fit really well. (no longer pulling my shirts out my back fat) and overall I feel great...

Sometimes we have to take what our bodies are giving us. Inches lost vs numbers on a scale. Keep up the good work
  • chix99
    chix99 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I agree that I love the way my clothes are fitting now and I'm going down in size. It's a real motivator, more than the weight lost itself :)