last 10lbs- Cardio Vs Strength training?

Options
I've heard when you only have the last 10-15lbs to lose that you should focus more on strength training than cardio. Why is that? and how much strength training? I don't use a gym....

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Strength training. During my cut I did heavy lifting 4 x week and cardio onxe. Cardio can lead to loss of muscle as it takes fuel away from repairinf muscels. Cardi is only beneficial for fat loss if you need to eat more ( cant stick to lower caloric intake)

Sorry for all the spelling errors, using phone and keep hitting wrong keys
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Strength training. During my cut I did heavy lifting 4 x week and cardio onxe. Cardio can lead to loss of muscle as it takes fuel away from repairinf muscels. Cardi is only beneficial for fat loss if you need to eat more ( cant stick to lower caloric intake)

I "know" that I should be focusing on weightlifting since I only have 10 vanity pounds to lose. My problem is that I LOVE running. I think if I cut down on running it would have a detrimental affect on my mental health. It's a catch 22 for me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    It's NEVER too early to incorporate strength training. I was already pretty much at goal when I started heavy lifting. Prior to that, I only did light strength training with 5 pound dumbbells and body weight. But I can't BELIEVE how much my body changed and improved with heavy lifting.

At first, I did it at the gym 2-3 times a week, but I've since purchased an inexpensive bench and barbell set and do it at home 3x a week. I still do cardio (running mostly, some hiking) 3-4 times a week because I enjoy it and especially enjoy being able to eat like a hungry man. :laugh:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Because when you build lean muscle you are burning body fat. And after you strength train, your muscles are working to repair themselves from your workout, which means you are burning more calories at rest than you are after a cardio workout. If you look at my before and after pics, I'm the same weight in both pics and look how much smaller I am in after pics. And I did it at home...I'm sending a message now.
  • HollyAus
    HollyAus Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    WoW!!!! Robyn!! Seriously??? you are the same weight?? Umm can you copy and paste that message and send it to me lol. I'm about 8 pounds from my goal weight and I've been doing just body weight stuff. I have a gym membership, but I don't know what to do lol. I want to be toned and have muscle definition. I don't have to be ripped lol although it would be nice :)
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Because when you build lean muscle you are burning body fat. And after you strength train, your muscles are working to repair themselves from your workout, which means you are burning more calories at rest than you are after a cardio workout. If you look at my before and after pics, I'm the same weight in both pics and look how much smaller I am in after pics. And I did it at home...I'm sending a message now.

Your pics said your doing Chalean extreme? Is that strength training? How much do you lift?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Wow!...your my new inspiration! I was struggling trying to lose those last few pounds and decided a couple of weeks ago to ditch the bathroom scale and to switch to maintenance with an emphasis on strength training/bodyweight exercises and upping my protein. I'm already seeing results but your before and afters really got me motivated!! Nice job!
  • TXHunny84
    Options

I "know" that I should be focusing on weightlifting since I only have 10 vanity pounds to lose. My problem is that I LOVE running. I think if I cut down on running it would have a detrimental affect on my mental health. It's a catch 22 for me.

Me too it's vanity pounds! LOL but I'm also 24%BF and I'd like to be less.
  • TXHunny84
    Options
    It's NEVER too early to incorporate strength training. I was already pretty much at goal when I started heavy lifting. Prior to that, I only did light strength training with 5 pound dumbbells and body weight. But I can't BELIEVE how much my body changed and improved with heavy lifting.

At first, I did it at the gym 2-3 times a week, but I've since purchased an inexpensive bench and barbell set and do it at home 3x a week. I still do cardio (running mostly, some hiking) 3-4 times a week because I enjoy it and especially enjoy being able to eat like a hungry man. :laugh:

Lift how much?...that's where I'm lost....
  • Pfirmana
    Options
    I lift weights as a fat-burner/toner and it peels off the pounds for me. By doing 30 reps of the lowest weight, at a moderate pace, and heading directly to the elliptical/bike/treadmill after for 1 min, and then right back into a 2nd set of reps, you will be keeping your heart rate at an even elevated pace. You may look a little silly in the gym with all the back and forth, but it is so effective! Paired with eating clean, the last 10 pounds will be gone before you know it. I do 3 sets of 30 reps on each machine or "lift." Day 1 is chest/bicep, Day 2 is back/tricep, Day 3 is shoulders, Day 4 is Legs. Work one muscle group or a few muscle groups. not ALL! And then the other days of the week can be cardio, yoga, etc.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Lift how much?...that's where I'm lost....

What you can while maintaining proper form. It doesn't matter where you start, as long as it's challenging. I like doing three sets of eight reps, so whatever I can lift that amount where the last few reps are a challenge.
  • vtachycardia
    Options

The cardio can lead to muscle loss myth in people who strength train. Cardio can lead to muscle loss is a falsehood. Unless of course all the champion bodybuilders who do cardio for cutting right up to competition time are just wrong and all those pesky scientists.

"muscle mass will only truly disappear in extreme situations like malnutrition or in certain diseases like sarcopenia or muscular dystrophy."

Then of course, there are the different types of muscle fibres and how they do not perform the same function, hence good exercise is a mix of cardio and strength and balance and flexibiltity.

To the OP, perhaps those who have the difficulty just do not have the pounds to lose. Maybe, they are actually lean enough. Question is, who decided what weight you should be and is that the correct weight?
  • sanaa4560
    Options
    Huh these last 8 stupid pounds... bang my head offf... i really need to tone alot i m 46 kg now but dun hav z well defined n toned body.. i hate it .it is a trouble though..plz guide me to tone my body.i never lifted any weight nd currently doing turbofire 3x per week... help plz .. need to tone my core nd butts n shoulders badly...cnt go to gym only can do at home ;))
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump! :drinker:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    bump
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I am with you. I have turned into a cardio junkie. I still lift heavy 2-3 x week. Heavy. But not nearly as much as I used to. I may change that up soon but I am loving cardio right now. (I cant believe I just typed that!)
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You need both. I have ALWAYS done both. 3x a week cardio 3x a week strenght. Lift decent to heavy. Muscle burns more fat and keeps you toned for longer and holds everything together.
  • Ondreacrandall
    Ondreacrandall Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm someone that LOVES cardio exercise, however, I've always seem much better results from strength training. If your goal is overall health, I recommend being consistent with both because cardio exercise strengthens the heart. Overall wellness requires both cardio and strength training.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! i'm on my last 12 and I'm SO stuck it's silly.

For the Lifters - I've only been doing what feels comfortable to do at 12-14 reps at a time and make sure my muscles are Ok at the start and a little twingy - not screaming - at the end.

Should I be pushing it harder and adding more sets? I've been dong only 1 to 2 sets of 12-15. EG: Chest press - 30 lbs x 2 sets x 12 reps each. It's pretty comfortable. I do chest press, overhead, lat pull downs, free-weight ab curls and tricep curls, etc. but all are just barely out of comfort zone.

Should this be bumped up to something more intense or just go get a personal trainer to help?
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I am trying both.